Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too hipster for school

Options
  • 06-04-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

A lad in my town has taken to the internets to moan about being bullied by his school for being sent home because of his beard. It is causing fierce debate hai on facebook. What do you think?

The Monaghan Mouth Facebook Page

Here is an extract of his rant on fb:

"Hello , my name is Hipster McHipster , I am 16 years old and I am in 5th year in St.Macartan's College , a catholic school .
    This morning I was in my registration class and was sent to the vice principles office because of my beard . When I spoke to her , she said "you can not walk about this school with that beard" and then she took me to the principles office . He said to me "did you ever hear of the amish people over in america?" I said " Yes I did why?" , he then stated that I looked like one of them with the beard and said "you need to go home and shave it off" . I was just disgusted by it , it was racism , and discrimination to me as there was plenty of other people in my school with beards , some like mine and some different , the school has a policy against bullying and this was more or less bullying where I was told to go home and shave it off ."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Witchie wrote: »
    A lad in my town has taken to the internets to moan about being bullied by his school for being sent home because of his beard. It is causing fierce debate hai on facebook. What do you think?

The Monaghan Mouth Facebook Page

Here is an extract of his rant on fb:

"Hello , my name

Maybe take his name off it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think beards probably fall under the uniform policy. At 16 though... With a beard? I'm pretty sure I just had bumfluff back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Beard envy is a horrible thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Goodluck to him when he hits the job market and will have to shave it off anyway.
    Its a 'beard' of a 17 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

On their policy page: Hair must be kept clean, neat and tidy. Students must be clean-shaven at all times. Students may not wear earrings, jewellery or badges

Just too hipster to follow the rules it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Maybe take his name off it???

No point, he has it in the article and all over fb. But maybe I should coz am sure he is just an attention seeker.

Smash, it is in the schools dress code since my sons started in that school 10 years ago and probably for much longer.

Tom can you remove my original message from your 2 posts please as have changed his name to protect his innocence. Bless him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Rookie mistake, should have waited until November.

Leave him be.

I wouldn't be posting his name up here though Witchie.

Leave him be.

I wouldn't be posting his name up here though Witchie.

Have changed it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't think I agree with the school demanding that he shave it off or the principals childish comment about the Amish but if I were his father he would be shaving it off before I'd let him out of the house and not because I don't think a 16 year old should have a beard but because I wouldn't want people saying/ lthinking 'look at that wanker with the beard' about my son which is probably what I would think if I seen someone else his age with one besides its a ridiculous looking beard anyway plus it's ginger which adds to the ridiculousness factor ten-fold.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    how is this racism!?

I think he was referring to the Amish reference the teacher put out there.

It is a very Amish looking beard though in fairness.

Whats the big issue over his name? :confused:

Also how is this racism!?

Exactly! He has put his name out there but just in case I have removed it.

I also don't think it is bullying or racism to ask a student to comply with the schools dress code that they have signed up to at the start of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Just tell the school he wears his beard for religious reasons & attend school wearing a Thawb :D

Oh yeah, further in the rant, if you can't be arsed going to the link, he states that the school are bullying him.

Here's some more for you....

Having a beard is part of nature , its just hair , there is no rule in the school where you are not aloud to grow a beard . It's a catholic school , Jesus had a beard and he was catholic , this is just bullying . I'm not being racist by saying this but I was born in Ireland and I am catholic , not any other religion and certainly not an "amish" . My year head said in the principles office that I did not have permission to go to class . I had to get a taxi home from school which my auntie paid for as I rang her to collect me from school but she didn't have a babysitter. Anyways , that wasn't the point , the point is that you should be able to go anywhere at anytime and dress how you want and to look the way you want . It's your own choice , yes in school there is a uniform and I'll follow that rule and anyone would , but to be told how you should look is not a rule in my school , you always be told to be yourself but sure how can you when a school will tell you to be someone your not . I've been bullied before and I'm certainly not going to let a school do it to me . A school principle is just another person , he doesn't have power over you , he/she is not your mother/father , I have a rule for people , if they don't like how I look or for what I believe in then turn around and walk away . How are you suppose to prevent bullying from happening when the people trying to stop it bully you too!? Everyone is entitled to wear what they want and look the way they want . I'm asking the school tomorrow that if they don't accept how I look then I'm walking out of the school . I'm entitled to my manhood as well , every teenage boy is entitled to it ."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Goodluck to him when he hits the job market and will have to shave it off anyway.
    Its a 'beard' of a 17 year old.

Leaving aside the fact it's a **** beard why would anyone have to shave a beard off in the jobs market? Do you think all the people in Ireland with beards don't have jobs?

It's a catholic school , Jesus had a beard and he was catholic

Just reply "you know who else has beards? Terrorists!!!!"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Whats the big issue over his name? :confused:

Also how is this racism!?

He's under 18??

I don't think it's fair/right for someone that young to be identified/ridiculed for questionable internet rants

Not that anyone on boards would....but if some trolls could easily find his Facebook account from the OP

No critism of the OP meant here...as its an unintended/rare chance of happening

Leaving aside the fact it's a **** beard why would anyone have to shave a beard off in the jobs market? Do you think all the people in Ireland with beards don't have jobs?

No. Course not. Don't try playing this pedantic game with me.

He is 16/17/18 and will be off getting a minimum wage job soon enough in a cafe or Tesco or wherever. You think they treat you like an adult, like a professional office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Oh yeah, further in the rant, if you can't be arsed going to the link, he states that the school are bullying him.

Here's some more for you....

Having a beard is part of nature , its just hair , there is no rule in the school where you are not aloud to grow a beard . It's a catholic school , Jesus had a beard and he was catholic , this is just bullying . I'm not being racist by saying this but I was born in Ireland and I am catholic , not any other religion and certainly not an "amish" . My year head said in the principles office that I did not have permission to go to class . I had to get a taxi home from school which my auntie paid for as I rang her to collect me from school but she didn't have a babysitter. Anyways , that wasn't the point , the point is that you should be able to go anywhere at anytime and dress how you want and to look the way you want . It's your own choice , yes in school there is a uniform and I'll follow that rule and anyone would , but to be told how you should look is not a rule in my school , you always be told to be yourself but sure how can you when a school will tell you to be someone your not . I've been bullied before and I'm certainly not going to let a school do it to me . A school principle is just another person , he doesn't have power over you , he/she is not your mother/father , I have a rule for people , if they don't like how I look or for what I believe in then turn around and walk away . How are you suppose to prevent bullying from happening when the people trying to stop it bully you too!? Everyone is entitled to wear what they want and look the way they want . I'm asking the school tomorrow that if they don't accept how I look then I'm walking out of the school . I'm entitled to my manhood as well , every teenage boy is entitled to it ."

Moron of the highest order.

Maybe if he spent more time worrying about his spelling and grammar ("principle"?) and less about his ridiculous beard, he'd be better off.

And FFS, Jesus was Jewish.

Amish people are not a different race. If I was his teacher I'd be way more concerned with his confusion on what constitutes racism, and then I'd start on his commas. Leave him with his bit of fur, it's not harming the school unless it's inhabited by lice or something.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Amish people are not a different race. If I was his teacher I'd be way more concerned with his confusion on what constitutes racism, and then I'd start on his commas. Leave him with his bit of fur, it's not harming the school unless it's inhabited by lice or something.

I agree that the beard rule is stupid, but it still is one of the rules of the school. There are other less strict schools in the town that he could go to if he has an issue with the rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

it's conditioning. Wear a uniform, have your hair the way you are told to have it, behave as you're told, don't question authority, just learn what's on the blackboard, keep the head down, don't answer back and from there on it's straight on to the jobs market, wear a suit (uniform), shut up, do your job, don't answer back, don't question anything, etc...
    It pains me as a German to say this, but you Irish have had your balls cut off.

Amish people are not a different race.

Maybe the teacher is black :pac:

He's under 18??

I don't think it's fair/right for someone that young to be identified/ridiculed for questionable internet rants

Not that anyone on boards would....but if some trolls could easily find his Facebook account from the OP

No critism of the OP meant here...as its an unintended/rare chance of happening

I hear ya but at the same time, he posted his rant, through a relative's facebook page with her sending it to a local online media outlet. So he has no issue with his name being out there.

it's conditioning. Wear a uniform, have your hair the way you are told to have it, behave as you're told, don't question authority, just learn what's on the blackboard, keep the head down, don't answer back and from there on it's straight on to the jobs market, wear a suit (uniform), shut up, do your job, don't answer back, don't question anything, etc...

Don't cut yourself on your edgy view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

^ +1 what Herr Doktor said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I don't know though. I have no problem with the beard per se - if he wants to get beaten up as he walks down the street, then who are we to stop him? But it's like the broken window syndrome. If the school capitulates on this, next week you will have someone coming in with blue hair and a Mike Tyson-style face tattoo.

It's easier for the schools to just enforce strict standards across the board. He only has a year or so to go of this tyrrany and brutality. Let him blossom in college (though by the quality of his posting, I would doubt that is an avenue that will be open to him).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

You Must Conform........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

No. Course not. Don't try playing this pedantic game with me.

He is 16/17/18 and will be off getting a minimum wage job soon enough in a cafe or Tesco or wherever. You think they treat you like an adult, like a professional office.

No not been pedantic at all. Just genuinely curious was there people still out there that thinks you can't have a job with a beard. Clean shaven only in this non customer facing role thought train.

• Advertisement

It's nearly the summer, he has 3 months to be entitled to his "manhood". :D:D

Advertisement