Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off Ireland is back !

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

NiallBoo wrote: »
    I thought it was illegal to charge for tap water?

It isn't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah ...... anyone know anything about that?

Don't believe it is at all tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

NiallBoo wrote: »
    I thought it was illegal to charge for tap water?

You've been listening to Paul Murphy and Co. haven't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I googled it, don't think it was someone I know, they just forwarded me a picture of the receipt. Anyway, here it is, 3 euro for a glass of water, €9 in total

http://i.imgur.com/SPf6OFj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Cienciano wrote: »
    I googled it, don't think it was someone I know, they just forwarded me a picture of the receipt. Anyway, here it is, 3 euro for a glass of water, €9 in total

3 euro for a glass of water?!?! get out of that.

Got to love the way restaurants are charging for water now. Even tho they always had to pay water rates. It's just them trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes :pac:
    But the beauty part is that if someone says "why am I being charged for water?" they can easily say it's because of the water rates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

3 euro for a glass of water?!?! get out of that.

Got to love the way restaurants are charging for water now. Even tho they always had to pay water rates. It's just them trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes :pac:
    But the beauty part is that if someone says "why am I being charged for water?" they can easily say it's because of the water rates.

i would say it had more to do with the fact that in order for you to have that glass of water the company has to have lights on, machinary operating, a glass, someone to serve you the glass filled with water, someone to clean up after you, wash the glass and get ready for the next customer who wants somwthing for free.

The company would be losing money by not charging for the water

it says tape water, why would they add an E to the end of the word???? You sure it wasnt bottled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

esforum wrote: »
    i would say it had more to do with the fact that in order for you to have that glass of water the company has to have lights on, machinary operating, a glass, someone to serve you the glass filled with water, someone to clean up after you, wash the glass and get ready for the next customer who wants somwthing for free.

The company would be losing money by not charging for the water

There is a cost alright but there is not a €3 cost to a glass of tap water, that is a Rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

I think it is illegal to charge for tap water unless it is a priced item on the menu or wine list.

trellheim wrote: »
    I think it is illegal to charge for tap water unless it is a priced item on the menu or wine list.

did you read the thread?
    There is a cost alright but there is not a €3 cost to a glass of tap water, that is a Rip off.

Agreed but it cant be free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

That's actually disgraceful. If a company is going to charge you for tap water, they should inform you when you order. That's more expensive than a bottle of ballygowan

€3 for tape water?

This place is a ripe off.

You should have had a pope off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Love to know what 'dirty fries' are btw?

I once found a public hair in fries. Think that fitted the description.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Rothmans wrote: »
    That's actually disgraceful. If a company is going to charge you for tap water, they should inform you when you order. That's more expensive than a bottle of ballygowan

Makes Irish Water seem rather a bargain !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was a bit of a Joe Duffy furore in the early 00's when papers reported that some Dublin pubs and restaurants were charging for water.

Opinion columns filled with long rants about the human right to water, politicians declared they'd look into making it illegal, commentators dragged up old myths about obligations to provide water to a weary traveller, the red tops went on name and shame campaigns.

Most places stopped charging for water for about 2 years which led some people to believe it had become illegal.

It hadn't. Nothing changed.

One of the most decisive anecdotes was about a man who went into a pub to read his paper, asked for a glass of water and was charged 50c for it.
    People were broadly divided into two groups - pubs are an essential social service who shouldn't charge for water -v- pubs are a business who can't afford to have freeloaders using their facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭Allinall

seamus wrote: »

One of the most decisive anecdotes was about a man who went into a pub to read his paper, asked for a glass of water and was charged 50c for it.
    People were broadly divided into two groups - pubs are an essential social service who shouldn't charge for water -v- pubs are a business who can't afford to have freeloaders using their facilities.

If I owned or ran a pub, and anyone came on to read their paper, or watch a match or whatever without buying as much as a cup of tea, I'd run them out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Paying for a glass of water, **** that, here in spain that never happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Allinall wrote: »
    If I owned or ran a pub, and anyone came on to read their paper, or watch a match or whatever without buying as much as a cup of tea, I'd run them out of the place.

Run them out of the place is the least you should do, just rude to think its acceptable. Like a cup of tea isnt going to kill you

• Advertisement

Paying for a glass of water, **** that, here in spain that never happens.

ha, nice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Next time bring your own water :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

mikeym wrote: »
    Next time bring your own water :D

I'm partial to a Ballygowan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

jelutong wrote: »
    €5:50 for a pint? of Guinness in a plastic container in The Halfpenny pub in Dublin on Easter Sunday. Didn't have a second one.

Out of curiosity, was it a 400 ml plastic glass? These "pints" are popular at gigs and other envies that refuse pint glasses for "elf and safety" reasons - works out much more than €5.50 a pint. Hip flask all the way for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

€3 for tape water?

This place is a ripe off.

You should have had a pope off them.

Email into Conor Pop :p

Afaik its €7 for plastic glass of beer in the Point, last Dec when i was there, no thanks :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Fried dropped on a filthy floor and swept back in to the bucket by the chefs nike runners, hey €3.85 nearly as cheap as the tape water - bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd have no problem paying for water if that was the only thing I wanted, but if im going in there spending X amount of money on food then the least they can do is include the tap water.
    I was quite sick a few months ago, and was at a show with a tea/coffee facility at the interval, I felt rotten and had lemsip in my bag and needed hot water. I would have no problem paying in this instance, as I'm taking a disposable cup, and the water had to be boiled, and I wasn't buying anything else. Now she didn't take the money but I wouldn't have been annoyed if she did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

In a city centre 5 star hotel for the biggest rip of drink on the planet I'd expect €7.30
    A place in Sydney attempted to charge me $32 for a Jameson and coke a few years back. With the exchange rate at the time, that was around €27.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I'm guessing you were in the Westin, a 5-star hotel. You could have gone to any number of bars within a 1 minute walk for a lot less.

Do you have to show proof of a respectable Dublin postal code to get in there in the first place?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Billy86 wrote: »
    A place in Sydney attempted to charge me $32 for a Jameson and coke a few years back. With the exchange rate at the time, that was around €27.

Did you bargain them down?

Advertisement