Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy to skip 'hassle' of Masters Par 3

Options
  • 29-03-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Seems a bit odd...Augusta hierarchy may not be happy with the 'hassle' comment. Is he right to skip it?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

It's an hour out of his preparation and a bit of fun so don't see his issue with it. Most bring their kids or friends etc. He brought wozniacki a few times too it. He always came across too me as spoilt and unlikeable anyway and as talented as he is I never took too him. Tiger avoided it many times too but he won 4 of them so maybe there is something in that

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

It's an hour out of his preparation and a bit of fun so don't see his issue with it. Most bring their kids or friends etc. He brought wozniacki a few times too it. He always came across too me as spoilt and unlikeable anyway and as talented as he is I never took too him. Tiger avoided it many times too but he won 4 of them so maybe there is something in that

I'd say it's a lot more than an hour, shows how serious he is at trying to win the masters, I'd say the girlfriend isn't keen on carrying the bag after Caroline got the boot the following year and the last caddy nearly broke his neck when they met Kirsty Gallagher on the course, better for everyone that he misses it!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

He's dead right. Load of rubbish. There is a tendency in the US for them all to show how much they love their kids by having things like this. Incredibly irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

This is great to hear. Gives him an extra couple of hours in the gym to get huge before the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Good to see him skip this, its a pensioners day out, takes up 3 or 4 hours Wed afternoon. Hes obviously changing his usual plans for the week for some reason. Rightly so, the career grand slam is more important than a game of pitch and putt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

He's dead right, it a bit of fun and all but time could be better spent on the preperation. Win the masters first then he can play in the carnival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Oh yeah based on what exactly... he is one of the few of them that comes across as genuine in any interview ive seen.. refreshingly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

It's a lot more than an hour and there's a record that says the winner of the Par 3 never won the Masters.

The spoilt comment I really don't get. There's nothing I've ever seen from McIlroy that suggests this. One of the most honest talkers about his game I've ever heard, always has time for the interviews afterwards and comes across as genuine and friendly with a great sense of humour; often at his own expense. Look at how he's treated by his Ryder Cup teammates. Often slagged (like the curly haired wigs at Celtic Manor and the enormous alarm clock at Medinah), but always enters into the spirit of it.

You've really got to explain that one to me.

Oh yeah based on what exactly... he is one of the few of them that comes across as genuine in any interview ive seen.. refreshingly so.

Well for one ,his behaviour towards his previous management company which was greedy on his part in my opinion. He broke up with the girl he was engaged to by phone ! He bent over backwards to a get a strong field in last year's Irish open when it was in the north. This year he is taking a back seat from helping get a stronger field,funny enough it's in the Republic this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Well for one ,his behaviour towards his previous management company which was greedy on his part in my opinion. He broke up with the girl he was engaged to by phone ! He bent over backwards to a get a strong field in last year's Irish open when it was in the north. This year he is taking a back seat from helping get a stronger field,funny enough it's in the Republic this year.

Rather than waste my time going through point by point, I'll just say....What a load of bullsh*t.

• Advertisement

The deal with his management company is a business decision. People make those all the time, but on the surface, it seemed to me that they were absolutely milking him. Nice money if you can get it, but the level of fees seemed astronomical considering the ease they'd have finding sponsors for him.

There was a lot of fuss about the Irish Open last year because it was the first one he was hosting and had managed to bring in so many big names to. This year not as much fuss but the sponsorship (which was on a one year test) is now settled for three years and the prize fund increased by 60%. I don't know what big names are coming but with that increase in funding, it would certainly be even more attractive.

I'm not seeing any back seats being taken in the above. He's still hosting it and his input has added even bigger value to it when it's being held 'in the republic'.

I'm not getting into the engagement thing. That really is outside anyone's scope to comment on and hardly a topic for the golf forum.

The deal with his management company is a business decision. People make those all the time, but on the surface, it seemed to me that they were absolutely milking him. Nice money if you can get it, but the level of fees seemed astronomical considering the ease they'd have finding sponsors for him.

There was a lot of fuss about the Irish Open last year because it was the first one he was hosting and had managed to bring in so many big names to. This year not as much fuss but the sponsorship (which was on a one year test) is now settled for three years and the prize fund increased by 60%. I don't know what big names are coming but with that increase in funding, it would certainly be even more attractive.

I'm not seeing any back seats being taken in the above. He's still hosting it and his input has added even bigger value to it when it's being held 'in the republic'.

I'm not getting into the engagement thing. That really is outside anyone's scope to comment on and hardly a topic for the golf forum.

I was asked for examples and gave some and my opinions of him which I find him unlikeable,some people here can't fathom my opinion of him which seems to really bother them. They are entitled to their opinion too. At least you gave a rebuttle to my points whether we agree or not so fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Perfectly fine decision, I can see where he's coming from. Maybe interesting when you're in your first Masters, but I could see how to him it would just look like a 4 hours par 3 round trudging behind and waiting for somebody else kids or model girlfriends. Yawn and cringe and yes a waste of time to him.

Only thing he could have been a little more diplomatic about it. He didn't need to be all that truthful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Fair play to him, switching caddies like that can't be easy. More time for the gym and his shoe design portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,398 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Boskowski wrote: »
    Only thing he could have been a little more diplomatic about it. He didn't need to be all that truthful.

+1 He could have done like a lot of the Irish soccer internationals and claimed to have a minor injury - one that miraculously heals itself after a day with no treatment!

Boskowski wrote: »
    Perfectly fine decision, I can see where he's coming from. Maybe interesting when you're in your first Masters, but I could see how to him it would just look like a 4 hours par 3 round trudging behind and waiting for somebody else kids or model girlfriends. Yawn and cringe and yes a waste of time to him.

He pretty much always is. The only occasion that he wan't iirc was the toothache issue which came back to bite him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It always strikes me as a day for kids, so I wouldn't blame him for missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ForeRight wrote: »
    This is great to hear. Gives him an extra couple of hours in the gym to get huge before the masters.

picard_clapping.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Speak Now

vienne86 wrote: »
    It always strikes me as a day for kids, so I wouldn't blame him for missing it.

You're man that carried his bag last year must be gutted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Speak Now wrote: »
    You're man that carried his bag last year must be gutted ;)

It was Niall Horan that was his caddy last year. He's a member of One direction

• Advertisement

The first time I read the thread title I saw it as "Rory McIlroy to skip 'hassle' of Masters Part 3"

Apart from the shock of him skipping the Masters, I also spent a lot of time looking for Parts 1 and 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

You should have just said "just because" it would be easier to accept than this horse****.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 He could have done like a lot of the Irish soccer internationals and claimed to have a minor injury - one that miraculously heals itself after a day with no treatment!

or a tooth ache!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

He's just a cry baby,, any excuse to have a whinge ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I see we have some trolls now. Get back on topic or you will get a month's ban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Ah I see the once a year Masters crowd have come early this year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The Par 3 competition is a bit of a side show to be honest. If Rory feels that extra couple of hours practice/rest is more beneficial to him he'd be silly not to use it.
    I will generally watch any level of competitive sport but the Par 3 comp is just a family day out at this stage. Most players are DQd by the second hole anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The par 3 competition is just like a striptease... does nothing for you but still gets you excited for the imminent main event.

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    The Par 3 competition is a bit of a side show to be honest. If Rory feels that extra couple of hours practice/rest is more beneficial to him he'd be silly not to use it.
    I will generally watch any level of competitive sport but the Par 3 comp is just a family day out at this stage. Most players are DQd by the second hole anyway
    There's also the farce of players DQ'ing themselves in case they might win it and encounter the dreaded 'curse'. :)

Advertisement