Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DGW33 Captain

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FHFC wrote: »
    Aaarrgh.

No. You are comparing the captain score vs the triple captain score in the individual game week which is irelevant.

Your captain bonus ("B" in my original explanation) you are in competition with the rest of the worlds FPL players each week. How your captan does relative to theirs determines how your rank rises or falls.

In your example figures above a Payet captainer would gain 5 point on a Coutinho/Firmino/Pedro/Costa/Mata/Martial captainer in gw 37 and 11 points on a Lukaku captainer. They all got the same "B" points in GW33.

But in terms of the Lukaku TC GW33 guy they got their once only in a season "C" bonus of 20 in GW33. Someone who TCd Payet in 37 got 15 so loses by 5. Everyone who TCd anyone and got less than 20 loses to the GW33 guy who got 20.

You get 38 "B" scores and choose the player to give that bonus each week. So the possible scores are only the scores each gameweek therfore whether your normal captain is success or fail is relative to the other main captain scores in the gameweek. The cumulative total of your "B" scores relative to everyone else over a season is also relevant.

But you only get one TC and one "C" score in the season and the range of players you have to choose from to determine that score is every single scoring premier league players score every week of the entire season! So all that is relevant regarding your Triple Captain or "C" score in whether you picked a bigger scoring player in the entire season than everyone else.

People who TC'd Aguero vs Newcastle are winning so far.

I'm trying my best to explain this and I am sure there is no flaw in the logic!! :)

Your correct. Tbh the outcome is irrelevant you pick the player who is likely to get you the highest score from the remaining weeks to suit your circumstances. The higher the score u get the better you are competing with yourself not some random person and compare your tc score to the score your captain got in the alternative week you could have tc. It comes down to for example lukaku 33 against payet 37 for those bb in 34.You tc who you think will get the highest score as you get a normal capt score for the other player in the other week. It doesn't matter who somebody else picks as you didn't pick him. Take two scenarios Gw33 lukaku 15 pts Gw 37 whoever you captain 12 pts. If you tc in 33 you get 15x3+12x2 = 69pts. If you tc in 37 you get 15x2+ 12x3 =66 pts. You are 3 pts better off by doing it in gw 33 and thats all that matters it doesnt matter what anybody else does as that is the choice you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

In your example figures above a Payet captainer would gain 5 point on a Coutinho/Firmino/Pedro/Costa/Mata/Martial captainer in gw 37 and 11 points on a Lukaku captainer. They all got the same "B" points in GW33.

But in terms of the Lukaku TC GW33 guy they got their once only in a season "C" bonus of 20 in GW33. Someone who TCd Payet in 37 got 15 so loses by 5. Everyone who TCd anyone and got less than 20 loses to the GW33 guy who got 20.
    The pb is you kinda "integrate" a one week A, B & C values over the whole season. This is "absolutely" correct. But could be "relatively" wrong in my view.

I think, isolating the TC bonus like you do is an incomplete and/or ideal and/or "absolute" view of it. But to me this game is all about "relative values" not "absolute values". I think that's where we "mathematically" disagree. I don't know if I explain this well. On paper I fully agree with your reasoning. But, in practice, that is when I compare my actual FPL outcomes with other players, it almost never works because we don't own the same players at the same time.

Let's say you and I have the exact same team for the whole season, bar GW37. In 37 you get Coutinho & Lanzini. I get Payet & Milner. Let's say Lanzini & Milner score the same. And in 38 our different players score the same again. Let's also assume we BB & AOA the same GW (which is not 37) and we always captain the same players bar GW33 you TC Lukaku (I just (C) him) and 37 I TC Payet, you (C) Coutinho.
    Or to make it more realistic let's say we did not make all these same choices neither had the same team but ended up on the exact same amount of pts (*) and our season comes down to your Lukaku TC vs my Lukaku (C) in 33 and my Payet TC vs your Coutinho (C) in 37.

With the previous figures. Lukaku 20 pts in 33. Coutinho 10 pts in 37, Payet 15 pts in 37.

GW33: you get 60 pts from Lukaku. I only get 40. You gain 20 pts on me.
    GW37: you get 20 pts from Coutinho. I get 45 pts from Payet. I gain 25 pts on you.
    Your TC was "absolutely" 5 pts better than mine. But "relatively" I'll finish the season 5 pts ahead of you because I "relatively" gained more from my TC GW.

I think this "case study" was what lougal had in mind in his example.
    [...]you are competing with yourself not some random person and compare your tc score to the score your captain got in the alternative week you could have tc. [...]. It doesn't matter who somebody else picks as you didn't pick him.
    But you're not playing the game alone and comparing your outcome with what it could have been had you better theoretically used your chips and made your choices. You're competing against 3.7m randomers! And in mini-leagues, you're competing against real opponents and I don't understand how you can say their choices don't matter at all.

My point is not to make a "rule" of the above example but I always found that your theoretical ("bustian" should become an FPL adjective :p) view of the game is incomplete and/or idealistic.

(*) To give my above example even more context, 2 seasons ago I battled for the whole season with a friend of mine to eventually win our mini-league by 7 pts. For the sake of my obsessive demonstration, let's say I won by 4 pts instead. We had a similar enough team for the whole season. The difference was a couple of (C) choices and a few differentials. So, if I apply our situaton then to my example with FHFC, my "5 relative pts gain" over him from our TC choice gave me top spot despite a lower absolute TC return.

Take two scenarios Gw33 lukaku 15 pts Gw 37 whoever you captain 12 pts. If you tc in 33 you get 15x3+12x2 = 69pts. If you tc in 37 you get 15x2+ 12x3 =66 pts. You are 3 pts better off by doing it in gw 33 and thats all that matters it doesnt matter what anybody else does as that is the choice you made.
    Right. So this is precisely where I partly disagree. This is an "absolute" view of it. You're right that in absolute terms you're 3 pts worse going with a less important "absolute" TC. But I find this absolutism meaningless since you don't compete in FPL with your absolute self that will have beaten you anytime anyway!

I feel this is like going to the statistico website and say "sh*te I lost out about 200 (C) pts" had I always picked the right one. Sure you did! But so what? You're not competing against computers that always make the absolute perfect choices. You compete against people like us (or maybe not exactly like us :pac:) who make errors and in the present "debate" if they're all gonna at least (C) Lukaku in 33, they may have a big variety of (C) in 37 so your GW37 TC may in the end be more successful overall even if he returns less TC pts than Lukaku (like in my example with FHFC in my previous post).

iroced wrote: »
    The pb is you kinda "integrate" a one week A, B & C values over the whole season. This is "absolutely" correct. But could be "relatively" wrong in my view.

I think, isolating the TC bonus like you do is an incomplete and/or ideal and/or "absolute" view of it. But to me this game is all about "relative values" not "absolute values". I think that's where we "mathematically" disagree. I don't know if I explain this well. On paper I fully agree with your reasoning. But, in practice, that is when I compare my actual FPL outcomes with other players, it almost never works because we don't own the same players at the same time.

Let's say you and I have the exact same team for the whole season, bar GW37. In 37 you get Coutinho & Lanzini. I get Payet & Milner. Let's say Lanzini & Milner score the same. And in 38 our different players score the same again. Let's also assume we BB & AOA the same GW (which is not 37) and we always captain the same players bar GW33 you TC Lukaku (I just (C) him) and 37 I TC Payet, you (C) Coutinho.
    Or to make it more realistic let's say we did not make all these same choices neither had the same team but ended up on the exact same amount of pts (*) and our season comes down to your Lukaku TC vs my Lukaku (C) in 33 and my Payet TC vs your Coutinho (C) in 37.

With the previous figures. Lukaku 20 pts in 33. Coutinho 10 pts in 37, Payet 15 pts in 37.

GW33: you get 60 pts from Lukaku. I only get 40. You gain 20 pts on me.
    GW37: you get 20 pts from Coutinho. I get 45 pts from Payet. I gain 25 pts on you.
    Your TC was "absolutely" 5 pts better than mine. But "relatively" I'll finish the season 5 pts ahead of you because I "relatively" gained more from my TC GW.

I think this "case study" was what lougal had in mind in his example.

But you're not playing the game alone and comparing your outcome with what it could have been had you better theoretically used your chips and made your choices. You're competing against 3.7m randomers! And in mini-leagues, you're competing against real opponents and I don't understand how you can say their choices don't matter at all.

My point is not to make a "rule" of the above example but I always found that your theoretical ("bustian" should become an FPL adjective :p) view of the game is incomplete and/or idealistic.

(*) To give my above example even more context, 2 seasons ago I battled for the whole season with a friend of mine to eventually win our mini-league by 7 pts. For the sake of my obsessive demonstration, let's say I won by 4 pts instead. We had a similar enough team for the whole season. The difference was a couple of (C) choices and a few differentials. So, if I apply our situaton then to my example with FHFC, my "5 relative pts gain" over him from our TC choice gave me top spot despite a lower absolute TC return.

Their choices don't matter because I can't control their choices I can only control what I do. Of course I prefer if others choices don't work out but there is nothing I can do about it. You try and maximize your overall score and the best way of doing that is by putting tc on the player you think will score the most points in the game week you think it will get you most points. In your example FHFC is still going to captain Coutinho over Payet so thats irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Replying in the use of chips thread as we are running the GW33 Captain thread way off topic at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

Their choices don't matter because I can't control their choices I can only control what I do. Of course I prefer if others choices don't work out but there is nothing I can do about it. You try and maximize your overall score and the best way of doing that is by putting tc on the player you think will score the most points in the game week you think it will get you most points.
    So what are ye telling me to do now cos I'm lost :D
    Lukaku 33 or Sanchez /Aguero 34
    I won't be holding till 37 as God knows what will happen at that stage of season

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

I'm contemplating triple captaining Bolasie.

This thing has ruined me this year.

km79 wrote: »
    I won't be holding till 37 as God knows what will happen at that stage of season

For us non wildcarders I think 34 is the best option.

The way its shaping up re the triple captain bonus points (i.e. 1 x the score of your selected triple captain) is that the main gains or loss will depend on who scores most of Lukaku in 33, Sanchez in 34 or Payet in 37.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭siblers

km79 wrote: »

Have you used your benchboost? I'd pick Sanchez over Lukaku all day long, City's game at Chelsea would put me off Aguero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

siblers wrote: »
    Have you used your benchboost? I'd pick Sanchez over Lukaku all day long, City's game at Chelsea would put me off Aguero

I have and I think I will do that too

The way its shaping up re the triple captain bonus points (i.e. 1 x the score of your selected triple captain) is that the main gains or loss will depend on who scores most of Lukaku in 33, Sanchez in 34 or Payet in 37.
    Don't forget you'll captain Coutinho in 37 :p :pac:.

-

Anyway to be back on topic, it'll be a forced normal Lukaku (C) for me this week (since I'm on WC). But as I said soewhere else, I feel it could have been the perfect GW for my AOA. Ah well can't use that either.

iroced wrote: »
    Don't forget you'll captain Coutinho in 37 :p :pac:.

-

Anyway to be back on topic, it'll be a forced normal Lukaku (C) for me this week (since I'm on WC). But as I said soewhere else, I feel it could have been the perfect GW for my AOA. Ah well can't use that either.

I think I will in fact TC Lukaku this week because:
    1. It doesnt matter nearly as much as we think.
    2. I want rid of the stupid chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Lukaku normal captain for me.
    It's crazy that I'm hoping my captain blanks twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Lukaku normal captain for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

Any reason why Lukaku might be rested for either of these games?

I've activated the TC, but may bottle it! Using BB in 34, so GW 37 is the other option. Payet plays Man Utd, Liverpool players severe rotation risk and Lukaku's fixtures a lot tougher. I was hoping to hold it in reserve, but I do not see a better opportunity coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

mectavba wrote: »
    Any reason why Lukaku might be rested for either of these games?

I'm not worried about that. Martinez under huge pressure to get results, he can't rest his best player unless it's the midweek before the FA Cup and even then that's Liverpool in DGW34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Lukaku normal captain, though the temptation is there as well to give the armband to Funes Mori :o

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

I'm not worried about that. Martinez under huge pressure to get results, he can't rest his best player unless it's the midweek before the FA Cup and even then that's Liverpool in DGW34

You've convinced me TC it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Decided I'm gonna roll with Lukaku as TC.

I'd imagine Palace and Watford would be in the relegation zone for form since Christmas, and that can't be ignored. He should score at least twice over the two games. I think GW37 is too risky to use it so close to the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Lukaku treble captain, was gonna be that or someone in Gw 37

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Desperation has it on Bolasie at the mo. Freak nearing end of season points praying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

giphy.gif

Triple captain active.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Selling Vardy. Getting me f@ck all. 2 pts pw. Maybe an odd 5
    Buying Lukaku and giving him the armband
    Bet Vardy gets a hat trick!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Lukaku normal captain. Not one bit tempted to give him the TC. Watch him go and hat trick in both games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Lukaku normal for me as well. Almost glad I'm playing the WC this week so I can't be tempted by TC!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rom. TC.

At least I'll have the Masters to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Rom captain, very tempted by Kun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Any body going with the future golden boy of English football Ross Barkley?

Might get him in and give him the arm band as I dont have Lakaku

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Oh, poll is closed. I went with Barkley anyway since he was my only DGW player.

Advertisement