Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat 9th April 9th Connacht V Grenoble - European Glory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Barring divine intervention Connacht have thrown this away. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

O'Leary needs to calm the **** down at half time. A cross field kick inside your own 22 might work out 1 time in 100, it's never ever ever a good option. Then following it up with a restart out on the full....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

vienne86 wrote: »
    16-19. Feeling less confident now, but what a half of rugby!
    Exactly, it was a proper half of exciting rugby. not recently witnessed. loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fair enough, but I meant just on Wiesnieski as he waltzed through. So annoying to see such poor missed tackles.

Absolutely.

For as good as they are in attack, Connacht need to spend a lot of time working on their defence from here on in. Those missed tackles weren't issues with a system though, they were tackles that guys would make if they were 15-14 up in the 78th minute. Mentally, they weren't switched on and let their standards slip.

I think it was Connolly who will be quite sheepish looking at the footage. Most opensides love the opportunity to get a clear hit on the opposition outhalf. He might as well have waved him through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Need to re-gather ourselves. We've thrown away a fantastic position through our restarts once again being sub-par/us trying to play rugby where it's not on. Last restart, 90 seconds left against a team with momentum Shane O'Leary can not take the risk of kicking that out on the full.

19-16. Sickened we aren't further ahead and the momentum is now against us but still very winnable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

Buer wrote: »
    Those missed tackles weren't issues with a system though, they were tackles that guys would make if they were 15-14 up in the 78th minute. Mentally, they weren't switched on and let their standards slip.

I think that is something which keeps a few connacht players out of the national side.

Bazzo wrote: »
    O'Leary needs to calm the **** down at half time. A cross field kick inside your own 22 might work out 1 time in 100, it's never ever ever a good option. Then following it up with a restart out on the full....

He's not doing that off the cuff. That's how Connacht play and often try to run and create something from their own 22. It's fantastic to watch but O'Leary isn't good enough to be pulling those moves.

Lam and Muldoon have to take things under their control now. I always wonder how Lam would have played these scenarios as a player. He tells his lads to play heads up and attack in their own 22 even in risky situations but I remember watching him in 2000 in the HEC final and he was phenomenal. He took so much on himself from 8 and drove his team forward through his pack.

Connacht would give their right arm to have a 2000 Pat Lam on the field right now.

Need to re-gather ourselves. We've thrown away a fantastic position through our restarts once again being sub-par/us trying to play rugby where it's not on. Last restart, 90 seconds left against a team with momentum Shane O'Leary can not take the risk of kicking that out on the full.

19-16. Sickened we aren't further ahead and the momentum is now against us but still very winnable.

Zero sum game now. Connacht have their noses in front and need to go out again and do the exact same and, when they get the scores, shut the game down. They're well able.

Can absolutely do this.

neelia11 wrote: »
    I think that is something which keeps a few connacht players out of the national side.
    at least we know how to entertain. how couldnt you love this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He's not doing that off the cuff. That's how Connacht play and often try to run and create something from their own 22. It's fantastic to watch but O'Leary isn't good enough to be pulling those moves.

Lam and Muldoon have to take things under their control now. I always wonder how Lam would have played these scenarios as a player. He tells his lads to play heads up and attack in their own 22 even in risky situations but I remember watching him in 2000 in the HEC final and he was phenomenal. He took so much on himself from 8 and drove his team forward through his pack.

Connacht would give their right arm to have a 2000 Pat Lam on the field right now.

I'm well aware they play attacking rugby ;)

But if you want attack there go through the hands, that cross field kick was lunacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Good man O'Leary - great touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Class!

Healy try after a messed up lineout!!!!!! YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jesus this is fun!

Dillane is some beast.

Healys wheels are outrageous.

4th try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭A-Train

Nice try by Healy after a great Grenoble maul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Comedy or errors lol

MATT HEALY again

Great conversion! I wonder what O'Leary had at half time!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who was it that stopped that 8 man maul dead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭b.gud

Heaaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyyyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

YOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Healy for Lions

Decent tackle from Carr to cause the KO.

Dillane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Dunno but whoever it was it looked amazing... That thing was steaming forward like a train and was brought to a shuddering halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭b.gud

Muldoon I think.

Great defence from Carr there to win a scrum

Great take by Carr there.

Good scrum pressure by Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Connacht cannot concede penalties in their own half. Wisniewski is a proper outhalf who can kick quite well and run a back line.

He's like a French version of Gopperth.
    Buer wins the prize :D

Great comebak by Connacht. Need to make it stick now, none of the heroics of the latter part of the first half now please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement