Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too hipster for school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

it's conditioning. Wear a uniform, have your hair the way you are told to have it, behave as you're told, don't question authority, just learn what's on the blackboard, keep the head down, don't answer back and from there on it's straight on to the jobs market, wear a suit (uniform), shut up, do your job, don't answer back, don't question anything, etc...
    It pains me as a German to say this, but you Irish have had your balls cut off.

Hey, I liked wearing my uniform! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Goodluck to him when he hits the job market and will have to shave it off anyway.
    Its a 'beard' of a 17 year old.

Yeah because beards are statistically linked with unemployment... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ruu wrote: »

Wouldn't know, never wore one at school. Hated the army one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/bf/9c/8a/bf9c8aa03fb459a73de73ba1d7b30dbc.jpg ;) :cool:

I sympathise with the chap. I think uniforms/hair/make-up rules in schools need to be updated and relaxed. That said school is school and the rules are the rules. If the policy is no beard then off it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Talk of the town/nets for his individuality and nonconformity.

Mission...like, you know.....uhhh....I mean... I guess its accomplished ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I sympathise with the chap. I think uniforms/hair/make-up rules in schools need to be updated and relaxed. That said school is school and the rules are the rules. If the policy is no beard then off it goes.

Exactly.

If he had written a well thought out piece on why he should be allowed to have a beard, it would have been more effective instead of a rant accusing the school of bullying and racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

you would think one of his mates could tell him he looks like a hairy arse with the beard.At least wait until you can grow a proper beard before going out in public with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I sympathise with the chap. I think uniforms/hair/make-up rules in schools need to be updated and relaxed.

I disagree. Set boundaries, and let the students test them. If they get around the rules/policies somehow that shows initiative. But if it's bullheaded "I WANT MY WAY THIS IS STUPID LIFE SUCKS IM 16 I CAN DO WHAT I WANT" then show them the policy and have them suck it up.

Keep the uniforms and keep the rules on appearance. Children and young adults have enough to be worrying about, without bringing in appearance in school into the mix

Witchie wrote: »
    I agree that the beard rule is stupid, but it still is one of the rules of the school. There are other less strict schools in the town that he could go to if he has an issue with the rules.

As a veteran of boarding school where the rules were applied with zeal, 24/7 and 365, I can't help but be on the side of the loser with the beard who wants to take on the school and stick it to the man, and whatever other '80's movie cliche I can think off.

They've probably banned dancing in the town too!

• Advertisement

discus wrote: »
    I disagree. Set boundaries, and let the students test them. If they get around the rules/policies somehow that shows initiative. But if it's bullheaded "I WANT MY WAY THIS IS STUPID LIFE SUCKS IM 16 I CAN DO WHAT I WANT" then show them the policy and have them suck it up.

Keep the uniforms and keep the rules on appearance. Children and young adults have enough to be worrying about, without bringing in appearance in school into the mix

ok, you have a point, but cut him some slack, he's 16, you cannot always expect a perfectly thought out, rational argument from someone in the throws of puberty. :D

discus wrote: »

Your post is deeply confused.

On the one hand you disagree with me and call for the retention of the strict and totally out of date rules regarding appearance. On the other you suggest its too much to have children and young people worrying about their appearance! While literally advocating a policy which forcibly enforces a narrow vision of acceptable appearance. And the to add chaos to confusion you also praise those who reject those rules.

I think a far more sensible approach is to acknowledge that we've moved on from the time when men had to be clean shaven with tight hair cuts, and women had to have long skirts and baggy jumpers. A uniform has worth and value but it needn't reflect values and ideals long since discarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ok, you have a point, but cut him some slack, he's 16, you cannot always expect a perfectly thought out, rational argument from someone in the throws of puberty. :D

Fair point indeed. There are people on boards who are 40+ and act the same way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

One of those situations where you're torn between disliking the petty rules of schools but also fervently wanting to drop kick them up the hole for turning a beard into an epic stand against the Forces Of Squareness.

On reflection, the school should immediately make plus fours and top hats mandatory in order to cause more annoyance to the young hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

"I'm not being racist by saying this but I was born in Ireland and I am catholic, not any other religion and certainly not an "amish""

Someone needs to tell this dope what racism is. And bullying, god help this fella is ever bullied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

In my day it was long hair. The principal (nicest word i can think of for the man), would routinely single out all of us 'rockers' and measure our hair :(

One time mine didnt meet his exacting standards and i got suspended.. i was a straight A (maybe a few Bs) student!

My dad had enough of their BS and put me in a school that didnt care about hair.. i shaved it all off 2 months later :D

Hey teacher! Leave those kids alone.

In my day it was long hair. The principal (nicest word i can think of for the man), would routinely single out all of us 'rockers' and measure our hair :(

One time mine didnt meet his exacting standards and i got suspended.. i was a straight A (maybe a few Bs) student!

My dad had enough of their BS and put me in a school that didnt care about hair.. i shaved it all off 2 months later :D

Hey teacher! Leave those kids alone.

You went to the extent of changing school over the length of your hair and then cut it a few months later?

You went to the extent of changing school over the length of your hair and then cut it a few months later?

It was about the freedom to grow it or cut it off as i liked. As he said when i did shave it off - "Sure they'd have had a problem with that too".

The issue isnt the hair, its rules that place importance on your personal choices over your capabilities.

The point being, he wanted to cut it. I totally understand.
    And how about we teach people useful stuff and measure them on competence rather than length of hair? Some companies seem to think "This guy has longish hair and a beard, he must be rubbish, but that guy is clean shaven and wears a suit, he must be competent".
    Hence they hire an absolute waste of space because he looks nice.
    And that children, is why Ireland is in a mess. because we trust people in nice suits with good haircuts, because they must be competent.

It was about the freedom to grow it or cut it off as i liked. As he said when i did shave it off - "Sure they'd have had a problem with that too".

The issue isnt the hair, its rules that place importance on your personal choices.

I'm sure The System is still feeling the reverberation of that seismic jolt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

No not been pedantic at all. Just genuinely curious was there people still out there that thinks you can't have a job with a beard. Clean shaven only in this non customer facing role thought train.

Surely beards are enforced or strongly encouraged in your average craft beer pub.

The point being, he wanted to cut it. I totally understand.
    And how about we teach people useful stuff and measure them on competence rather than length of hair? Some companies seem to think "This guy has longish hair and a beard, he must be rubbish, but that guy is clean shaven and wears a suit, he must be competent".
    Hence they hire an absolute waste of space because he looks nice.
    And that children, is why Ireland is in a mess. because we trust people in nice suits with good haircuts, because they must be competent.

Yes. That's the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I dont see the problem, if a person wants a beard let them have one, surely the people involved in this have something better to do than waste time going after a beard.

And you became a mod so you could continue to wear a uniform :pac:

I'm sure The System is still feeling the reverberation of that seismic jolt.

Probably not. But it meant i got to enjoy school for once and do well enough to eventually be able to work in my chosen career.

When you take the BS away from schooling, certain students do better. Im not a robot and treating me like one guarantees failure, i was lucky enough to have parents who understood that.

Other kids work different.

Yes. That's the reason.

The electorate definitely think a guy in a dodgy suit with an insincere smile and a clammy handshake is ther man to run the country.
    I'd vote for someone with tattoos and piercings if he was good.

The issue isnt the hair, its rules that place importance on your personal choices over your capabilities.

It strikes me that this is the first time schools have had to deal with this for a long time. I remember vastly different hair styles when I was growing up although it died out a bit by the time I was in secondary school my older brother's final year book from 1990 has guys with punk hair styles, skin heads, hippies, mullets, guys with blow dried 80's hair and a guy who channelled ZZ Top. And the odd short back and sides, the common hairstyle before and since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

He's got more chest hairs than I have facial hair :eek:

*crys in the corner with beard envy*:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

F*ck all uniform policies. People should be allowed to dress and style themselves any f*cking way they want, it's nobody else's business.

It strikes me that this is the first time schools have had to deal with this for a long time. I remember vastly different hair styles when I was growing up although it died out a bit by the time I was in secondary school my older brother's final year book from 1990 has guys with punk hair styles, skin heads, hippies, mullets, guys with blow dried 80's hair and a guy who channelled ZZ Top. And the odd short back and sides, the common hairstyle before and since.

It depended on the school. I was in school at the same time [as your brother] and we'd meet up with mates who were allowed a full mohawk in their school. My first secondary was run by brothers who were more concerned with the outward reputaton of the school than the kids (or pedo brothers) inside it.

• Advertisement

The electorate definitely think a guy in a dodgy suit with an insincere smile and a clammy handshake is ther man to run the country.
    I'd vote for someone with tattoos and piercings if he was good.

Like the typical German her von hippy clippy parliamentarian?

Hairstyles are meaningless tests of character, and we do have Wallace and Ming.

Wallace disproves your point. Firstly we do elect people with long hair and no dress sense (unlike many Europeans) and secondly that tells you nothing either way about corruption or lack of it.

Advertisement