Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage regrets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Not using my handsome good looks to score any girl I wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

That I didn't take school more seriously. I lost a year repeating/dropping out and applying for PLC.

I was happy in the course I ended up in, but I sometimes wish I hadn't taken the scenic route to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Cornrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

It's weird looking back the silly things that one might regret

I remember being asked out by a girl when I was 15, she was the first person to ask me out - I ran like a scalded child and then came back with some friends and we laughed at her together like idiots

I never spoke to the girl again and I have no idea what she has done with her life but I do look back on that episode with shame and wish I had had the maturity to approach it better - I'm aware that my concern is partly selfish, that I somehow want to feel better myself but there it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

KungPao wrote: »
    Going on Jim'll Fix It.

To milk a cow blindfolded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

No regrets. If I did anything differently I wouldn't be in the position I am now.

It's a bit timey-wimey.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I regret not hoarding mid 90's Mitsubishi's and selling them for fifty euro a piece today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

RayM wrote: »
    I regret that I resented my shyness and introversion, and that nobody ever encouraged me to embrace them as inherently good qualities.

This. I'm actually thinking like this at the minute and I can't really get my head around it. What good have you taken from it so far if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not long out of the teenage years but my regret was that I wasn't more assertive. It was only when I hit 17 I started to think for myself (I am intelligent but I never realised this for myself, never looked back) and also got away and ended up ahead of the users that called themselves friends but deliberately made my life a misery. I like to think I'm on a great path in life now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I regret not hoarding mid 90's Mitsubishi's and selling them for fifty euro a piece today

I regret not knowing WTF you are talking about!! :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

eamonnq wrote: »
    I regret not knowing WTF you are talking about!! :p

It's not cars

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There was one time when I got a strawberry milkshake in BK when I should have gotten Chocolate. I'll take that regret to the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I regret not spending more time with my Mum. I'd go anything to go back now and go on holidays with her. Especially when I had the money from summer jobs around 18/19 and could've treated her to a trip to Paris or something. She died when I was 25 and it sucks. You really don't know how long people will be around for...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I regret not being stronger and able to continue the one relationship that truly made me happy. I gave up on us because I thought it would be easier on him and as I was young, thought that I would find someone to replace him easily. He has never been replaced in my heart and now in my 40s I doubt if he ever will.

We were very much in love but he was unable to tell his family about me because of religion. He is now married to a catholic so things have obviously changed in his family or maybe he grew a pair and was able to stand up to them on this issue. Maybe he is happily married because of what happened with us - he knew he couldn't let happiness get away again just due to some stupid fairytales his family believes in.

Another regret was not putting more effort in at school. My leaving cert has been the only time in my life where I didn't receive top grades. I took an easy option college wise then due to ill health and the results of being bullied in my leaving cert year and until I gained 2 degrees in the past few years, have felt like I was stupid and uneducated for almost 20 years. If had been stronger and ignored the bully and not allowed my health to stop me studying, I could have had an amazing career by now instead of playing catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I regret not trying boxing as a teenager. I loved it as an adult but the ship had sailed for me to be any good.

I listened to my parents too much and did too much of what they said which in hindsight was nuts.

actually I didn't have a happy childhood/teenage years..nothing majorly bad compared to what some people post here but a lack of love or positivity in my home that makes for few happy memories.
    i think i was always in trouble for minor stuff that as a parent of a 17 tear old I wouldn't give a b0llocks about myself.

i regret it all .
    I'd a much better adult life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Not exactly teens, but in my 20's I drank a lot, took lots of drugs and had sex with more people than I wish to admit to.

On paper, it sounds like a young man's dream but I wasn't happy and when I look back, it was all hollow.

No regrets but I wish I had a better sense of self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Treating my Mother like crap.
    Giving up sport.
    Not losing weight.
    Not standing up to bullies.
    Not standing up for what I wanted to do with my life.

I could go on but I'd only depress myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Not exactly teens, but in my 20's I drank a lot, took lots of drugs and had sex with more people than I wish to admit to.

On paper, it sounds like a young man's dream but I wasn't happy and when I look back, it was all hollow.

No regrets but I wish I had a better sense of self.

well sure now you're just bragging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

smash wrote: »
    well sure now you're just bragging!

Well that's the thing, in today's world it might be braggable but in reality, it was hollow. I say I don't regret it because I haven't experienced an alternative life and I grew up ok so I'll take what I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

I wish I had not let all of the crap get to me so much that it affected my entire schooling. I had the capability to get straight a's but I let life get in the way.

Getting into a long term relationship at 18 and missing all the fun young years!

I regret not telling 'them' to fork the fork off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That I wasnt a bit more sexually active, I had such low confidence during my teen years that I honestly believed I was hideously ugly between the ages of 13 to about 18 when I started going out more to parties and clubs and realised people found me attractive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I think someone else said it but wish I'd gone a bit more wild. I was a well behaved responsible kid (mostly because I had to be) so wish I'd taken advantage of that a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

Being so shy at school,folk think it's easy to break out of it,maybe so,but I changed entirely when I was 21,though I can't say or prefer not to say what happened.
    2 years later I was attacked by 5 guys and any confidence that I had,which wasn't a lot tbh,was knocked for 6,excuse the pun.
    Daft as it may seem,I started to carry a knife with me for 6 months,I know it was completely wrong and I regret doing it but even going to the shop 100 yards away for a loaf or milk terrified me.
    I was on a ventilator for 3 days and got out of hospital after 3 weeks but hatred got the better of me and I can't change my habit,crazy thing is,I was just out of hospital after an operation so my stitches were still there,and I dated an nurse the next night,she hardly recognised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I'm sorry I didn't reach out and ask for help from someone in secondary school. In the early years I was picked on a good bit, which left marks psychologically. Telling someone once would have abated the problem.

For the leaving cert I realise now that I had bad anxiety. I didn't know what that was then. Again reaching out would have helped.

I have a lot to make up for in my 20s. There's a long list of things that others seem to have achieved personally that I haven't. I now have a degree and a career but not many personal achievements like relationships or confidence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Wearing XWORX, Eclipse, and PetroMotion clothes, thinking they were deadly.

Aye, throw eXtreme London into that mix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I had it bad at secondary school, a victim of brutal school bullying in Glasgow. Shook my confidence big time, got into education later in life and got a journalist degree and keep a blog with a dream of becoming a music journalist some day. Have never really attracted the fairer sex and I suppose I never pushed that much to attract anyway because I always feel really worthless and that every girl is out of my league. Now I'm 51 and I'm really fcuked in that respect, I don't know where to start again or as Floyd said in Dark Side of the Moon, 'You missed the starting gun.' How in the name of god do I make myself desirable, is it worth it, just another fecking sexless casualty that nobody cares about anyway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I regret two things:

first is mostly my entire life, I might do it better next time around.
    Take more care of people, try to understand them better.
    Drink less alcohol etc...

The second is regret, fu-see-k regret, making myself feel bad
    for sh1t I did not know.
    Its in the past and besides I am far
    too busy doing stuff now that I can enjoy regretting later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I regret with all my heart giving my mam and dad a hard time. I struggled a lot with depression and self harm and broke their hearts for years. The guilt on that is a killer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Regret not taking a chance when offered a job in Germany when i was 18.It was only bar work but i often think back on how my life could have panned out if i moved to another country so early in life.I stayed cos of a girl i was seeing at the time,We broke up a few months later and the chance was gone.......sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I regret with all my heart giving my mam and dad a hard time. I struggled a lot with depression and self harm and broke their hearts for years. The guilt on that is a killer tbh.

Wow you should not feel guilty about having depression theres nothing you could have done. Do you think people with physical illnesses like cancer feel guilty for breaking their parents heart? Maybe, but Im sure not as many would as those who suffer from mental illnesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

You have nothing to feel guilty about. Poor mental health is not your fault. You should try let that go. Hugs.

Advertisement