Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy to skip 'hassle' of Masters Par 3

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ask the girlfriend she'll tell you I'm probably a bit golf mad. I hardly watch any TV only sports, mostly soccer and golf. And I like the majors a lot.
    Last year was the first time I watched the par 3 contest. I lasted about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Boskowski wrote: »
    Ask the girlfriend she'll tell you I'm probably a bit golf mad. I hardly watch any TV only sports, mostly soccer and golf. And I like the majors a lot.
    Last year was the first time I watched the par 3 contest. I lasted about 20 minutes.

Give us her number and we will ask her ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was intrigued with this prior to it being televised, now having seen it for a year or two it's all a load of nonsense but no harm, they're trying to get a tradition going and let them off, won't be watching it ever again though.
    They should just do a 10minute highlight section with the near hole in ones and footage of Jack and Gary.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

slave1 wrote: »
    I was intrigued with this prior to it being televised, now having seen it for a year or two it's all a load of nonsense but no harm, they're trying to get a tradition going and let them off, won't be watching it ever again though.
    They should just do a 10minute highlight section with the near hole in ones and footage of Jack and Gary.
    It's been going since 1960 :eek:

But it's a bit of a distraction really and until somebody actually wins both, it will continue to be a bit of a farce as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

His PR is pretty rubbish though and makes him look a bit foolish at times. Remember his Ryder Cup comment which was probably true but then he backtracked on it. Did anyone believe him? Now he's saying this is hassle but I'm sure he'll opt in again in the future. There's a touch of the Stephen Ireland's off him but I suppose if we were all under the microscope we'd be contradicting ourselves a lot too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

At least he doesn't have the hassle and distraction of attending the champions dinner :)

Speak Now wrote: »
    At least he doesn't have the hassle and distraction of attending the champions dinner :)
    It actually is a hassle and distraction. The last champion hosts the dinner and chooses the menu. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It actually is a hassle and distraction. The last champion hosts the dinner and chooses the menu. :pac:

Should be a good Texan barbecue this year. Maybe bacon and cabbage next year when Lowry is hosting :)

Speak Now wrote: »
    Should be a good Texan barbecue this year. Maybe bacon and cabbage next year when Lowry is hosting :)
    Lowry does that. Ever. He's dead to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Not only to the Ex champs get a free dinner they get $10,000 just for showing up without having to play!

I would love to see their Treasures Report at the Club AGM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I dont really see this as hassle. it looks like its a bit of fun that might take some of the pressure away form the golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

sky88 wrote: »
    I dont really see this as hassle. it looks like its a bit of fun that might take some of the pressure away form the golfers.

Agreed. It's part of the tradition for he should be playing it. The way its been handled seems a little disrespectful in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

DellyBelly wrote: »
    It was Niall Horan that was his caddy last year. He's a member of One direction

I think this is a good enough reason not to do it this year. All the girlfriend thing as well, was past cringe.

Fair play to him - he is dead right.

Some of the pageantry around the masters is sicking - they go on as if the life they have is a normal American life. All the idealism and bullhit.

Ben Crenshaw had a 91 first round last year - rediculous.

Trump should play in it instead with a mexican caddy - just for the entertainment :D

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Agreed. It's part of the tradition for he should be playing it. The way its been handled seems a little disrespectful in my opinion
    Not everybody plays in it. It's a tradition that's only partially honoured by the players and it's certainly not compulsory. It is a hassle and it does distract from the main event. Playing it the day before the event starts couldn't be the best preparation and it's instructive to realise that the last time McIlroy was in contention was the last time he didn't play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

If you're a Masters first timer, or manage to get intermittently invited then playing the Par 3 would be attractive to get the full experience.

Consider this.

You manage to get tickets to the Wednesday practice round.

Are you committed to attending the Par 3 contest in it's entirety or are you roaming the course itself following groups of players practicing?

I would be the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

valoren wrote:
    Are you committed to attending the Par 3 contest in it's entirety or are you roaming the course itself following groups of players practicing?

valoren wrote:
    I would be the latter.

I've been to it and I can 100% recommend using the time to watch the practice round. The par 3 is a joke.

Its especially instructive to follow players who know the course. Just watching how they plot how they will play holes - working back from flag positions to plan where to leave tee shots.

The course is ridiculously hilly so where you hit from affects stance, type of shot possible etc.

But I still think its the most over-rated course and over-hyped tournament in golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

My my this thread has an awful load of nonsense in it. Agree with all the right minded people who said it's no big deal that he's chosen to miss it. I've read where he talks about why and it all makes sense. He certainly isn't disrespecting the Masters, if anything he's taking it more seriously than ever before.

Advertisement