Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Dublin Buses terminating in City Centre?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 hardanro

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well you did ask!!

It would also be rather unfair on other areas of the city if routes operating out of Harristown had later departures from city centre than routes out of other depots.

If later buses were to operate it would need to be on a network wide basis.
    Why? They certainly don't start on the same time, nor they have the same frequency, why fairness should have anything to do with last operating time?
    The times and frequency should be based on demand. Not to mention the fact that, leaving at the same time from city center, it means yet again 3-4 buses in a row (40,40d and 140), which is just a wait of money for dublin bus (all the passenger will go in the first bus and the next two will be almost empty).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

hardanro wrote: »
    Why? They certainly don't start on the same time, nor they have the same frequency, why fairness should have anything to do with last operating time?
    The times and frequency should be based on demand. Not to mention the fact that, leaving at the same time from city center, it means yet again 3-4 buses in a row (40,40d and 140), which is just a wait of money for dublin bus (all the passenger will go in the first bus and the next two will be almost empty).

You're missing my point - the suggestion was that routes operated out of Harristown should have later departures from the city centre purely because of the garage location.

I am saying that I would imagine most people in the rest of the city wouldn't be too happy about that.

A later bus service should be on a network basis, not because of a garage location.

As I said above - longer operating hours will require extra money from the NTA and ultimately the government to support the extra cost involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

howiya wrote: »
    The 27 towards Tallaght is reliable for holding in town at 23:30 unfortunately. On a very good day I can finish work and make the 22:30 departure from Clare Hall at Connolly station. On a normal day I don't and have to wait for the 23:00. When you include the dwell time at Eden Quay there is roughly 40 minutes between the two departures from city centre even though there's a departure every half hour on the timetable

I imagine anyone going for the last bus at 23:30 would not share that view. Having an official last bus departure time is important on cross-city routes as people know when the last bus goes rather than having to guess. Just because it doesn't necessarily suit you doesn't mean that it doesn't suit the majority of people.

If you had official city centre departure times on earlier departures that would solve that problem, but then you have people getting frustrated at buses waiting for their time - there's a balancing act.

Advertisement