Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurers not covering certain makes/models

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Got my insurance renewal notice in the post yesterday.

I'm currently with 123.ie, car is a 98 Starlet, I have a clean licence, no claims, accidents, nuttin! Last year I paid the bones of €650 odd (I left it late didnt shop around). Was thinking this year it might be cloers to the €500 mark.

My quote for this year, third party fire and theft is €1030!!!!! :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wow, over a grand for a 98 Starlet? :eek: That's completely insane. :mad: I was and still am livid paying 1600 quid for a 98 Integra Type R, but the more I read of folks with cars that are more "normal" paying figures like yours, but that just happen to be over ten years old on SIMI's hitlist the more I feel "lucky", what with the Japanese import and Type R tax. It's still bloody ridiculous though. :mad:

Still CB, I'd definitely shop around and keep shopping around. You're bound to get a lower quote on your car compared to that daylight robbery. That's ridiculous.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Got my insurance renewal notice in the post yesterday.

I'm currently with 123.ie, car is a 98 Starlet, I have a clean licence, no claims, accidents, nuttin! Last year I paid the bones of €650 odd (I left it late didnt shop around). Was thinking this year it might be cloers to the €500 mark.

My quote for this year, third party fire and theft is €1030!!!!! :eek::eek:

I know, it was a similar case for me for my '95 Starlet, the renewal quote was a bit lower than your's but still way too high. Eventually though I got a fairly reasonable quote with AXA which I took, think it was just under €500 for TPFT.

I tried of course getting classic car insurance for it, but no luck there...

Wibbs wrote: »
    Wow, over a grand for a 98 Starlet? :eek: That's completely insane. :mad: I was and still am livid paying 1600 quid for a 98 Integra Type R, but the more I read of folks with cars that are more "normal" paying figures like yours, but that just happen to be over ten years old on SIMI's hitlist the more I feel "lucky", what with the Japanese import and Type R tax. It's still bloody ridiculous though. :mad:

Still CB, I'd definitely shop around and keep shopping around. You're bound to get a lower quote on your car compared to that daylight robbery. That's ridiculous.
    Lellostag wrote: »
    I know, it was a similar case for me for my '95 Starlet, the renewal quote was a bit lower than your's but still way too high. Eventually though I got a fairly reasonable quote with AXA which I took, think it was just under €500 for TPFT.

I tried of course getting classic car insurance for it, but no luck there...

Cheers guys! Just havent had the time to call around yet, but for the sake of interest I just went onto the 123.ie website and put in my info to get an online quote, at the end of it all a message tell me they are sorry but they cant offer me a quote! :rolleyes:

So, I checked out Bank of Ireland, they do car insuance, their quote for their 'Popular' insurance was €508 and for 'Prestige' it was €538. Thats a bit more like it!! But I will be taking the time to ring around soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

So, I checked out Bank of Ireland, they do car insuance, their quote for their 'Popular' insurance was €508 and for 'Prestige' it was €538. Thats a bit more like it!! But I will be taking the time to ring around soon.

Was just about to mention BOI. They took me out of a major hole before xmas when I bought a Freelander TD4 before checking insurance. Just assumed it would be no bother. Absolutely all of the major companies and a few of the less well known were looking for €800 plus.
    Found BOI last minute and got a policy with them for less than €400. I'd be impressed if you bettered their quote tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Update on this thread.... I had a chat with a man who was selling a pristine little 1L Starlet at the Swords show a couple of weeks ago. It was similar age and condition to the one I was watching online and asked him how he faired with insurance.
    I was shocked to find out First Ireland covered him on a classic policy! :rolleyes: It's the only car he has with them, separate daily driver policy elsewhere and apparently they made no bones about it at all. All this malarky about Starlets not being on AIG books......... Just goes to show you can't believe a word they tell you on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,968 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got a quote from First Ireland for classic insurance on a '00 BMW 318Ci coupe sport. €220 (limit 2k miles) or €260 (limit 4k miles) if I already had regular insurance in my own name on another car and €340 (limit 6k miles) if it was my only car

All of those quotes were for fully comprehensive cover!

(My regular renewal quote on the same car came in at €625 TPFT, could not get any online quote, but did not ring around either)

Don't give up hope folks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I tried everywhere U and even though I have full no claims, no points, looking at the half century age wise and a full licence holder since the 1980's, sub 2000kms per year, driving the same car for just over ten years with no bother(and far higher yearly milage traveled in previous years), but nope, pretty much all but crowd but one refused me(one crowd of robbers wanted nearly 3k). A couple were "decent" enough to refuse me point blank, time wasting **** like 123 and Chill had me go through the motions with all my details only to refuse me at the end. My broker independently went around the companies as well. No joy. Oh and that 1600 is only TPFT with a couple of extras. Hopefully I can get something cheaper for 2017, but I don't hold out much hope TBH. That said U I can't recall speaking to First Ireland about a classic policy, but with my memory… I'll defo make sure to ring them come December though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

unkel wrote: »
    Got a quote from First Ireland for classic insurance on a '00 BMW 318Ci coupe sport. €220 (limit 2k miles) or €260 (limit 4k miles) if I already had regular insurance in my own name on another car and €340 (limit 6k miles) if it was my only car

All of those quotes were for fully comprehensive cover!

(My regular renewal quote on the same car came in at €625 TPFT, could not get any online quote, but did not ring around either)

Don't give up hope folks!

The problem is you would lose any No Claims Discount you have earned.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I tried everywhere U and even though I have full no claims, no points, looking at the half century age wise and a full licence holder since the 1980's, sub 2000kms per year, driving the same car for just over ten years with no bother(and far higher yearly milage traveled in previous years), but nope

I feel your pain Wibbs. It seems you are not the problem, but your car is. Japanese performance cars are are the toy of choice for scumbags, scrotes. 12 year old doughnut performance artists and general knackers - red, red, flag for the insurance actuaries looking at actual accident and claim data

You can't win this battle. Maybe move to another car that will also give you great driving pleasure but won't give you as much grief getting it insured?

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    The problem is you would lose any No Claims Discount you have earned.

Nope. Any NCD certificate will stand for 2 years.

unkel wrote: »
    red, red, flag for the insurance actuaries looking at actual accident and claim data and/or pulling figures out of their arses
    FYP :D. I could understand that if it was five or ten years ago when there was so many more on the road and by extension more claims etc, but they were significantly cheaper to insure then. Oh and for all the equality stuff, being a man still goes against you with some companies. After I got my insurance I got a woman I know to ring around to try and get a quote and yes the majority were of similar attitude, but she had more Ok we'll insure you and lower prices. 10-20%.
    You can't win this battle. Maybe move to another car that will also give you great driving pleasure but won't give you as much grief getting it insured?
    Sure, though sadly few enough have the combination of reliability, practicality, real world above average modern level performance and raw driving feel. Certainly not at my price point and any that might tempt me would be insurance monsters anyway.

Mind you your example of a BMW 318Ci coupe sport are a very nice car, crazy cheap for what you get too. Very different mind you. It would be like going from living with a crazy supermodel in an unheated, undecorated flat in Manhattan to a less insane fat lass in the suburbs. :D

Joking aside about the BMW's, even the briefest gander at donedeal shows some cracking cars for little enough money. :eek: It's been a while since I looked. :o I mean look at this BMW . OK knowledgable folks will likely cry foul and point out more issues than TIME's back catalogue, but surely that's a typo? Pretty much half what I'm paying in insurance annually. :eek: That's a huge lump of car for the money.

Been onto a few of the usual suspects and a couple of brokers, none of which could offer me anything under €1000!!! Couple of them, when I gave my reg recoiled and I could hear them go 'uhhh...a Glanza!', its not a Glanza, its a regular ol' Starlet but suddenly now it seems to be listed as one, thats never happened me before?! :mad:

Anyway, was asking a couple of them what the deal was?! I'm 32, I have the car 4 years, have full licence, no points, no claims but was told that this is how it is now, its been written in that cars over 15 years just arent feasible to insure! One guy, when I told him that Bank of Ireland had quoted me over €500 wouldnt believe it and said there had to be something amiss!

Called Bank of Ireland to be sure and indeed I was quoted €528 for their 'Popular' insurance option, €560 for 'Prestige'.

You can see who I'm leaning towards!

So guys, if youre getting the same hassle I am try the BOI!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't think its just classic or older cars. The other half insurance has almost doubled with a Full NC, clean licence and boring not not too old, MPV. Other people in the family and work reporting the same. My renewal on a 16yr old car was ok before xmas, I think next time, it will be uninsurable.

Advertisement