Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When aren't you a Catholic?

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Ush1 wrote: »
    Right well lets just say there's a citation needed for that.

Then lets pretend it's true anyway, I can be a gay man who doesn't believe in anything in the bible or God, Jesus, sacrements etc...having gay sex morning, noon and night listening to right said Fred and still be considered a Catholic but because I was once baptized?

Which leads to the further point, what is the point of the question if these things are true?

Yeah, Right Said Fred pushes you over the boundary.
    I was baptised and am not a catholic, simple. I couldn't give a rats hole what the vatican says.
    The Census of Population establishes the size of the population in the State. Up-to-date population statistics are essential to help to plan for services to meet demand for healthcare and education, for example. Education in this country definitely includes religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ginger_hammer

The church tries to include as many people as possible (to remain relevant), so it wants to use the mark when nobody had a choice - when you are newly born. Census is the only way to actively fight back against this.
    Once there is enough momentum then we may even get equal education for all children, religion out of politics, and rid of the incredible blasphemy law (that Pakistan and others hold up as the poster child for religious intolerance).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I do conider myself Catholic. I rarely go to mass although I try to pray every day. An Our Father, three Hail Marys, a Glory be and then a few prayers to St Therese of Liseaux.
    I dont like to pray just when I'm looking for something and sometimes a prayer in need brings me comfort. It does help me help when ive suffered a loss.
    I tend not to think too much about the magical sides like Transubstantiation (the Protestant belief in that it's memorial rather than literal makes more sense to me. I also like their version of the our Father with the extra bit at the end).
    I don't let the abuse affect my own personal faith as I'm sure there are many good priests left. I do think they should be allowed to marry tho. Sensitive 11 and 12 yr olds being sent off to strict seminaries at a susceptical age has left its mark.
    If I was in an accident and was on my last breath I'd like to be able to say an act of contrition but don't feel I'd need a priest to say it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Ann22 wrote: »
    I do conider myself Catholic. I rarely go to mass although I try to pray every day. An Our Father, three Hail Marys, a Glory be and then a few prayers to St Therese of Liseaux.
    I dont like to pray just when I'm looking for something and sometimes a prayer in need brings me comfort. It does help me help when ive suffered a loss.
    I tend not to think too much about the magical sides like Transubstantiation (the Protestant belief in that it's memorial rather than literal makes more sense to me. I also like their version of the our Father with the extra bit at the end).
    I don't let the abuse affect my own personal faith as I'm sure there are many good priests left. I do think they should be allowed to marry tho. Sensitive 11 and 12 yr olds being sent off to strict seminaries at a susceptical age has left its mark.
    If I was in an accident and was on my last breath I'd like to be able to say an act of contrition but don't feel I'd need a priest to say it to.

Then, in all good faith (no pun intended), you definitely should click "Catholic". I'm happy that you find comfort in your religion and also that you are striving to make it real and sensible to you. Please keep on "keeping it real". Nobody's trying to deconvert people against their will, here :)

Advertisement