Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting Rifle Comp - April 23rd - MNSCI

Options
  • 07-04-2016 9:56pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Midlands National Shooting Centre of ireland is pleased to announce an Open Hunting rifle competition scheduled for Saturday April 23rd, 2016.

As said this is an open shoot and for hunting rifles only. The rifle can be of any caliber but the compeitition will be split into rimifre and centrefire.

Category |
    Position
    | Distance | Total Rounds |
    Rimfire | Prone/rested | 100 yards |
    |

Category |
    Position
    |
    Distance
    |
    Total Rounds
    |
    Centrefire | Prone/rested | 100 & 200 yards |
    20 (10 per distance)
    |

The target will be a herd of deer. Each shooter will have their "own herd". At random intervals a target will appear in one of the deer. There will be 3 second and 6 second exposures. On the 3 second exposure you will fire one shot, and on the 6 second exposure you will fire two shots. There will be at least 10 seconds between the 6 second exposures.

There are a couple of rules:
    • All rifles must have a magazine
    • Any sights are permitted
    • All distances will be shot from the prone and rested position. (i'll elaborate on what level of rest when i have it)

The competition will commences at 11 am sharp. Anyone wishing to enter should text JP on 0868232641. This is necessary to arrange details, targets, etc.

Entry fee is €15.

Upon arrival you must register at the front office, and produce a valid FAC as well as insurance.

As said above i'll post more details as soon as i get them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Okay Folks, as promised updates/amendments. For anything else check out the MNSCI Facebook page or the MNSCI website.

On magazines. Whether it's a single shot, floor plate, top loader, etc, etc. its welcome to be used in the comp. Whatever you've got, use it.

On rested prone position. Rested is front rest ONLY. NO back bag/rest/support of any kind. The front rest can be anything. Sand bag, SEB rest, dufflebag, coat, free hand. Whatever blows your hair back.

Now onto the actual shooting part. To elaborate a little more on the details. All 100 yard shooting will be done first. This will include all rimfire shooters and all centrefire shooters. Once all competitors have shot at 100 the rimfire lads can grab a mug of tea while the centre fire lads fall back to 200 yards to complete their details.

Format of details will be the same for rimfire and centrefire. Only difference being centrefire shooters will do ten at 100 and ten at 200. Rimfire shooters will compete at 100 yards only.
    • Four rounds at four exposures. Each exposure will be 3 seconds with exposures 8 - 10 seconds apart. If you have a mag then load the four. If a single feeder then it doesn't really matter.
    • You will then have 20 seconds to load 2 rounds ONLY into your mag (again single fed is moot). A new exposure will happen and will remain for 6 seconds. You fire both shots at this single exposure.
    • Repeat this twice more, with 2 rounds each time at two separate exposures of 6 seconds. Each time you'll have 20 seconds between exposures to load 2 rounds.
    • Once all ten are fired, the process will be repeated for rimfire shooters ONLY.
    • Centrefire shooters will cease shooting at 100 yards. They will fall back and repeat the above at 200 yards (once the rimfire shooters have finished and the range is clear to do so obviously)

Here are the targets. The first is the deer target with no exposure. Each hole is 9 inches.

This one is the deer target with the target exposed. Note the top middle deer, the cut out is filled with the target that’s to be shot. It will remain there for three seconds for a single shot, and six seconds approx for two shots

This is the view from the 100 yard firing point.

Onto the registration/entrance. The fees are as follows:
    • Single entry - €15
    • Entry for two events (any two) - €25
    • Re-entry for any event (single) - €10

There is no pre-registration and walk ins are most welcome. However it is asked that all those wishing to compete text JP on 0868232641 with their name and whether its C/F, R/F or both. As said above this is to help arrange details, etc.

The range will be made available to anyone that wants after the comp is over. If you want to have another bash, after the comp, you're more than welcome and of course the full range of ranges are available all day. Also the range is available, by appointment, to practice on if anyone wants to try it before the competition day. Just contact JP.

Should be a good day out with some good fun to be had.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

A reminder this event is on this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭brieny1000

Hi Cass, for two first timers to a range/rifle comp is there anything we should know/bring other than the obvious . Is there any restrictions on rounds (subs/hv) , ballistic tips etc?
    Thanks

The MNSCI has no restrictions on rounds. It's the only range in the country where you can shoot up to .50cal so HV rounds won't cause any bother.

There are a few things you will need to know if its your first time on a range. You probably already know most, but i'll list as many as i can;
    • License and Insurance - You will need to produce both upon arrival/registration at the club house reception. Don't forget them as the range will not let you shoot if you cannot show the firearm is licensed to you.
    • Rifle case - All firearms (not just rifles) entering and leaving the range must be cased. No exceptions. The only time your firearm can be out of the case is when you're on the firing line and the RO tells you its safe to uncase.
    • Ear defenders - Plugs or defenders, but as there will be a lot of shooters defenders are better. If you don't have any (plugs or defenders) there should be spares on the day, but its best to try and have a set with you.
    • Breech Flag - All ranges demand either a breech flag or to remove the magazine and bolt if you have none. So if you don't have one, don't worry. The RO will tell you to insert the breech flag or in the case of those without one to remove the bolt and magazine (once the firearms have been made safe/cleared)

Make sure to list off the stuff you'll need for the comp and get it ready the night before so you're not rushing to get ready that morning. They include:
    • Rifle
    • Bolt
    • Mag(s)
    • Ammo
    • Bipod/front rest
    • Lying down mat (not vital, but if you have one)
    • Wet gear (weather i meant to be good, but a spare pair of boots, etc)
    • Rifle case
    • Suppressor (if using one or your gun is zeroed with it on)

This is a bit of fun. The rules are their for your, and other shooters, safety, but they will not interfere with your enjoyment of the day. There will be multiple ROs so if you are in doubt about what to do, what was said, how to act, where to go, etc. just ask any RO. They'll be the ones with the Red Jackets.

This also goes for when you are on the firing line. If you're not ready stick your hand up and say you're not ready. Don't rush yourself or get caught unready because you don't want to ask. If you don't hear what the RO is saying, stick the hand up and ask. Please don't be shy on this. I've seen lads hurrying to get ready rather than stick their hand up and ask for more time or say they're simply not ready.

One other tip. Make sure you know your drops/clicks and that your rifle is zeroed. Its surprising the amount of people that think they're guns are zeroed when they're actually not and it can cost them a good score.

Lastly enjoy yourself.

Thanks Cass. Sounds like good crack.
    I'm looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Never made up to this, but have been speaking to a few people and by accounts a great day out.

Good attendance and i was told the ROs, and organisers were impressed with the standard of shooting. apparently some 4 or 5 lads cleared the board and most were right up there with V-bulls separating the tops 5.

The rimfire section seemed to do well also, but i'd say ye were plagued with the wind.

There is already talk for another one, but it was suggested that to get the craic out of it the round count for rimfires can be raised to 50, 70 or even 100 rounds if people want.

Anyone attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭German pointer

I was there a great day out with some impressive shooting out of a possible 200 score the centre fire results shooting between 100 and 200 yards

First place 198 with 7 v
    Second 198 with 5 v
    Third 196 with 8 v
    Fourth. 182 with 5v
    Fifth. 180 with 4v
    I did piss poor myself being close to the bottom

The rim fire shooting was also impressive. I'm not sure what the other lads on the line were using but there was some .22 WMR's 17HMR''s but as expected most were .22lr's with a mix of bolt and semi autos shooting at 100 yards

First place. 196 with 2 v
    Second. 191 with 9 v
    Third. 190 with 12 v
    Fourth. 189 with 3 v
    Fifth. 170 with no v
    I was using the trusty 10/22 and came in fourth

That is some nice shooting lad, by everyone.

I'd say your biggest problem with the rimfires, all of them, was the wind. I find i forget to hold off for some shots which make me drop points.

What do you think about a similar shoot, but with rabbits or the like, for rimfire only. Hold the C/F stuff aswell, but use the deer for them at the longer ranges.

Personally I'd be up for any type of comps and life size game targets with kill zones marked and scored would be nice. Not just hitting a bulls eye all the time.

I found my biggest problem with the rimfires was" brain freeze", ha ha. I Dialed for wind and got it all wrong, tried to correct and made it worse!!. Great day though. A really impressive place. Thanks to those evolved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Windage for hmr was 1.75moa, I'd guess a .22 would have needed 3 or 4 moa depending on ammo. That low bank on the lhs took the sting out of the wind and shooting prone kept us below the worst of it.
    There was no mercy for butterfingers though, I only got 19 shots off on time :(

brieny1000 wrote: »
    I Dialed for wind and got it all wrong, tried to correct and made it worse!!.
    Been there, done that. :o
    Great day though. A really impressive place. Thanks to those evolved
    Great to hear, and annoyed i had to miss it, but i'll be there for the next one.
    Deaf git wrote: »
    There was no mercy for butterfingers though, I only got 19 shots off on time :(
    Done that too on a previous shoot. Racked the bolt, pulled the trigger, and "click". Waited a safe amount of time to check only to realise i never had a round in the mag. Missed two exposures.

Still it's half the fun. Tests speed, accuracy, and it's why i keep saying it's mostly hunters that will win these comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I was delighted with 190/12v for 19 shots. It was hard to see bullet holes on the red target card so it was guess the wind, fire and hope for the best.
    I'm blaming the late shot on an awkward mag release. Thats my excuse.

There was no mercy for butterfingers though, I only got 19 shots off on time[/quote]

It happened me on the centre fire i didn't have the mag clipped in properly and cycled the bolt twice on an empty chamber so missed the shot and made a dogs dinner of it trying to catch up later.

Deaf git wrote:
    I was delighted with 190/12v for 19 shots. It was hard to see bullet holes on the red target card so it was guess the wind, fire and hope for the best. I'm blaming the late shot on an awkward mag release. Thats my excuse.

If you had got that shot off you would have made a clean sweep of it.

Just thinking the same thing.

Advertisement