Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage regrets

Options
13»

Comments

None really, perhaps wish I picked a different degree/career but as my choice of UCC coincided with my then gf and now wife and meant I was able to move back to Kerry, so ended up with a very happy life even if not the optimum job, the pros outweigh the cons. Wish I didn't give up playing GAA so young though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

I worship him now but I brought tears to his eyes.

RayM wrote: »
    I regret that I resented my shyness and introversion, and that nobody ever encouraged me to embrace them as inherently good qualities.

Similar to this. I ended up trying to be someone I wasn't, and consequently making bad friendship choices that still reverberate today.

Having said that, I am very happy with my lot these days.

RayM wrote: »
    I regret that I resented my shyness and introversion, and that nobody ever encouraged me to embrace them as inherently good qualities.

This was the case with me too, it's gotten less as I get older but I would have liked to be a little more sociable as a kid all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭ablelocks

a few regrets, similar to previous posts

but mostly this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

I regret i didnt drink more

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I regret taking achieving in my leaving cert years so seriously. Looking back I would have advised to do pass in maybe 2 or three subjects at the earliest opportunity to lighten the load and maybe have gotten into water sports a bit during the Summer holidays, and taking better use of public transport... but I was / am slow to learn the ways of the world so whatyegonnado.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

To all the peeps that mentioned low self esteem and meeting girls... Get a gym membership and start working out. I have met more girls at the gym than anywhere else, there are so many it’s almost overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

American pie, the movie series ya bell
    That was a long long time ago.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

Using drugs and alcohol a lot at 16. Until finally deciding to grow up at 19/20. Self harm, arguing with family. Dropping out of secondary school and having to take on the biggest uphill battle of my life as a mature student.... Lacking confidence, pushing people away that tried to reach out and forge relationships with me, being self destructive etc. I had to reset my whole self/personaility at about 20. Five years later and I'm still maturing and learning. One bit of advice to anyone who is young would be to always reach out to anyone for support, a friend, family member, guidance counseller. Also get involved more within your community and find something that sparks a passion in you that you may like to study or work at in later years. Don't take everything seriously all the time also as a failure may open up a different path or may be a lesson in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I regret with all my heart giving my mam and dad a hard time. I struggled a lot with depression and self harm and broke their hearts for years. The guilt on that is a killer tbh.

Yes, this happened to me too.

I don't really regret much tbh. Even-though my teenage years was pretty crap! But these experiences helped me grow as a person and all that..

I do regret not getting braces when the HSE could have given them to me for free. Thought they looked bad! Silly me. Ended up paying almost 4K for them myself in my early 20's. I also regret spending so much money on clothes. Never really saved anything. I used to earn quite a lot during the summers working in hotels and could have saved a few hundred a week easily. Oh well. Money regrets only, not important really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Depression, lack of confidence, **** family life and lack of any meaningful friendship/relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

I regret not hoarding mid 90's Mitsubishi's and selling them for fifty euro a piece today

Do you Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I regret giving up sports, especially football. I regret choosing the wrong college course and subsequently dropping out because this led to a few wasted years before I went back to college again.

I regret that I tried so hard to fit in. I rarely felt like I was being myself when I was hanging around with friends during my teen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I regret i didnt drink more

This is a weird one for me, too. I still barely drink today and don't feel like myself when I do drink but if I could grab my 18 year old self, I'd say tell myself to get-with-the-program. It was social death for me to be shy of drink.

I regret not having more sex too but I was pretty powerless to change this- teenage girls didn't like teenage me (much like twenties girls and twenties me!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I regret the way I lost my virginity and how it affected my attitude towards guys going forward. I feel that that was the time to have absolutely no morals and I didn't get that chance. I haven't slept with that many people at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Only 18, but so far I regret not being more accepting of myself and having confidence in my decisions.

First time I wore what I wanted rather than what was common I had 4/5 different girls start talking to me.
    I never looked over my shoulder more in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I regret not going to college in a different city.
    I was a very shy, socially awkward 18 year old and living at home for college didn't help me improve my social skills.
    It was only after moving out after college for a job that I began to have some form of a social life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

1612 wrote: »
    What is your biggest regret from your teenage years?

That I wasn't one of those real mad bastards you often here about on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

Not keeping on my old vinyl, t shirts and ticket stubs ..... I can't remember half of what I had, what I wore or what I saw :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

RayCon wrote: »
    Not keeping on my old vinyl, t shirts and ticket stubs ..... I can't remember half of what I had, what I wore or what I saw :o

Me too, I sold to immaculate Technics 1210's for €700, their worth more than that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I regret not wearing my retainer after having braces for two years! All that work down the drain, my teeth went back crooked again, not quite as bad as they originally were, but still ... :(

Advertisement