Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bruce springsteen cancelled ....

Options
  • 09-04-2016 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Bruce Springsteen cancelled a weekend concert in North Carolina to protest a new state law barring transgender people from choosing public toilets consistent with their gender identity.

The cancellation comes as a number of US states consider legislation seen as discriminatory to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights.

South Carolina politicians introduced a measure that would require transgender people to use public toilets matching their sex at birth, and Tennessee is considering a similar measure for students in public schools and colleges.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0409/780604-bruce-springsteen/

So do you afterhours think its right that transgender people should be able to use any bathrooms they like ?

It doesn't bother me in the slightest who uses what bathroom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Just have uni/omni sex toilets for all.

Ha haha..... omnisex

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why not just let anyone use whatever toilet they want, what could possibly be wrong with that and why is that not the current norm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Unisex toilets should be the norm these days.

Problem solved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh this will end well…

I've a couple of toilets in my gaff and they're not "gender labeled". All sorts of folks have used them and no issues so far.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is Springsteen playing in Ireland this summer? If so will he stage a boycott with regard to say abortion/freedom of choice issues here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Maybe he just wanted the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Unisex toilets should be the norm these days.

Problem solved.

Once they have urinals , I refuse to give up my god given right to pee standing up :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm really getting a pain in my h0le with these ambiguous thread titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

silverharp wrote: »
    Once they have urinals , I refuse to give up my god given right to pee standing up :pac:

And how do you pee into a regular toilet bowl???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭celt262

namloc1980 wrote: »
    And how do you pee into a regular toilet bowl???

He obviously sits down .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

You can take a leak standing up at the dunny too mate....

Sometimes I like to sit on mine when peeing too though, just for the novelty and laziness.

It seems a bit "right on"...I presume he has played in countries with what one might perceive as more pressing social issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Birneybau wrote: »

The OP just wanted to lure you into the thread. The vague thread title has worked ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh this will end well…

I've a couple of toilets in my gaff and they're not "gender labeled". All sorts of folks have used them and no issues so far.

Have they used your toilet at the same time? It's not just for hygiene, but a pervert/rapist can just dress as woman and hang around the toilets and he can't be kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Jan Laco wrote: »
    Have they used your toilet at the same time? It's not just for hygiene, but a pervert/rapist can just dress as woman and hang around the toilets and he can't be kicked out.

What are you on about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Unisex toilets in busy public places are a pain, I want urianls. I had urgent need of a lavatory/urinal recently but the gents only had cubicles, because of this there was a large queue and I had to wait 15 minutes just to take a piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Their not taken away your right to fire your weapon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Simple enough to go unisex toilets with a bank of urinals in a men only area and a similar set of toilets in women only. Everybody is happy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

We've already had to close another recent thread regarding trans issues and toilets. If this thread presents itself with further ridiculous insinuations like this, we will have no choice but to close this thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

sconhome wrote: »
    Simple enough to go unisex toilets with a bank of urinals in a men only area and a similar set of toilets in women only. Everybody is happy then.

Thats back to square one then.

There are places in the city centre were there are urinals in a common are and women just walk by the lads standing there talking away having a piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

So do you afterhours think its right that transgender people should be able to use any bathrooms they like ?

It doesn't bother me in the slightest who uses what bathroom.

You'll probably find some of after hours thoughts on it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98551853

There seems to be a lot more to the North Carolina laws, and Bruce Springsteen's cancellation than just the transgender toilets issue, so it's a shame, in my opinion, not to have a more general discussion on the issue, rather than just honing in on one aspect of it.

Also, good to see that there are some big companies like Bank of America and Apple criticising the North Carolina laws.

Paypal have even pulled out of plans to expand in the state as a result.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Have they used your toilet at the same time?
    Well there was this one shindig back in 04…
    It's not just for hygiene, but a pervert/rapist can just dress as woman and hang around the toilets and he can't be kicked out.
    :pac:
    sconhome wrote: »
    Simple enough to go unisex toilets with a bank of urinals in a men only area and a similar set of toilets in women only.
    AKA Men's toilets layout.

To be fair I can see some kickback to public unisex toilets and nada to do with Trans people either. I would suspect that there would be enough average men and women with no agendas involved that might be uncomfortable sharing public toilet facilities with their opposite gender.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

You should make a thread and call it "I'm really getting a pain in my hole with.."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Is anyone thinking about the dragons? Where will they pee?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Lights On wrote: »
    You should make a thread and call it "I'm really getting a pain in my hole with.."

So basically an angrier version of the much vilified (by Mods) 'trivial annoyance' thread?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I like the way no one fell for the bait and now we have to have an earnest discussion on who can use the jacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Not to put a wotsit in the parade of irritation about toilets, but the law being repealed is also the same law that gives gay people protection in the workplace. It isn't all just about loos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

What's stopping a man from pretending to be a woman to man transgender and then doing his sexual assault in the woman's toilets? They didn't really think that through did they but what do you expect from republicans.

I doubt the law would stop someone either way from sexually assaulting another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What's stopping a man from pretending to be a woman to man transgender and then doing his sexual assault in the woman's toilets? They didn't really think that through did they but what do you expect from republicans.

I doubt the law would stop someone either way from sexually assaulting another.

I wonder if there was this amount of hysteria a few decades ago about gay men using male toilets to rape other men...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Fair play, Bruce. Stands up for what he believes in and does something about it.

As for the loos? Go omni, sure! No problem with me. We had them at uni and it caused zero problems :)

Advertisement