Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Skoda Superb vs BMW 5 series

Options
  • 03-04-2016 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Anybody else notice the Skoda ads in the papers today where they are inviting customers to test drive the Superb and BMW 5 series at certain Skoda dealers. It seems they will provide the 5 series and want you to directly compare the cars.
    Now I think the new Superb looks a fine car and I'm sure drives really well but do any posters believe middle Ireland is going to switch from their beloved 520d to a Skoda?
    Excellent car and all as the 5 series is, I believe a lot of its appeal is the badge and I just can't see the Skoda Superb cutting it for a lot of these people.
    Am I wrong?
    I reckon even if the Skoda had Rolls Royce refinement and Ferrari performance people would still go with the Beemer.
    Has any body here switched from one to the other?
    Would you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I suppose they're trying to stop people blindly going to BMW by pointing out the extra spec/space etc that you get in the superb for thousands of Euro less.

Seems like smart marketing, what have they got to lose?

I've had BMWs (albeit not new) and I'm looking at a Skoda for my next car. Then again, I'm not a sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sales reps / company car buyers may very well make the swap as more standard toys and any ride comfort improvements will sell it for them.

But the reality is that most bog spec 520d's are sold because of the circular emblem on the bonnet and it will continue to sway that way. But as above, you get 10 people who are in charge of company fleets to see it from the skoda perspective and thats a lot of cars sold for a fairly cheap stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,199 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wonder would they do the same with a similar Audi A6? Going by their logic your typical A6 driver should be just as much a target as the 5 Series driver. Oh wait, Wolfsberg wouldn't take too kindly to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

I've had two previous model Superb's and I loved them both.
    I'm driving a 520 for the past two years and there is a massive difference between them. The BMW is a far nicer place to sit than the skoda. The Superb had brilliant equipment and massive amount of space but the quality of the plastics, leather and carpets wouldn't be a patch on the 5 series.
    I haven't driven the new model Superb but I think it looks great and is a huge improvement over the previous model.
    Clever marketing by Skoda but I wouldn't swap back to a Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If I see this advertised, Im going in, driving them both and then making an offer on the bmw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,980 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder what spec will the BMW be, possibly entry level poverty spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Is there any other version? (Excluding UK imports)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Probably and is probably still more expensive than a top spec superb. That's what Skoda will be concentrating on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

An executive saloon vs a future taxi there is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

After driving BMWs for ten years and having one of the N47 520ds as my last car, I changed to an Octavia RS a month ago. Not missing my BMW yet (and the BMW was a UK import with all the spec).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭micks_address

Inbox wrote: »

Interestingly enough I drove a two year old m sport last summer and the same day a fully loaded new superb 190bhp.. The superb wasn't an auto but in the short spin I have I wouldn't have said the superb was worse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I know the one that we have is an M Sport, and the Superb is a Style, both Auto.

I've worked with BMW and with Skoda and unless it was someone else's money, I'd find it hard to make the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

The offer is in Dublin Skoda dealers up to the 9 th of April.
    A clever move if you were in the market for the superb it would reaffirm what a good car it is I think but still don't see too many 5 series buyers changing for one.
    I would have thought the superb a competition was mondeo, Passat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,960 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Inbox wrote: »

5 series isn't an executive salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭micks_address

Del2005 wrote: »

?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

I was in a brand new 520d last week, not an entry level spec but with a few extras etc, it was so under whelming is was unreal. The interior felt average and the drive was distinctly average. A decent spec Superb would be a much nicer place to sit than the BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Cloth seats, windey windows, plastic steering wheel?
    jca wrote: »
    Is there any other version? (Excluding UK imports)

What's the difference between a UK BMW 520d and an Irish BMW 520d in standard specification?

Bums on seats works for the Skoda Superb. There's very few people that we've put in to a Superb on a temporary basis who haven't been very impressed with it, but most of those drivers would be in Mondeo/Passat/Insgina etc.

Whether you'll get drivers who are in a 5 Series, or have the option of going for a 5 series, in to a Superb..... I think that's a bit of a stretch. Superb has the advantage of more space and lower cost (and BIK for Company Car drivers), but doesn't really add that much equipment as standard. Off the top of my head, it's only Lumbar support on the 5 Series that's standard on the Superb Style, that I'd be adding to the 5 Series.

A €10k saving between a 520d SE Auto and a Superb Style 190 DSG is not to be sniffed at, and if it's your money / you are budget conscious then it's the way to go. If it's not your money and the monthly difference in costs is negligible then I'd say most will still order the 5 Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

I don't necessarily think this is to get 5 series drivers into Superbs, more to push the image a bit higher for people who are considering a Passat, Superb, Insignia etc.

It shows they will get themselves into a high spec car for their budget, not necessarily that BM men can save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id even suggest the idea behind it is to get people through the door who cant have a 5 series and go " look its basically the same thing , only 10k cheaper"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

As an increasing number people on this forum will say, they are both exactly the same thing, don't get suckered by the big brand advertising!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Id even suggest the idea behind it is to get people through the door who cant have a 5 series and go " look its basically the same thing , only 10k cheaper"

Thats exactly it. It's to make potential Skoda customers more likely to buy, not to draw BMW customers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

millington wrote: »
    Thats exactly it. It's to make potential Skoda customers more likely to buy, not to draw BMW customers in.

that would be the likely target of the campaign; much like after the 2011 elections Skoda offered the superb as an alternative to the usual mix of ministerial cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,293 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The simple fact that they have a BMW in the garage puts it in people's minds that they are the a comparable level (when price is taken into account). In other words, its "above" the Mondeo, Passat etc in terms of being competition.

I don't think anyone who would buy BMW would be tempted across, but sure they aren't the target market. The idea is to make the prospective buyer of the Skoda feel better about the pedigree/value for money of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

It's very clever, fair play to them so doing something a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't think it's that clever to be honest.
    There are a significant number of buyers who won't have any experience of a luxury brand or what it feels like.
    I know skoda drivers who would rave about their octavia having never experienced another car yet wouldn't look at one now after being coaxed into a 3 series.
    What's the chances some genuine new Skoda buyers will see the 5 series and think, I might get myself a year old one of them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I just priced up a Superb to have similar power, 4x4, DSG and zero other additional options. RRP is nearly 48k!:eek:

An automatic 520d SE is 50k, I take it back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Del2005 wrote: »

Yeah? So tell me...what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Wailin wrote: »
    Yeah? So tell me...what is?

An Avensis most probably :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

vintagevrs wrote: »
    It's very clever, fair play to them so doing something a bit different.

Simply clever...
    Sorry I couldn't resist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

The days of Skoda being a good value brand seem to be over as they seem to be attempting to move upmarket all the time.
    I was comparing the specs on Skoda and VW websites and with the various kit offers VW are doing a Passat is actually cheaper spec for spec.
    The Skoda is ugly enough from the rear three quarters on too. I accept they are massive inside however and I'm sure very comfortable.
    I reckon mick dw might be close to the mark that this has potential to steer people into the premium car rather than away when they see the final price of a well kitted Superb in comparison.

Advertisement