Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebays Global Shipping Program

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

wonga77 wrote: »
    Yeah, ive used anpost in the past too, registered post seems to be as good as any. Is there any discount if you were going to be sending a good few small parcels through an post do you know?

no such thing as far as I know
    Have you tried parcel motel maybe
    I've sent a few heavy things with them and they were €16 instead of €30 with an post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

my3cents wrote: »
    Only option is not to buy from anyone in the UK that uses the Global Shipping Program. After getting one item through it I won't buy from anyone that uses it.

Nope, you can get around it. For my next purchase, before paying for the item, I asked the seller if they would be open to other delivery services e.g. directly with a courier like DHL, UPS etc. Yep, he said sure, I quoted him a price and he did it. Tracking and all. And just like Luis pointed out, several days shorter without Global Thieving Robbing Lying Programme.

Lots of interesting and sadly unfortunate shopping stories here. I'll keep these scenarios in mind before choosing delivery and especially if something goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Nope, you can get around it. For my next purchase, before paying for the item, I asked the seller if they would be open to other delivery services e.g. directly with a courier like DHL, UPS etc. Yep, he said sure, I quoted him a price and he did it. Tracking and all. And just like Luis pointed out, several days shorter without Global Thieving Robbing Lying Programme.

Lots of interesting and sadly unfortunate shopping stories here. I'll keep these scenarios in mind before choosing delivery and especially if something goes wrong.
    But if you use a company that have a uk address and set that as main address you won't have to do this.
    I never come across gsp and I'm reading on eBay on a daily basis either buying or selling
    Most items from the uk are free post or very cheap and then just a few quid to get it to the door or local post office or motel locker in 3 days normally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

I got caught by this Pitney Bowes scam shower,, They will be the death of ebay. They add duty or vat on to things that don't have duty or vat here, they are the reason I don't use ebay now..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Noddywood

Looks like I was caught by this as well. Bought an item on eBay in the UK on 28th July for £10 then had to pay nearly £15 more for shipping which was added on after purchase.
    Now advised it is being shipped by gsp and can take up to another 2 weeks to arrive.
    I have purchased over 150 items from eBay over the years and this is a first.
    I have an addresspal account but didn't realise of the extra gsp charge until I made the purchase.
    I reckon I'll just have to make sure it's not gsp in future or it's gonna be Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

Quick update.

Saw something I wanted on ebay. The seller was using the GSP nonsense and delivery was quoted at £10.81. I contacted vthe seller and asked if they had to use the GSP. They didnt know they didnt have to.

So I asked how much to send to me in Ireland using the normal post. They said a fiver.

I won the auction. Then went into the details on ebay, clicked on the number of bids made. They clicked on mine (the winning bid) and went to other options and asked the seller for an invoice.

They obliged and I only paid £5 postage instead of £10 and it arrived in TWO DAYS.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sorry to hijack the thread but I ordered an item from the US via the GSP. The shipping plus customs was quoted as costing $50, I won the item for $35. I thought the shipping charge was quite high but the item is on the large side and the total $85 dollar cost was still cheaper than I could buy it for from Europe. However, I've gotten an email from GSP saying the item costing $60 has now cleared customs and on it's way. Have I been over charged for shipping and customs or is there a reasonable explanation for this?

iguana wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I ordered an item from the US via the GSP. The shipping plus customs was quoted as costing $50, I won the item for $35. I thought the shipping charge was quite high but the item is on the large side and the total $85 dollar cost was still cheaper than I could buy it for from Europe. However, I've gotten an email from GSP saying the item costing $60 has now cleared customs and on it's way. Have I been over charged for shipping and customs or is there a reasonable explanation for this?

So its a total of $95 ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Luis21 wrote: »
    So its a total of $95 ?

No still a total of $85 dollars but I'm wondering if the seller is claiming I paid $61, instead of $35, for the item and that means the shipping and customs fee was $24. I've overpaid on the GSP before and have received a refund for the difference very quickly. I was expecting some sort of refund for this transaction as the item I bought had a GSP charge based on a Buy It Now price and I paid less, so much so that I don't think I owed any customs on it as it was going to my husband's address in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Having same problem after buying an item that I won , a branded top for £40. I won it on the 29th October, and was thinking it odd that it had not arrived from the UK by Thursday, and THEN I discovered "eBays Global Shipping" crapola. When I checked back Thurs I saw the top was due for delivery 11th November- which is bad from the UK, now its gone back to the 18th November.
    I am a relatively new ebayer, haven't sold anything yet, so when I purchased an item from the UK, I 'assumed' It would take less than a week, at most. But 3 weeks?

This morning I wrote a polite letter to the seller explaining the pitfalls of Pitney Bowes when sending packages to Ireland (and saying I knew it wasn't her fault) . Its not like she is a very high volume seller, right now she has no items up. I have gotten items from Australia quicker. I guess I'm just disappointed about the time frame.

I had to send PB 4euro something and the seller £9 for postage. I'm not bitching about that as I got a deal on the top. It's specific sportswear for a hobby of mine and I wanted it for classes I am starting Tue. I will be staying away from auctions with this as the ONLY option.

I have gotten over 10 similar weight items from UK sellers, actual p&p is less than £4.50 with RM.

I have a tracking number too, it doesn't work. At all, just leads me to a blank page with ebayjapan dot something something. PB are :(

• Advertisement

Update.

Postage from UK to Ireland. £12 for a book. Took 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

seller sells me an item for 40 euro plus 10 euro for postage through this programme and pitney bowes..doesn't arrive on time..pitney bowes has no record of it..seller says he sent it..then I had to get paypal involved for a full refund Inc shipping amount.

In a similar situation, do you have to raise separate PayPal refund requests with seller and Pitney Bowes? Invoice has separate amounts for item and GSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Ten Pin wrote: »
    In a similar situation, do you have to raise separate PayPal refund requests with seller and Pitney Bowes? Invoice has separate amounts for item and GSP.

No, thankfully Paypal recognizes immediately if Pitney Bowes is involved and claims for both. All good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The danger with this is that, as it's a great money earner, it will become the norm. I contacted a seller & said that I wouldn't be bidding as the quoted postage was 5 times the actual cost. They agreed to make a exception.

We all know that many deliveries don't get caught by customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In my hurry to get a bargain to day I missed the dreaded words Global Shipping after swearing I'd never use it again :(

Does anyone know who they use for the last leg to the customer to deliver in Ireland? So I know who to look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

In my hurry to get a bargain to day I missed the dreaded words Global Shipping after swearing I'd never use it again :(

Does anyone know who they use for the last leg to the customer to deliver in Ireland? So I know who to look out for?

With me it was An Post, so I got lucky I guess. Still took ages to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

It's always been An Post for me, but maybe it depends on the value of the product. You should get a tracking number for it once handed over the An Post.

Advertisement