Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking at home alone...or drinking in pubs...

Options
  • 08-04-2016 11:22pm

...so for 20 years I did the whole pub and party thing, last man drinking, crashing in the door at 5 and 6am, and loved it. Sneered at fellows drinking at home, thought it almost pointed to a problem.

In the past year, at the age of 41, I've kinda got the flea in the ear from the wife and went cold turkey. After years of burning the candle at both ends, just switched it off. Now haven't been out after midnight in over a year.

When I was doing the whole partying thing, thought drinking at home alone sounded depressing. Now wife and kid in bed, on 5th can, watching tv...and wondering why I spent so many years thinking this was so bad.

Have I just forgotten how good it was and become institutionalised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

I was a bit of a lash head myself, then beers starting giving me headaches after one.

Then one night, cracked a bottle of some very nice beer, cold as the look in the nurses eye as she gives you the jab, and it was heaven.

Still have to drink about 2 litres of water not to end up with a head like a half eaten chip the next day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Why do it alone...gang of friends...posh beers and hours of messing and ****e talk...happy days. Always goes to ****e in a pub after anyway. Spending money for money's sake..queuing for entry....queuing for below par beer....queuing for a piss...struggling home...meh...give me a house and a load of beer and friends anyday. Always better if it's not your house too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I do both but I make my own beer and usually have the lads over for some beers, pizza while watching the fights of a Saturday night. Almost prefer it to crowded expensive pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Drinking at home alone-not for me, personally. I did a bit of it for a while, when watching TV series and it became a habit that needed to stop fairly sharply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Complete party animal. Every weekend I'd have been out. Didn't matter if I was off the next day, or if I was at work the next day, I'd worry about the next day that morning. My partner in crime, he was no better. A couple who rave together stays together, apparently.

When I was in college id be drinking most nights of the week and never got out of the pre drinking stage, to me that's one of the most enjoyable parts of a night out. Trip to the off licence, all the girls over, getting ready together, getting drum as we do so, being ready and sitting down to get drunk with everyone before getting a taxi.

I took a break from drinking for almost a year last year. I'm much calmer now, but still, run amuck when I get out. Most Sunday's I'll wake up still plastered. It's a bit worrying to be honest. I don't know how I manage to get so drunk that I'm still balls to the wall the following afternoon.

I love having a glass of wine at home, but like going out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Depends on your age and ability to stay awake and keep talking really!

I cannot do pubs and noise now at all. Sorry all you youngers out there!, guarantee you will be me some day!

But there is nothing like getting into the pjs, heat on, good telly show or something, and a few beers or wines whatever.

At the end of the day I am not a paedophile, or a scumbag, or a ratbag criminal.

So what the feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Drinking at home is odd...

As if find I could easily go months on end without drinking and

then when I'd have like maybe two drinks at home I'd be pure raging to head out and then remember I live in the middle of nowhere and don't drink-drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

then when I'd have like maybe two drinks at home I'd be pure raging to head out and then remember I live in the middle of nowhere and don't drink-drive

This. Drinking at home whets an appetite for a bit of liveliness and atmosphere for me, and also live in middle of nowhere so it's not an option. So I limit home drinking to 1-2 bottles of beer or glass of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There are three bottles of Corona Extra in the fridge downstairs. Just waiting for the two housemates spending the past few days moving their gear out.

• Advertisement

Complete party animal. Every weekend I'd have been out. Didn't matter if I was off the next day, or if I was at work the next day, I'd worry about the next day that morning. My partner in crime, he was no better. A couple who rave together stays together, apparently.

Actually that is particularly true in my case - we started going out in '91 and raved together during the days when acid house was near the end and rave and breakbeats were taking over. 92-95 was just nuts.

My wife bailed on the whole partying thing in the late 00s, our mid 30s. I clung on for 5 or 6 more years. Then baby came along. And now I've quit it...and joined the ranks of the buy a 6 pack stay at home type.

Always thought it sounded depressing. But now I'm in it...it's fine. So just wondering was I wrong all along and I overrated my nights out...or have I become middle aged and boring and am I overrating my nights in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Meh as long as you're happy I wouldn't worry about it being boring.
    If you weren't enjoying it itd be a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i like the odd 1 at home myself. the odd time i will have a good few but these days i do like a clear head. i used to like the whole going out to a club or pub and drinking, but now the expence, and the fact music is getting ****ter by the day, means i'm no longer really bothered. i can drink at home for a lot cheeper, listen to the music i want to listen to, what's not to like.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I like both. I'd have a bottle or two of beer at home when I'm watching my stories. Drinking in the pub is my preference though. I like having a bit of craic with randomers and a dance if there's live music. I'm just in fron the pub actually. Didn't drink much but my friend and I know how to have a good time.

That's what it's all about really. Enjoy life. If it works for you then keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Having my Coronas now. Bloody two housemates staying in their new place tonight yet have another load of washing going at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

No problem drinking at home. Love drinking alone.

Pop on a good movie or a good book. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I would very rarely drink at home alone, once or twice a year tops but if the lads are around I've no problem staying in for cans watching a fight, game of poker or whatever.

I prefer the pub tbh. Usually meet up with a good crowd of friends and have the craic :)

I'm sure as I get older that might change though!

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

all alone is all we all are

• Registered Users Posts: 38,061 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I like having a few drinks and listening to my ipod/spotify etc.

It's more about the social aspects in going to pubs than the drinking to me

I'm beyond the whole 'wahey student life bolexe'. Alcohol is a big problem with third level students in Ireland

• Advertisement

XR3i wrote: »

what else should i be ? All apologies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

XR3i wrote: »

Allmost nirvanic.

almost.

Its "all in all is all we are"

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Heckler wrote: »
    almost

There is an extra all in the OP.
    Thats why its allmost.
    Not almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Don't drink anymore but I'd be lying if I didn't say my social life has taken a nose drive. You just cannot beat the pub, you meet new people, score and have the best fun with your friends.

Of course if you're married and kids are popping out then I think there is really no need at all for that! There should be no need to be going to the pub every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Drinking at home alone as I post this, in fact couldn't wait to get home from the pub and have a quiet few beers and a smoke of the auld Mary Jane !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I think its fine to have a few drinks on your own at home, if you just enjoy having a drink. If youre drinking alone out of loneliness or some other emotional issue then thats when its a problem. Personally I cant drink alone, I end up getting really depressed and then wake up with a hangover, waste of alcohol. So I only drink if its a social thing.

6541 wrote: »
    Drinking at home alone as I post this, in fact couldn't wait to get home from the pub and have a quiet few beers and a smoke of the auld Mary Jane !

Yup . Love social drinks but sometimes nothing better than off home and having a beer or a smoke or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There is nothing wrong with having a few beers at home as long as you don't make a habit of it (says the man who did make a habit of it)

But it can actually be quite fun. Working a hard long week and all you want to do is binge watch a show (even movies, even a video game) all while having a few.

But..., and I am sorry to be blunt on this one, see all those people who say "drinking at home is sad" ? ... get a reality check. Everyone unwinds differently.
    It's not like you are sitting on a chair in the corner, drinking by yourself. With only your thoughts. This aint 1985 with RTE going off-air at 12am, with no VHS player. The whole idea of "drinking alone is sad" doesn't quite hold much value these days as our fathers said.

I could crack open a few beers and watch season 2 of Daredevil tomorrow night if I, or anyone else, should choose. It's not sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

When I did drink I never drank at home, always made it to my local bar, it never personally appealed to me,always needed company around me.

Advertisement