Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Skoda Superb vs BMW 5 series

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

R.O.R wrote: »
    Figures from Jan 2010 tell me a Superb 2.0Tdi 170 Elegance was €32,435 ex. Works.

Equivalent today is the 2.0Tdi 190 Style at €37,655, so an increase of €5,220 over 6 years.

520d SE Auto in Jan 2010 was €44,519. Now €49,203 - increase of €4,684.

Has the Style now got less standard equipment than the older model Elegance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

maddness wrote: »
    Has the Style now got less standard equipment than the older model Elegance?

Yes. I have a 2012 Elegance and it has rear electric heated seats and parking assist (which the newer model doesn't).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

To be fair, the exercise has worked.

The whole idea of it was to get people talking about the product, and whether you like the Superb or not it's doing exactly that.

I've had a few people in yesterday and today on the back of this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

We have a f10 520d. I would be open to the idea of a skoda, but from reading some comments on here people reckon there is a big difference in the two. Is there really a big gap? I would have thought it has closed and think the superb looks like a fine car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Any orders drummerboy as a result of the campaign?
    What is the feedback on punters comparing the two cars?

• Advertisement

carsfan wrote: »
    Any orders drummerboy as a result of the campaign?
    What is the feedback on punters comparing the two cars?

No, its only three days old to be fair.

Some are impressed, none are BMW drivers interestingly, or even A6/E Class drivers.

I think it's presented the Superb to people that wouldn't have previously considered, however the numbers of people who have taken up the challenge aren't big enough to make a properly educated summary from it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What spec is the bmw ye have in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I've had BMWs (albeit not new) and I'm looking at a Skoda for my next car. Then again, I'm not a sheep.

What are you driving now ? Only asking as I'm intrigued to know what a non sheep person buys...

4 of my last 5 cars have been 5 series. Last one was an X5 which I sold a few weeks ago and bought another 5. Why? Because I absolutely love the driving experience and as yet, haven't found anything to rival it.

Buying BMW means I have to go back a few years and up a bit in mileage which doesn't bother me in the slightest but I suppose if I decided to go for something newer like a Superb, Passat or Mondeo I could be accused of just chasing the reg. You just can't win in this begrudging little nation of ours...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭micks_address

Swanner wrote: »
    What are you driving now ? Only asking as I'm intrigued to know what a non sheep person buys...

4 of my last 5 cars have been 5 series. Last one was an X5 which I sold a few weeks ago and bought another 5. Why? Because I absolutely love the driving experience and as yet, haven't found anything to rival it.

Buying BMW means I have to go back a few years and up a bit in mileage which doesn't bother me in the slightest but I suppose if I decided to go for something newer like a Superb, Passat or Mondeo I could be accused of just chasing the reg. You just can't win in this begrudging little nation of ours...

This is the question for me to.. in a few years time... maybe 18 months i'll be looking at changing my 3 year old car.. i could buy a 5 series or e class that's a couple of years old maybe 2 years old with a nice spec and lowish mileage or buy something new like a skoda superb.. i have a friend in the same situation.. he buys a new superb every 2 years changes for about 10k but would love an e class.. to make the jump would cost him a fair bit and to change every two years would be too expensive.. it comes down to can you accept a 2 year old car or want new new new...I guess there's arguments for both scenarios..

Its also a valid point re the superb versus a6.. my friend who buys the superb says he would be hard pushed to pay the extra for an a6 as he doesnt see it as much superior to the superb... he would see the e class or jag xf as a step up...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What spec is the bmw ye have in?

520d M Sport Auto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

520d SE Auto - €49,203 ex. Works. €995 for Metallic, €865 for delivery

Superb 190 Style DSG - €40,655 ex. Works. €666 metallic, €650 delivery (?)

€9,092 difference in on the road retail in metallic. Roughly similar standard specification - few more toys in the Superb probably.

honestly, Id be taking the bm, its has far more of a feel good factor and is a bmw, that price difference wouldnt get me into the skoda if I were in the market for a car that value...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    +1 on this....I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks that Skoka thinks the superb is a direct competitor to the 5er. Its just a clever marketing ploy to get people through the doors to test drive. The 5 series in many people's opinion is the bench mark when it comes to executive cars so I guess what Skoda it trying to say is that the difference is not as big as you think, "come have a look for yourself". It creates a certain amount of curiosity with people who might be on the fence in terms of what to go for between superb/Passat/mazda6/insignia/etc and plants a seed. It might make a certain number of people take a look who otherwise might be put off by tradition. The more people test drive, the more people will consider buying the skoda.

I drive a 5 series myself and wouldn't consider a superb a direct rival personally unless I wanted to get something newer and better spec'ed and was less concerned about handling and performance. I rate them though within its traditional category.

It's funny what people will stick in the same category though, especially when it comes to the Superb. Had a taxi driver pick me up in his Superb at my sisters house last year, with my '05 740Lii sitting in the drive. "Is that yours" he asks. "It is indeed". "Ach, give me the Superb any day, sure you've the same room in the back of this as that".

He then proceeds to list all the spec his has, all the way from Lucan to the city centre, pretty much trying to wind me up. We should've done the questioning the other way round. :pac: No tip for him!

BTW I always liked the Superb, lovely car to ride in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It's a sign of how far Skoda have come that this discussion or promotion is even taking place. The last gen was an ugly Passat rival with little to distinguish it bar acres of space. I'd still take a 2 year old 5 series over a new Superb, but there is not that much in it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

whippet wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point that people have been making here .. skoda are looking to reinforce their message to people who might be looking at superb / Passat / mazda 6 / insignia etc.

Would they not be better off having a Passat / mazda 6 / insignia beside it then rather than a 5 series? So then next to them it should look much better?

Putting it beside a 5 series just reinforces how ugly & cheap looking it is IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would they not be better off having a Passat / mazda 6 / insignia beside it then rather than a 5 series? So then next to them it should look much better?

Putting it beside a 5 series just reinforces how ugly & cheap looking it is IMO.

Probably a higher risk of planting a seed in a potential customer's head about heading off to the nearest competitor's dealership and loosing a sale. Whereas with a 5 Series the majority would probably be of the impression that a 5 Series was outside of their budget anyway so heading to the nearest BMW dealership wouldn't be on the cards but the Superb was a good alternative within their budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I'm similar,last 3 cars have been Beemers, 320ci, 318i msport, and currently 523i se....all at least 2 years old and similar money to new models, etc. Just my preference to buy more expensive cars a few years old that are drivers cars than new supposedly inferior drivers cars.plenty like us out there.each to their own!to be fair,when you take the plunge and go for some thing like a BMW, it's hard to go back to something more conventional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blasting BMW's in any way. As I said, I've had an E36, E46, E60 (both my own, and as company cars) and enjoyed all of them without exception.

The people I'm calling sheep are those that blindly buy a boggo 316d/518d/A4 etc just because it has a certain badge on the grill without looking at other reasonable alternatives, including the Superb which may offer better spec/more power etc.

I'm pricing a new Octavia vRS at the moment working out at roughly €36k with the spec I want. I also priced an A3 saloon S-line 2.0tdi and to get it anywhere near the spec of the Octavia it'll cost at least €10k more for a smaller car. Is it worth that just for an Audi badge and associated image? Not a chance but some people will pay it because they think it's worth it, I don't. Personal choice and all that.

To answer your first question, I drive a Mk 4 Mondeo. Not for any other reason than it was the right car at the right time for the right price. Could have just as easily been a Passat/Octavia/3-series/5-series.

My point is I'm not going to blindly buy a certain car due to its badge but I won't dismiss any car either due to its badge. I'll buy whatever car suits my needs best at the time of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

Interesting thread but I do wonder are any of these modern cars really "drivers cars" anymore?? As far as I am concerned they aren't, they are motorway transport that is quiet and comfortable. BM might or might not be better, I was a passenger in a 10 525d (3.0l) to Belfast last week while its a nice car I don't think it was any better or worse than other rep cars at the task.

I'd say similar about the Audis and Mercs, so unless you are in an M series, AMG, R then the others (entry level 2.0 tdi guise) are all rather similar in abilities and that its really a matter of buying into teh badge and what it says.

If your looking for a drivers car then the new Mazda MX or a secondhand sports car will be far more a drivers car than a regular 5, A6 or E Series. The current 5 series is still trading on the E39 which was a massive step up in terms of driving ability of a car in that segment at that time but thise gains have all been eroded over the years.

If its executive luxury then its S, A8 or 7 series that you are into and again they aren't drivers cars as I consider them.

Personally I'd like to think the Skoda plan might make the luxury brands wake up and maybe realise that they have lost a lot of the edge that they had and more normal brands are closing the gap. Maybe I'm old but for me the badge isn't what its all about anymore, at least not unless its got teh engineering underneath to prove its pedigree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

My point is I'm not going to blindly buy a certain car due to its badge but I won't dismiss any car either due to its badge. I'll buy whatever car suits my needs best at the time of purchase.

But you're making an awful lot of judgments about the personal choices of others....

You can't possibly know the circumstances of, or reasons for, someone else's choice of car.

And even if they do buy a ****ty spec beemer just for the badge what's the problem ? It's their money and their choice.

Anyway, good luck with the vRS if you do decide to go for it. I've driven one and it would tick a lot of boxes for me. It's a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

But you're making an awful lot of judgments about the personal choices of others....

You can't possibly know the circumstances of, or reasons for, someone else's choice of car.

And even if they do buy a ****ty spec beemer just for the badge what's the problem ? It's their money and their choice.

Anyway, good luck with the vRS if you do decide to go for it. I've driven one and it would tick a lot of boxes for me. It's a great car.

The problem here is that for guys like me who like to own a BMW but can't justify/afford to buy brand new, there's never any decent spec ones around! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I never said that there was a problem, I specifically said that some people may think a ****ty spec beemer is worth the price but I don't. It's personal choice etc.

But there is a difference between a ****ty spec beemer and a **** beemer. I dont know do you think im suggesting they're one in the same? There's been very few **** beemers over the years but there's plenty of **** spec ones.

I wonder would you be this defensive if the subject was the same and the last 5 cars you bought were Audi/Merc/Lexus.

Advertisement