Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurers not covering certain makes/models

Options
  • 31-03-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

I know certain imports / modified / big engined stuff would not be covered by a lot of companies but just wondering what would the reason behind not covering a 1L 25 year old Toyota Starlet! Spotted a low miler on DD which looks in decent nick and it's a year older than the Mini I have covered with First Ireland but they wouldn't look at it....
    Is it the modified / boy racer scene with these cars that puts them off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

they are very reluctant to cover anything over 15 yrs . This is a quite recent development. You wold get a classic policy on it though.

Is it a Jap import by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No, thats the thing. I already have a classic policy with First Ireland and was asking them about adding this Starlet to it. I assumed it would be no bother as the car meets all the criteria. I've already had 2 classics insured with them on the same policy before as well.

It's not an import either no, it has a brown logbook. I'm assuming they just don't cover any of these small Jap hatchbacks and they tar everyone with the Glanza brush but I don't know and they wouldnt say on the phone.

*Update*
    Just spoke to FI again to see if I could get an answer and apparently it's simply down to the underwriter (AIG) having a defined list of what it deems classics and many older cars aren't on it. The broker's hands are obviously tied. He told me they don't even cover MR2's which I thought was incredible!
    This will be a hard car for him to sell if it neither qualifies for standard or classic insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Maybe try other insurance companies. If another company would classify that Starlet as a classic, I'd give considerable thought to moving your business to that insurer even if I didn't buy the Starlet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ianobrien wrote: »
    Maybe try other insurance companies. If another company would classify that Starlet as a classic, I'd give considerable thought to moving your business to that insurer even if I didn't buy the Starlet

Ha! Why, discrimination or something? :pac:

I've been insured with F.I. for a while and I'm very happy with the service. If that was made possible in part by excluding Japanese cars, fine. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I've been insured with F.I. for a while and I'm very happy with the service. If that was made possible in part by excluding Japanese cars, fine. :)

First they came for the jap cars..........and i said nothing, for I drive a german beetle.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Did you try Autoline? If not ask for a lady called Lesley. I know that they classic insure jap imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It would make you think twice about even buying a new Japanese car if its going to be worthless in 10 years time?
    Do classic insurance companies have statistics to show a higher claims level for certain brands/models, I always thought classic car claims were almost non existent, would love to see the figures?

Collector car enthusiasts need to band together and show a hand of force against these institutions who think they can ride rough shot over anyone they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

My 300ZX tt is insured with FBD. I had no problems insuring it, yet it is a 1989 car. It's a Jap import.

I did also got a quote for my 1995 Mercedes 220 diesel last year again with FBD.

I would say ask around first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I don't know, maybe just because the car is old it doesn't automatically mean it's a classic? Like Nissan Micra for example, K10 maybe but K11 Micras can be 22 years old today and somehow I don't see why it should be insured as a classic. It's a Micra. A shopping trolley on wheels. And a hatchback, that's quite a new (and boring in my opinion) design. 1998 Ford Focus will be 20 years old in 2 years... A classic? Oh please no! Scrap them all!

Twin cam. Civic. Starlet. MX5.

Enough to make any underwriter nervous.

• Advertisement

I have seen some older fella few times driving a white Starlet (stock I have to add) here in Cork. But if I would be in charge of an insurance company there is no way I would insure a car to anybody who is wearing a tracksuit. Get a pair of jeans and we can talk about your (stock) Starlet :D

On the other hand it's only FWD so you can't go sideways in it. That's a factor to consider as well.

I've been with FI for three years and they have always been helpful in anything I've asked of them. Even come renewal time they don't mind a good haggle and I've gotten great premiums from them. Unlike other companies.. cough.. Axa... cough, who wouldnt budge an inch. (Which is why I went to FI)

Starlet aside, not deeming a Toyota MR2 as a classic is ridiculous though.
    nophd08 wrote: »
    Did you try Autoline? If not ask for a lady called Lesley. I know that they classic insure jap imports.

I did try autoline for a quote for my Mini and it was down about 40 quid on FI. Have a few weeks to think on that. I might see what they say about the Starlet.
    Diabhalta wrote: »
    I don't know, maybe just because the car is old it doesn't automatically mean it's a classic? Like Nissan Micra for example, K10 maybe but K11 Micras can be 22 years old today and somehow I don't see why it should be insured as a classic. It's a Micra. A shopping trolley on wheels. And a hatchback, that's quite a new (and boring in my opinion) design. 1998 Ford Focus will be 20 years old in 2 years... A classic? Oh please no! Scrap them all!

Ok, I see your point but that's a classic car enthusiast talking. I doubt insurers give a shít about the pedigree of one car over another. All they care about is if the car and the insured person meets all the criteria and how big of a risk is this car to be on their books. Obviously they are just discounting entire makes/models simply because some of them have a reputation.

Personally, I think if a car is over 20 years old, is road worthy, the insured person has a daily driver policy elsewhere and they agree to limited mileage etc etc, then any standard, original Irish, non modified car should qualify.
    I remember seeing a lovely 1980 Corolla DX at Terenure a couple of years ago, took me back to my childhood as my Dad had one when I was a kid. I don't see why that man's pride and joy is any lesser than the millioneth MG Midget or Spitfire.

Could it be because the car is a hatchback? There is nothing classic about hatchbacks in my opinion.

Could it be because the car is a hatchback? There is nothing classic about hatchbacks in my opinion.

Can't even think of one?

They must have a reason why they don't want to insure it. And they won't tell you that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

Agricola wrote: »

:D ^^^ I'd nearly agree with Diabhalta in that case ^^^

Classic hatchbacks...

Opel Manta Hatch (I'm an Opel fan;))
    Ford Capri Hatch
    Lancia Delta Integrale
    Golf GTi
    etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Pretty much all the original 'hot hatches'.
    Porsche 924
    Porsche 928
    Volvo 1800ES
    Scimitar GTE
    Jensen Interceptor
    BMW 2002 Touring
    Innocenti Mini
    Fiat 127 (hatch version natch)
    Mazda RX7
    XR4i
    Austin A40 Farina
    etc, etc.

There's loads of them tbh.

Liftback and shooting brake isn't the same as hatchback.

My 300ZX tt is insured with FBD. I had no problems insuring it, yet it is a 1989 car. It's a Jap import.

I did also got a quote for my 1995 Mercedes 220 diesel last year again with FBD.

I would say ask around first

Just tried FBD. She initially didnt want to know when i said Starlet and mentioned "no high performance veHICles" :D
    Once I told her it was 1L, unmodified, original Irish, RHD etc, then she said it would be fine. Great I thought, I'll just add my 24 year old Mini now and I'm away.....
    Nope, FBD only cover 25 year old plus cars under classic! :(

Insurance really is a massive ballache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Liftback and shooting brake isn't the same as hatchback.

Why not? They're all hatchbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Twin cam. Civic. Starlet. MX5.

Enough to make any underwriter nervous.

I have an MX5 (93) as a second car on a classic policy with Autoline (1st Car is a '76 Mini). The cost to add the Mazda on the policy was........

........18 Euros !!!!

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I have an MX5 as a second car on a classic policy with Autoline (1st Car is a '76 Mini). The cost to add the Mazda on the policy was........

........18 Euros !!!!

Yeah, I admit I was pushing it a bit adding the MX5 in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yeah, I admit I was pushing it a bit adding the MX5 in there.

You're on thin ice there, Logins! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Agricola wrote: »
    .........seeing a lovely 1980 Corolla DX at Terenure a couple of years ago, took me back to my childhood as my Dad had one when I was a kid. I don't see why that man's pride and joy is any lesser than the millioneth MG Midget or Spitfire.

I take exception to that, Spitfire's are certainly not as plentiful as Midgets or MGB's, otherwise I wouldnt have got one :p

I drive a 98 Starlet as a daily, have had it for the past 4 years so we'll see how I get on next month when my insurance is up, I've also dropped a 96 Starlet engine into the Spitfire ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I take exception to that, Spitfire's are certainly not as plentiful as Midgets or MGB's, otherwise I wouldnt have got one :p

I drive a 98 Starlet as a daily, have had it for the past 4 years so we'll see how I get on next month when my insurance is up, I've also dropped a 96 Starlet engine into the Spitfire ;)
    So do you tell the insurance co. you have a Toyota Spitfire or a Triumph Starlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

A Triota Starfire :-)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive my two minis with FI and never had any issues. They rate they charge is low, so dont mind it too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Lancia HPE says you're wrong.

Or Scimitar.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

renault_clio_williams.jpg

Advertisement