Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebays Global Shipping Program

Options
  • 06-04-2016 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

This, from what I can see, is a scam. Ebay get the seller to send them your purchase. The sellers gets 2.99 but ebay charge you 10 or more postage. They also handle the purchase and delay it by days, sometimes a week.

The seller doesnt have a choice. This seems to be confined to the USA and UK so beware of daft postage costs and delayed postage when buying on ebay from these countries.

It is stated in the description if this mehod is used.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

How is it a scam? - Have you read what the program is about?

If the seller is based in USA and someone in Ireland wants to buy the item, the shipping cost is very high because the seller probably does not have a bulk discount. The buyer then has to pay vat & duty and service charge over here.

The shipping program using ebay's volume and gets huge discounts on shipping. All paperwork and customs is also taken care of and everything isnpaid up with zeri surprises for seller or buyer.

The seller pays a $2.99 fee to ebay for this. The seller can add the internal US shipping charge to the price and then ebay charge the international shipping + duties + vat (if applicable) and its all done in one single transaction.

You do realise that this is for international shipments only - eg Shipments for places outside of the country you are based in. If you are un USA and selling to USA, there is ZERO affect/change.

Quite superb actually. And as far from a "scam" as you can possibly get. - Do you actually understand the meaning of the word scam? (I doubt it)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

Ok lets look at the UK then.

Seller pockets 2.99 for postage. Ebay pockets 9 quid for postage. Buyer pays 11.99

UK to Ireland, 3 days normal post from seller.
    UK to Ireland with Global Shipping Program, 7-10 days.

Buyer is 9 quid worse off and waits longer for purchase.

Thats a scam.

Oh and try and be a little more polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Xterminator

er no. its a scam if you are tricked.

If you get what you pay for & they are open and upfront about the costs it is a choice; not a scam.

Ok I'll drop the scam word then.

Its a set up that allows ebay to make money for an unnecessary additional postage step. Well in the UK anyway.

Either way, the buyer has to foot the bill. The seller has no choice but to agree with ebay. Hardly seems fair does it ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So its not a consumer issue and its more you feel ripped off because you decided to proceed with an order after learning the charges and now you feel ripped off. There's no issue here.

next time just shop around more or use forwarding services like parcel motel for UK sellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

How do you enroll in the global shipping program ebay.ie? It's not there in the Postage and packaging preferences section.

I've seen videos on youtube showing on ebay.com the option is in Shipping preferences which is called Postage and packaging preferences on ebay.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

Can anyone help me with an actual phone number to ring ebay? Their stupid contact me page just has me going around in circles and getting nowhere as is their online customer support. I bought something a few weeks back for about €400, the seller has confirmed that it was signed for at the global shipping company but they seem to have lost it. They advised the seller to tell me contact them to resolve it but I cant seem to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Don't ring them. Claim with paypal (item not received).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

It is a scam,, I stopped using ebay because of it,,, And don't start about this Pitney Bowes gang of gangsters that add VAT and customs duty on stuff that does not carry duty here in Ireland ...

Yeah the global shipping seems to be a farce. Got my money back through paypal and the buyer got to keep the money I paid him. Some b0ll0x at ebay has made off with a perfectly good laptop, I wont be caught again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I totally agree with the OP, and for some people it is a scam.

I've read about that programme from top to bottom and having used it several times for my usage, I think it's generally not worth it.

In my case, my most recent purchase, eBay shipping - 6-7 days from UK. That's into the second week past my purhcase date, considering weekends. Pricey too. From the UK? I'm not moving a house. What is that? I had enough of that service so for this purchase I contacted the seller *before paying, because otherwise it's too late, the shipping fee goes to Pitney Bowes for postage*, and I asked if they'd consider direct postage with DHL/FEDEX or Royal Mail. Yep. Within 13 hours it had already left the UK. I'm looking at 1 day, maximum 2 to get to me now.

Again, to be clear, I'm not saying for every person for every purchase ever it will not be worth it. But in many cases for me I find it is. Customs handling is mostly useful for importing from OUTSIDE the EU I think, but generally useless while INSIDE the EU. Just another middleman.

As for Piteny Bowes, eBay's customs/shipping partner:

1. First email for a previous purchase long ago, no reply
    2. Second email, new purchase, a little helpful
    3 Thrid email, follow-up, rude as hell.

I've just never had that BS in all the years from couriers. Delighted with them and Royal Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

How do you enroll in the Global Shipping Program?

Finally go my purchase. 8 days from the UK. 8 days !!!!! Postage cost ? 11.99 Sterling

Its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

I'll tell you what the scam is..seller sells me an item for 40 euro plus 10 euro for postage through this programme and pitney bowes..doesn't arrive on time..pitney bowes has no record of it..seller says he sent it..then I had to get paypal involved for a full refund Inc shipping amount.

Moral of the story is seller sold me something he never physically had

That happened to me too, pitney bowes said no, never came here. Until the seller produced signed proof it had been delivered, they werent long changing their tune then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I haven't come across it from a UK seller, but found it great when buying from the US - postage cost was reasonable and delivery fast, and I paid the total including all taxes up front. I wish more US seller were using it.

You can see the cost before committing to buy, so where's the problem?

Update.

Parcel from UK with Global Shipping Nonsense - 9 Days
    Parcel from Germany without it - 6 days

Luis21 wrote: »
    Update.

Parcel from UK with Global Shipping Nonsense - 9 Days
    Parcel from Germany without it - 6 days

Don't use it from the UK... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Don't use it from the UK... :confused:

Only option is not to buy from anyone in the UK that uses the Global Shipping Program. After getting one item through it I won't buy from anyone that uses it.

my3cents wrote: »
    Only option is not to buy from anyone in the UK that uses the Global Shipping Program. After getting one item through it I won't buy from anyone that uses it.

Parcel Motel, Parcel Wizard, the AnPost thing.. Plenty of options.

• Advertisement

Parcel Motel, Parcel Wizard, the AnPost thing.. Plenty of options.

And how do those options work when the seller will only post to the buyers PayPal account?

The Global Shipping Program is there for sellers, not buyers, so its made to be very easy for the seller and removes a massive chunk of their liability so of course sellers are going to use it rather than mess around and post to an address that increases their liability.

And how do those options work when the seller will only post to the buyers PayPal account?

The Global Shipping Program is there for sellers, not buyers, so its made to be very easy for the seller and removes a massive chunk of their liability so of course sellers are going to use it rather than mess around and post to an address that increases their liability.

I have never once encountered an eBay seller that only ships to the PayPal address.

I have never once encountered an eBay seller that only ships to the PayPal address.

Lucky you.

Lucky you.

OP thinks he's being forced into a scam, you think it's somehow something to do with luck... This thread is a bit odd. :pac:

OP thinks he's being forced into a scam, you think it's somehow something to do with luck... This thread is a bit odd. :pac:

You are the lucky one always being able to dictate to ebay sellers what address to send to and what method they use to send stuff out to you.

Great reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

You are the lucky one always being able to dictate to ebay sellers what address to send to and what method they use to send stuff out to you.

add the parcel motel address to ebay and select it as main address and any item will be sent there
    i have parcel motel, address pal and parcel wizard all added and never had a problem

as an aside, what do any of ye use to post an item if you are selling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

wonga77 wrote: »
    as an aside, what do any of ye use to post an item if you are selling?

Send everything with anpost with tracking and gets delivered in 3 days
    Actually gets to the uk the next morning but takes then a while to process it

• Advertisement

Yeah, ive used anpost in the past too, registered post seems to be as good as any. Is there any discount if you were going to be sending a good few small parcels through an post do you know?

Advertisement