Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Abl evse programming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I see A and B on the Rs 485 to USB, where does ground connect to ?

In general for Rs485 no ground connection is neccessary

Mad_lad

I'm finished with mine at the moment if you want a lend , or maybe you want to buy a new one anyway ? , I can pop the adaptor in the post Monday

If you have access to an rj11 cable you can plug that into the programming connector , it's down the side of the EVCC , I can give you the pinouts, it saves trying to get wires to the EVCC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I didn't ground mine either. I saw the RJ11 wired up once I opened mine but already had the USB cable ready.
    I actually haven't even tested mine yet with the car as it's with BMW getting some updates and fixes.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Mad_lad

I'm finished with mine at the moment if you want a lend , or maybe you want to buy a new one anyway ? , I can pop the adaptor in the post Monday

If you have access to an rj11 cable you can plug that into the programming connector , it's down the side of the EVCC , I can give you the pinouts, it saves trying to get wires to the EVCC
    Thanks BoatMad but I ordered one last night on shift while I was bored lol.

I thought it might be handy to have around anyway just in case I need it again.

Give me the pin outs though please that would be handy.

Thanks BoatMad but I ordered one last night on shift while I was bored lol.

I thought it might be handy to have around anyway just in case I need it again.

Give me the pin outs though please that would be handy.

Have you a RJ48 to RJ48 cable you can cut one side off. Otherwise you have to wire into the EVCC rs485 connector and that awkward as the shutter mechanism of the menneseke socket is right up against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 michaelbrowne

s.welstead wrote: »
    I used the EVCC software rather than commands. Switch it to manual mode and set the new Max rate and it accepts the changes.

Where do you get the EVCC software?
    I know I can use a serial terminal but is there GUI software available?

Have you a RJ48 to RJ48 cable you can cut one side off. Otherwise you have to wire into the EVCC rs485 connector and that awkward as the shutter mechanism of the menneseke socket is right up against it.

I can make one up no problem.

Haven't got around to it, not a lot of time when off shift, but today I realised I need to get it sorted because the extra 3.3 Kw of juice would have been extremely handy.

I need to get a RCBO , I'm just wondering if I should get it for the 32 amps or 40, the Leaf won't pull much more than 28 amps so 32 will be fine but the cable is 40 amps to the junction box where the Electrician then cabled to the EVSE, I am not sure if this cable will handle the 32 amps.

I can make one up no problem.

Haven't got around to it, not a lot of time when off shift, but today I realised I need to get it sorted because the extra 3.3 Kw of juice would have been extremely handy.

I need to get a RCBO , I'm just wondering if I should get it for the 32 amps or 40, the Leaf won't pull much more than 28 amps so 32 will be fine but the cable is 40 amps to the junction box where the Electrician then cabled to the EVSE, I am not sure if this cable will handle the 32 amps.

I installed a RCBO of 40 amps , 32 is a little tight

Note you don't need the gui software. It's three commands using any serial terminal ,

I paid 18 euros for my RCBO

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michaelbrowne

Is it necessary to use 120Ω resistors to terminate both ends of the RS485 connection?

Is it necessary to use 120Ω resistors to terminate both ends of the RS485 connection?

no for a single connection you can ignore them, RS485 can run for 100s of metres and its then you need those termination resistors

The ABL RJ45 connector has some series resistors in the circuit , its helps if you can access that connector, but it will work wired directly to the AB terminals , ( if awkward to get at )

WARNING: This info is supplied on a take it or leave it basis, messing with high current 230VAC can be lethal , You need to be aware of the effects of high powered loading of your house system. Modifications to your consumer distribution board require a RECI certified electrician

If you dont understand it , dont do it .

• Advertisement

OK so we'll go with this thread from the Ioniq thread then ?

So I found the software on my NAS for the ABL unit, so all I need is the cable which I'll get soon hopefully, now that I'll be moving in the next few weeks I want to get it sorted, 32A charging will be quiet handy for me or around 27 amps to be more precise for the 6.6 Kw Leaf at 240 Volts ?

So this is the RS485 device

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-to-RS485-USB-485-Converter-Adapter-Support-Win7-XP-Vista-Linux-Mac-OS-WinCE5-/291690934001?hash=item43ea226ef1:g:goMAAOSw54xUXotA&clk_rvr_id=1156646580239&rmvSB=true

Can anyone share a wiring diagram , was it to RJ45 ?

So after looking through the docs again this is the official device for flashing the ABL units.

https://www.stroomstore.nl/abl-sursum-usb-rs485-omvormer-programmeeradapter-inclusief-software/pid=37589

Adding up the files if anyone needs them https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhv2rvcqncygzxo/EVCCSetPar.zip?dl=0, original credit to Mundogas

Any USB to RS485 should work and wire it direct to the A and B terminals on the ABL unit.
    The software is on the link if you're not too comfortable with the direct commands. Remember to switch to Manual Mode to enable any changes.

Also just to note it is possible to tether this unit also but its not exactly straight forward so its easier to just lock a type 2 cable to it instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone got a lend of an adapter / dongle that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I lost the keys to mine. And I left the dongle in there. If you or someone else knows how to open it, the dongle is yours!

unkel wrote: »
    I lost the keys to mine. And I left the dongle in there. If you or someone else knows how to open it, the dongle is yours!

Does the same key open them all?

I got one from Nigel Daly last year and he asked no questions with regards to the unit so I assume the same key opens them?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Does the same key open them all?

I got one from Nigel Daly last year and he asked no questions with regards to the unit so I assume the same key opens them?

Then surely the one key opens them all :D
    Gumbo wrote: »

Yes. That's the one. Local to you too. But looks like it is sold?

You're more than welcome to drop over to me in Lucan with that key, if it opens the charger, the dongle is yours :D

unkel wrote: »
    Then surely the one key opens them all :D

Yes. That's the one. Local to you too. But looks like it is sold?

You're more than welcome to drop over to me in Lucan with that key, if it opens the charger, the dongle is yours :D

Thanks.
    I’ll see if this guy has any left. My link appears to show it as still available.
    There’s one or 2 sellers in Glasnevin and ballymun so within 5 mins of me.

If they fall short I’ll take you up on your offer then. Get a look at that MS too :)

If I can do this upgrade on the ABL, I’ll sell the BMW I Wallbox Plis I got. T hands on yesterday :)

One thing, if I change the unit to 32a, then disconnect it to move it onto another wall, would it require flashing again?

Probably best to just do it after moving it.

Here’s another - https://www.adverts.ie/4703222

Just making sure I pick up the right usb.

Doesn't matter if you move it, it's a change until you set it back.
    Any of those USB dongles should work

• Advertisement

And FWIW, I flashed mine 3 years ago and it is still working perfectly fine now. Never missed a beat.

stesaurus wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if you move it, it's a change until you set it back.
    Any of those USB dongles should work

Thanks. Just ordered now.
    Have the files from Dropbox so I’ll do that this week hopefully.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Will update when I’m going it.

If anyone needs a usb adaptor I have one.
    Located in the Dublin 11 area.

Advertisement