Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat 9th April 9th Connacht V Grenoble - European Glory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

C'est ca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ah drat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

They went off their feet first ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Sickener

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ach Connacht cough up a penalty......end of.

Shame. Some game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Unlucky for Connacht. Thought they were the better team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭A-Train

As much as I wanted Connacht to win and they played some great rugby, they threw that away tonight with some of the craziest, stupidest rugby I have seen in a long time.

They were cruising in the 1st half and just needed to put boot to ball at times. Head wrecking stuff!

Hard luck any way on to the league now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What happened? Did connacht lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

I cant believe we let that one slip away! We should have these lads beaten!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Fantastic performance, considering we had no out half at the end. Hopefully no major injuries. Time to focus on the Pro 12. Bring on Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

mansize wrote: »
    That's it for Henshaw in Green in Europe

This actually adds nothing. Just salt in the wound.

Stay classy mansize.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jesus what a sickener. Carr almost broke the last tackle to go in for a try at the death. Should have worked a drop goal attempt from that position at least.

Stheno wrote: »
    What happened? Did connacht lose?

33-32

Grenoble got late DG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Ref hadn't the balls to call the penalty for Grenoble off their feet at the end but in all honesty we threw that away twice from a commanding position. Thankfully Harlequins beat London Irish. Bad as it is the thought of having blown a semi-final at home to London Irish would be difficult to stomach.

its_phil wrote: »
    This actually adds nothing.

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PancakeJOE

No shame in losing to a european powerhouse... :-P Really though connacht have won irish rugby this year,They have put themselves into THE limelight and have advanced in a way the italians and the other defunct teams couldnt. Bravo Connacht you have replaced munster as my second team.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah hard luck Connacht. Really lacked shape in attack there at the end, but that's probably down to the guys they're missing more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The yellow card was the losing of that really.
    good game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think we deserved a win there, if we any one of the other 3 out halves available that was a win...

Gutted, but oh well, put Munster in the sights now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If he hadn't slipped Carr might have been in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 PancakeJOE

No shame in losing to a european powerhouse... :-P Really though connacht have won irish rugby this year,They have put themselves into the limelight and have advanced in a way the italians and the other defunct teams couldnt. Bravo Connacht you have replaced munster as my second team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Synode wrote: »

I don't think luck had much to do with it, sadly. Connacht were in winning positions in both halves and managed to throw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Jesus what a sickener. Carr almost broke the last tackle to go in for a try at the death. Should have worked a drop goal attempt from that position at least.

No kicker on the field to take a drop goal. Cooney(who isn't a kicker) took the previous penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If he hadn't slipped Carr might have been in

He was definitely in had he kept his footing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

Synode wrote: »

defence is a big issue for them. Averaging 20 points against per game in the pro 12. The offence game is great to watch but exit strategies are non existant. Its perfectly alright to do the boring stuff sometimes because when you do get that balance right you win things.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

I thought so too but with this Connacht team I bet they were thinking we have momentum, try-time.

I also thought that Grenoble were very quick off there line/offside for the last few phases but fair dues to there kicker Wisniewski who was deadly.

We really should have put Grenoble away though after being 19-3 up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

surely one of the other players could of taken a drop-goal, without all our injuries we would have won that, also missed Aly's strength in possesion, if he was;nt injured then not having him at least on the bench was a major oversight

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

I feel like crying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Trying to be impartial, Connacht were the more exciting side just about but Grenoble probably did deserve the win after controlling territory and possession far more.

The outhalves were the difference in the result, overall, though. O'Leary showed some nice touches but was far, far too aggressive in his play at times despite not having the ability to deliver those moments. Some terrible kicking from hand killed his side.

Twice Connacht got well ahead (19-3 in the first half and then were 29-16 up after 53 minutes) but yielded control far too easily. On both occasions, they completely retreated into themselves.

This is only their first season reaching such levels though and they'll be better for the experience. They're missing important players and have a solid outhalf on the way. Hopefully, they'll more than close that sort of fixture out next season when they're in the Champions Cup playing where they now deserve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement