Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sofa Purchase (and DFS opinions)

Options
  • 29-03-2016 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Myself and my wife have spent the last few weekends looking at sofas. We're quite picky so have been around a number of shops (Next, EZ Living, M&S, Harvey Norman) and have finally decided on a sofa in DFS which is actually by French Connection.

I'm wondering if anyone has recent experience with DFS sofas and what the quality is like?

They say they are offering 0% finance for 3 years but I've heard you have to pay for insurance to get this, is that right?

Finally, the covers on the sofa aren't washable apparently as they are fire retardant, not sure if they are removable. I'm guessing this is quite common but wondering if I'm right about that?

Thanks for any views/experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ciara Eloise

Hi,

Sofa fabrics labelled as "permanently fire-retardant", "inherently fire-retardant" or "durably fire-retardant" have fire-retardant properties woven into the cloth that will not dissipate with cleaning.

If your sofa fabrics have a label that says they are merely "fire-retardant", they have probably been sprayed / coated with a fire-retardant chemical that will eventually wash or wear away, probably after a couple of washes I would imagine.

You should bear in mind that the first time you wash your sofa covers, they will shrink! Probably only about 5-7% shrinkage but it's enough to notice a difference, and you will certainly notice a shorter skirt if there is one, so don't be surprised when it lifts up quite a bit from the floor. The covers will be tricky to get back on. There's a company based in Wexford called NP Liquid Glass that has a protective product they spray on to your new furniture. It's essentially glass broken down to its rawest form but it is food, child, animal and allergy friendly. Any spillages just sit on top of the coating and don't soak in. It's invisible, I've seen it work with my own eyes and it's brill. I would consider using their spray before thinking about washing.

With regards to DFS' finance policies, I am not familiar with their small print. However I have read that the payments can sometimes continue far after the lifespan of the factory produced sofa. I guess you can be lucky with the type of sofa you get and what kind of abuse it will take (kids, dogs, etc). Check if there's a guarantee with the sofa, it should be at least ten years. Also will you be waiting 12 weeks for delivery? Do you know what the frame is made of? I know most bespoke sofas are made using high quality hardwood beech frames with a mix of foam, feathers and fibres for improved support.

I have seen the French Connection sofas and they are very smart and contemporary looking- Have you a link to your sofa details?

Hope I was some help.

Ciara Eloise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

DFS finance is great, its interest free over 3 years means that any sofa is affordable. The catch is probably the high interest rate you pay if you miss any payments. I suspect the interest free is terminated if you even miss 1 payment.

The terms and conditions are not accurate and don't give the full story. Have a read of them in-store but it will take you a while. I especially liked the bit where it said "you may only use the sofa in the UK" I guess DFS didn't hear about 1916....

You don't need to take out the extra insurance but it did seem like good value for us! You are not getting finance from DFS, its through a 3rd party http://www.creation.co.uk/

Be very clear with them during their sales and be ready for the addons that they will try to sell you. The sliding pads "easyglide" are not worth the money !!!!!

Be clear with them about delivery dates and don't let them be vague about the delivery date.

Ask them where it is being manufactured and have them write it down
    we were told our sofa was being made in "UK" "Italy" and "Singapore" by 3 different sales staff.

You probably have more protection buying online. I think you can return an item if purchased online if you change your mind or it doesn't fit.

I think shipments a left to build up in the UK until the lorry is full so this can lead to deliver delays. We started getting phone calls 2 weeks before the estimated delivery date saying it was on the way and would arrive any day but then had 3 weeks of excuses!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The Last Beep

Thanks for the replies, some very useful information there. I'll make sure that if we do progress with our order we're very clear on where the sofa is being made as well as a firm delivery date! Also good to know about the pitfalls of the finance, best make sure we don't miss any payments if we do go for that option.

Hadn't heard of the liquid glass stuff before but might be worth looking into, I'm not expecting a huge amount of wear and tear but accidents do happen and it would be nice to have the option of giving the covers a wash so that we don't stain it within the first month!

I can't link to the sofa we're looking at due to being a new user, but if you look at the DFS website its the "Zinc" range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You pay for the finance in the price of the Sofa. You should be able to find similar products cheaper elsewhere. I personally wouldn't buy anything off them that wasn't deeply 'discounted' (they don't really discount just charge a higher price for the minimum term) and then discounted again by on the transaction, that's only going to happen for cash of course.

DFS are just the right side of cowboys, they're a bit like Harvey Norman. It's alright stuff but don't expect it to last much beyond the current fashion for whatever it is you're buying. That said most people see furniture as something they change in the medium terms so I'd say that's grand.

Thanks for the replies, some very useful information there. I'll make sure that if we do progress with our order we're very clear on where the sofa is being made as well as a firm delivery date! Also good to know about the pitfalls of the finance, best make sure we don't miss any payments if we do go for that option.

Hadn't heard of the liquid glass stuff before but might be worth looking into, I'm not expecting a huge amount of wear and tear but accidents do happen and it would be nice to have the option of giving the covers a wash so that we don't stain it within the first month!

I can't link to the sofa we're looking at due to being a new user, but if you look at the DFS website its the "Zinc" range.

The Zinc looks great in a picture and I can see why you fell for it. Very cool looking, kind of Scandi meets mid century modern. Check with DFS that the filling, frame and foam are decent quality as if they're not you'll end up replacing the couch in three years before the financing is finished, which I'm afraid is my suspicion!

There's an interiors stylist who blogs that got one of the French Connection sofas and was delighted with it at first, got the fabric guard, everything, and one year later wrote her feelings on it, and she mentions she was disappointed- she mentions creaking, bobbling and rated the sofa average overall. Google "we got a new sofa sarah akwisombe" and read the comments section, very last comment.

I don't like the idea of getting into a financing arrangement for something that doesn't stand the test of time. I would be far more inclined to save up the money (even if I am sitting on a hard stool for an extra year!) and get something Irish made by a local frame maker and upholsterer who holds his/her reputation in the highest regard, who you know comes highly recommended. Yes you will pay more than 1100 but it will last you 20 years, not 3, so it actually end up more economical in the long run. The reality is that out of so many people who pay for the insurance on a DFS sofa, how many of them are actually going to bother claiming on their insurance? Probably very few. By the time is comes round to it, they've probably moved on and want to invest in something better.

If you're set on purchasing, with regards to the covers, you should be able to take off the seat cushion covers but the back seat cushions are buttoned which means you can't remove the covers for washing. The body is upholstered so cannot be removed for washing, obviously. The loose scatter (geometric) should be suitable for washing. Don't wash the fillers as my guess is they are synthetic, they will ball up and be useless and you'll have to replace them- just give them an airing in the hot press. The side bolster cushions with the buttoning cannot be washed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

get something Irish made by a local frame maker and upholsterer who holds his/her reputation in the highest regard

Hi Ciara - great info - not to derail the OP's thread but can you point us in the direction of some of these Irish furniture makers who might be an alternative to the superstores like DFS.

Hi Ciara - great info - not to derail the OP's thread but can you point us in the direction of some of these Irish furniture makers who might be an alternative to the superstores like DFS.

Hi, thanks for the question. I have very good upholsterers based across Dublin and Wicklow who do full builds (and/or reupholstery). When you work in the industry you build up a list of respected and reputable tradesmen (and women) over the years and develop good professional relationships with them. I know I can stand over the work of my upholsterers and that the sofa won't be creaking three years down the line. As I mentioned, you pay considerably more for a custom built piece, but these are items you can keep or hand down to your children and even your grandchildren if you look after them.

Simply google-ing Irish sofa makers will bring you some decent results. However, the best kept secrets are with the interior designers I am afraid ;)

Anyway, we are digressing, Sorry OP & Mods!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Thanks Ciara, I'm afraid if I'm going to pay the bit extra to support Irish crafts people, they'll have to rely on me finding them myself.

Is it any wonder we all end up in DFS and Harvey Norman when the Irish furniture makers are keeping such a low profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Thinking about getting this.

http://www.dfs.ie/alessa/left-hand-facing-3-seater-pillow-back-corner-sofa-talia-100810055p--1#AKrorE7cKZz8OOgk.97

Anyone got any reviews of this? Does it look like a good quality sofa?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I recently had the pleasure of chopping up a DFS Corner sofa I purchased just over 3 years ago for €1300 supposedly reduced from over €2000. It was crap, The leather got badly marked from just sitting on it, One of the seams ripped open and as I had taken out the insurance I tried to get them out to fix it but they just kept ignoring my request, I gave up in the end.

When I chopped it up I found label on the frame saying made in china, The wood in the frame was very light and the back was just a few sheets of cardboard. The whole thing was rubbish,

Needless to say I wont be shopping with DFS ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

We have two DFS Zinc French Connection Sofas, the 4 seater and the snuggle chair (fits 2 adults comfortably). We got them in December last year. Had no problems with the delivery at all, arrived when promised. We did not go down the Finance route so can't comments. We use the snuggle chair all the time and there is no wear and tear on it so far anyway. The 4 seater we don't sit on too much just cause it's further from the tv!! Overall still bery happy with our purchase, they look great and seem to be wearing well for us so far and we've two small kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paudge52

DFS BAD AT DELIVERING

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

we bought 2 DfS sofa's 14 years ago in the UK, it saw us through 4 cats, dog, 4 kids and we brought it over here 12 years ago, it was too big for our present place so gave it to a revamp place to sell for charity, the only thing wrong with one of the sofa's was it sagged on one seat, they cost us over £2000 at the time but were fanastic value, we looked around for a smaller set of sofa's and finally decided on DFS in Cork, they are now 3 years old and as good as new,hoping to get at least 10 years out of them as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I would really not recommend DFS I bought two sofas from there, only 6 months ago,, and the quality is terrible,, the cushions really begin to wilt and sag,,, both look awful now and I regret going there,, It was these ones here.. Buy Irish maybe instead.. http://www.dfs.ie/skill/skl13hpza#1ts16WbMSeqLfoyJ.97

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dubdev

I would avoid if possible. There is no such thing as interest-free finance unless it's your friends or family lending you the money, otherwise what incentive is there for a company to lend you money in the first place? I would estimate 20-30% of the price of the furniture is the cost of the finance. How they can legally call it interest-free is beyond me.

The finance is provided by Creation Consumer Finance, who are a UK company providing small-to medium size high-interest loans for things you could buy outright if you saved for a couple of months. Given the relatively small sums involved, by borrowing with Creation, they seem to assume you are automatically high risk and will absolutely hound you daily with automated phone calls and letters if you are late making any payments or if there is any other issue.

We ordered a sofa from them back in April. It's grand and will do the job for a few years but it seems to sag slightly to one side. My sister had a worse version of this problem on her new leather sofa and this required a couple of call-outs from a DFS rep - who needs that hassle? If you look on YouTube, there are lots of videos of unhappy DFS customers who got sofas which have collapsed, or have been underfilled.

In June I ordered a bed and mattress on finance from them in June and it was the worst customer experience I have ever had. Dishonesty and misleading information seem to be standard practice in DFS customer support, as I was asked if I could take my bed in two separate deliveries. I told them no, but they went ahead and delivered just the bed frame anyway ! I was given various delivery dates in July, August and September, until I told them to remove the mattress from my order and I'd get it somewhere else.

As another poster mentioned, they are toeing the line between legitimate business and cowboys. I would lump in the category of "smarmy UK company" like PC World, Dixons/Currys which use high-pressure sales tactics to get you to buy guarantees, warranties, spill protection etc etc. They have a limited presence in Ireland for their sofa business, and, I later learned, none at all for their bed business as it's conducted through the North.

My advice would be to buy Irish and save yourself some money, ending up with a much better quality in the end as well. I'd also imagine your credit rating would take a hit when a Creation finance agreement ends up on your ICB report.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭moonbloom

I had a bad experience with a leather suite a few years ago. It was supposed to be half price. The quality of the leather was awful, it sagged, faded and dye came off on our clothes. The armrests cracked within a couple of weeks. I was shocked to see the quality of the frame, it was like plywood when DFS made a few attempts to repair it. After three years they recovered the suite. I would never buy from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

We must have been lucky,we purchased two leather sofas 4 years ago from DFS and never had any problems...we did get it made in the thickest leather they had and got the cleaning kits as well..they are both in top condition.
    We used the interest free finance but the sofas were the same cost cash or taking finance.
    The finance was supplied by creation finance in the U.K. Again no problem once you made the regular payment...this company provides finance for all the major retailers...we personally found Harvey Norman the poorest quality in term of household furniture.
    At the time we did price an independent upholstery and the price was mad ..while dfs was not the cheapest they did have the better selection and options in likes of covering and how hard soft we wanted the sofa..the delivery was late by one week,I remember that as it was a Christmas week they got delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

dubdev wrote: »
    I would avoid if possible. There is no such thing as interest-free finance unless it's your friends or family lending you the money, otherwise what incentive is there for a company to lend you money in the first place? I would estimate 20-30% of the price of the furniture is the cost of the finance. How they can legally call it interest-free is beyond me.

The finance is provided by Creation Consumer Finance, who are a UK company providing small-to medium size high-interest loans for things you could buy outright if you saved for a couple of months. Given the relatively small sums involved, by borrowing with Creation, they seem to assume you are automatically high risk and will absolutely hound you daily with automated phone calls and letters if you are late making any payments or if there is any other issue.

We ordered a sofa from them back in April. It's grand and will do the job for a few years but it seems to sag slightly to one side. My sister had a worse version of this problem on her new leather sofa and this required a couple of call-outs from a DFS rep - who needs that hassle? If you look on YouTube, there are lots of videos of unhappy DFS customers who got sofas which have collapsed, or have been underfilled.

In June I ordered a bed and mattress on finance from them in June and it was the worst customer experience I have ever had. Dishonesty and misleading information seem to be standard practice in DFS customer support, as I was asked if I could take my bed in two separate deliveries. I told them no, but they went ahead and delivered just the bed frame anyway ! I was given various delivery dates in July, August and September, until I told them to remove the mattress from my order and I'd get it somewhere else.

As another poster mentioned, they are toeing the line between legitimate business and cowboys. I would lump in the category of "smarmy UK company" like PC World, Dixons/Currys which use high-pressure sales tactics to get you to buy guarantees, warranties, spill protection etc etc. They have a limited presence in Ireland for their sofa business, and, I later learned, none at all for their bed business as it's conducted through the North.

My advice would be to buy Irish and save yourself some money, ending up with a much better quality in the end as well. I'd also imagine your credit rating would take a hit when a Creation finance agreement ends up on your ICB report.
    Your credit ratings would not take a hit unless of course you failed to pay your finance agreement. We have used creation in various shops...including this year when unexpected needing a new TV ...got TV in Argos used creation which was buy now pay later and we had 6 months to pay off price if tv with no interest...huge interest rates if we had failed to pay off the cost within the 6 months.
    Our ICB report is clean even though we have used creation a number of times in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Just to be clear I have never bout a sofa from DFS. Sofas are like most things now you could buy two identical looking ones and two people could have two very different experiences with them.

Generally speaking the sales person is just trying to make their target and get their bonus so will stretch the truth to close a sale. This is not always the case but in big box stores seems common. Take delivery times with a pinch of salt

Interest free credit is a great system IF you pay it on time and DONT let them sell you any extras.
    10 year frame guarantees are EU law not something the company is doing for you, also your fabric and filling will fail before the frame does so its means almost nothing.

Your Zinc sofa looks nice, the cushions look like they will sag but all cushions sag. Can you turn them over, a lot you cannot.
    If you want to look at some alternatives Beechmount Home Park in Navan is a great place to look. Lots of Furniture shops and manufacturers all in one small area. Sherlocks, the 1933 furniture Co, Fitzpatricks, and loads of others.

As for keeping fabric clean, I recommend you get you sofa stem cleaned every few years. We have a light grey suede sofa and a young child we got it cleaned two years ago and its due for another one now. It comes up almost like new and its only about €100
    well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

paudge52 wrote: »
    DFS BAD AT DELIVERING

+100 here

Once they have your money they won't give an f about you. My couch got dropped outside the door and I had to put the legs on myself. A right bunch of cowboys. When I complained they didnt give damn. This was DFS in Cork. Would never deal with them again. Very nice staff until they have got your money. They will lay on the extras. I should have seen the tell sales signs when the sales rep was telling me about an awkward customer that was trying to get them to sort a couch that had a stain that they had the extra insurance for.

tbh I am very happy with the product but not with the service post sale. I would expect a better level of service after paying 2k for a couch. Very very unprofessional. Should have done more research on those in the Cork DFS store. Stay clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Looked at DFS and was looking at €1950 for small 4 seater, swivel and armchair - went to a few other places and not much different. Huge pressure to buy and buy right there and then even though fabric selection was poor and not what we wanted ( that was brushed aside with "you can't have everything"). Quite unimpressed. Went out to Beechmount home park in Navan today and would highly recommend 1933 furniture. Got a suite they make in a higher grade fabric extra padding and filling, high quality beech frame and a lifetime guarantee on the frame and on the fabric once its accidental. Got a large 4 seater, a cuddler (1.5 seater) and an armchair €2400 with free delivery. Would highly recommend as an Irish retailer ahead of the big chains! Huge selection of suites and fabrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

1933 are an excellent company. There are several placesin the same park as them too. Another is Finline furniture in Emo just off the M7 where you can see them make the furniture. They export most of their production to the UK and are well priced.

Avoid places like DFS at all costs. The Internet is full of unsatisfied customers who were pressure sold rubbish and after sales service is non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

CeilingFly wrote: »
    1933 are an excellent company. There are several placesin the same park as them too. Another is Finline furniture in Emo just off the M7 where you can see them make the furniture. They export most of their production to the UK and are well priced.

Avoid places like DFS at all costs. The Internet is full of unsatisfied customers who were pressure sold rubbish and after sales service is non existent.

Agree with Finline, they have a place on the longmile road, I prefer the shop in Emo though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Staplor wrote: »
    Agree with Finline, they have a place on the longmile road, I prefer the shop in Emo though

Having bought living room furniture twice from Finline, I recommend them heartily. We'd still have the first suite but for smoke damage from a kitchen fire. Even then, the original sofas and chairs were contra'd against the post-fire cleaning because the woman from the cleaning company valued the company's products so highly and requested we sell them to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

Couch broke in the living room after only 6 years and looking for a new one.

In Cork but I'm wondering about something online from the UK as an option.

Looking for a solid leather corner one that will last longer than 6 years.

Was in DFS and trying to sell us washable fabrics?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Beechmount Retail Park in Navan has several Irish manufacturers, it's about 40 minutes down the M3 from Dublin and there is no comparison in terms of quality and value.

I really don't know why they don't advertise more because the likes of DFS / Harvey Norman etc are really poor by comparison. They could clean up if people knew they were there.

We bought a lot of furniture in the last two years or so and every time we shopped around but always ended up buying in one of the outlets in Beechmount Retail Park in Navan. You'll really be making a mistake not to pay them a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Couch broke in the living room after only 6 years and looking for a new one.

In Cork but I'm wondering about something online from the UK as an option.

Looking for a solid leather corner one that will last longer than 6 years.

Was in DFS and trying to sell us washable fabrics?

Why on earth would you buy online from uk? Delivery charge would be substantial and if you had issues, they'd be difficult to rectify.

As i posted above and as others have said, try Finline furniture. I believe they have a place in Douglas. You can also visit their factory just off the m7.

Bought mine almost 15 years ago - expect it to last another 15.

Why on earth would you buy online from uk? Delivery charge would be substantial and if you had issues, they'd be difficult to rectify.

As i posted above and as others have said, try Finline furniture. I believe they have a place in Douglas. You can also visit their factory just off the m7.

Bought mine almost 15 years ago - expect it to last another 15.

Order coal from the north and a tonne pallet cost 60, so I figure a sofa couldn't be too crazy.

Right about the issues I guess, I thought I'd have come back with cost plus sofa's too but they've gone since.

Will pop into them at the weekend so, see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Just checked out Finland furniture there, VERY expensive!!!

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    Just checked out Finland furniture there, VERY expensive!!!

Really? What kind of prices are we talking?

Advertisement