Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bruce springsteen cancelled ....

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Water John wrote: »
    Some one saying Bruce looking for the publicity for himself.
    That's really laughable.

Made his point and maximised his impact in doing so.

The Boss doesn't need to prove anything. Been there, done that, many times over. Gives a 3 hour gig when most find themselves stretched if they do 90 mins.

But for someone who cares so much about his fans he caused maximum impact on them that could easily have been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,270 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think, while they would obviously disappointed they would both respect and agree with his decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

Academic wrote: »

Somehow I suspect PayPal et al will be happy to take their money when they buy on the internet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Academic wrote: »
    So you think it’s OK to fire someone from a job just because of their sexual orientation? You think it’s OK for a business to refuse to serve them for that reason? That’s what the legislation authorizes, you know. How are these not 'human rights' issues?

You’re also talking like Springstein’s alone in this. He’s not. A number of corporations are boycotting the state as well and that number is growing. And these boycotts work: they’ve been effective in changing similarly regressive legislation in other U.S. states in recent year.

Okay I don't know what you're on about. I'm speaking only about the toilet issue. Obviously I don't agree with someone being fired because of their sexual orientation. I think I've been quite rational in my opinions. I read the OP and it didn't mention firing these people or refusing to serve them. I'm shocked if this legislation really authorizes that. Are you sure?

If so, then I don't know why we've been talking about toilets which is a side issue by comparison.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Good man Bruce! Standing up for what he believes in. North Carolina is just another redneck backward Southern state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Okay I don't know what you're on about. I'm speaking only about the toilet issue. Obviously I don't agree with someone being fired because of their sexual orientation. I think I've been quite rational in my opinions. I read the OP and it didn't mention firing these people or refusing to serve them. I'm shocked if this legislation really authorizes that. Are you sure?

If so, then I don't know why we've been talking about toilets which is a side issue by comparison.

Yes. Others in addition to myself have provided information and links explaining the context and reach of HB2 and how it eliminates protection from housing, employment, service, and other forms of discrimination from which the rest of us are protected.

Edit: Here's another press report, this one from a Charlotte newspaper.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article68401147.html

Cheers,

Ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

While I applaud him for standing up for what he believes in I can't help but feel he could have cancelled earlier. I'm sure many a fan have taken time off work, booked hotels, etc this could have been handled much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

[...]

Only because the original post misrepresented the situation in those terms.

(Whether that was purposeful I don't know.)

Cheers,

Ac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Good man Bruce! Standing up for what he believes in. North Carolina is just another redneck backward Southern state.

In fairness though what has the state passing a law got to do with a Bruce Springsteen concert??? Nothing, I would think. He is just a singer after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

timthumbni wrote: »
    In fairness though what has the state passing a law got to do with a Bruce Springsteen concert??? Nothing, I would think. He is just a singer after all.

Blasphemy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Blasphemy!!

Have ye the ban hammer handy?:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    While I applaud him for standing up for what he believes in I can't help but feel he could have cancelled earlier. I'm sure many a fan have taken time off work, booked hotels, etc this could have been handled much better.

Exactly.
    Even as an alternative, he could have done the gig and end it with saying how he will never play there again as long as that law exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

muddypaws wrote: »
    I used to follow Spurs home and away, and sports grounds are generally where the women's toilets are easier to use than the mens. We were at a small lower league club for one match (can't remember where), not many toilets for away fans and the queue for the mens was very long, I went into the women's toilets to find men urinating in the sinks in there.

Bradford City, perhaps? They had one toilet for men and one for women in the away end. Not sure what point Springsteen is trying to make here. His fans are going to suffer the most. Cancelling the concerts is not going to force the powers that be to change their mind. Also, he has played in plenty of cities with similar laws. What's so special about North Carolina?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

For those of you saying that he has just annoyed the fans, well guess what? That was the point.

The fans that have paid for tickets, hotels etc will not not be happy with their local government (an obviously bruce, but that, as I said is his intent) and will remember when election time comes around.

NC has seen many companies jump ship and many movie / tv deals fall through. A new hulu series was meant to start taping there real soon but they packed it up and moved to british columbia instead. The constituents will see this and only the most hardened red neck will stick with their tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

For those of you saying that he has just annoyed the fans, well guess what? That was the point.

The fans that have paid for tickets, hotels etc will not not be happy with their local government (an obviously bruce, but that, as I said is his intent) and will remember when election time comes around.

NC has seen many companies jump ship and many movie / tv deals fall through. A new hulu series was meant to start taping there real soon but they packed it up and moved to british columbia instead. The constituents will see this and only the most hardened red neck will stick with their tune.

He didn't need to screw his own fans over the achieve this.

For a singer who writes about needing something in life to look forward to at the as a way of getting through a hum drum life he seems to forget that a lot of his fans were probably looking forward too this concert for a long while and they have now suffered through no fault of their own.

He easily could have cancelled the concert earlier to save his fans money and disappointment or promised never to play in North Carolina again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'm afraid not. You are comparing American and Irish voting habits there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I don't think that would be a very wise policy on his part. Why would he take it out on his fans? Seems stupid to be honest.

Advertisement