Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes W126's

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

New model E-Class is 1.5 inches shorter than the W116 and less than 3 inches shorter than the W126.

It's also over 20 cm longer than the W123 and 18 longer then the W124.

The latest C-Class is 20 cm longer than the 190, and just 4 cm shorter than the W123.

The current Polo is longer then the VW Golf II and 25 cm longer then the Golf I, (which was considered a spacious car in it's time). There again, a Mk3 Polo is longer than the Golf I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Red Kev wrote: »
    New model E-Class is 1.5 inches shorter than the W116 and less than 3 inches shorter than the W126.

It's also over 20 cm longer than the W123 and 18 longer then the W124.

The latest C-Class is 20 cm longer than the 190, and just 4 cm shorter than the W123.

The current Polo is longer then the VW Golf II and 25 cm longer then the Golf I, (which was considered a spacious car in it's time). There again, a Mk3 Polo is longer than the Golf I.

Jaziz !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭gn3dr

w124man wrote: »
    As an everyday driver classic the W124 is much better than a W126.

A popular misconception with the W126 that everyone makes is size. An SE W126 is smaller in every way that a current Passat - except length, but a Passat is catching up!!

Why do you feel the W124 is better for everyday use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Without traction control these are dangerous cars by todays standards . Need brand new good tyres (nankang are ok)Very comfortable and no doubt probably 20 years ahead of their time.
    Still great fun though and enjoyable in the dry. Rust before your eyes so I guess they have not too many good years left especially the older ones.(C126 500 owner here)

lomb wrote: »
    Without traction control these are dangerous cars by todays standards . Need brand new good tyres (nankang are ok)Very comfortable and no doubt probably 20 years ahead of their time.
    Still great fun though and enjoyable in the dry. Rust before your eyes so I guess they have not too many good years left especially the older ones.(C126 500 owner here)

Are you for real chap?

• Advertisement

gn3dr wrote: »
    Why do you feel the W124 is better for everyday use?

I just think they are. The W124 is so much more nimble and for my frame, much more comfortable on long journeys. Now to me, a long journey would be from Cherbourg down to Montpellier or across to the Czech German border in one sitting so a suitable seat/driving position is important and I just think the W124 is better. There is also the economy thing as well and on a trip like those my W126 300SE will be averaging 25 if Im lucky and my E220 W124 would do 35 and that adds up to a tankful either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theredx19

I just think they are. The W124 is so much more nimble and for my frame, much more comfortable on long journeys. Now to me, a long journey would be from Cherbourg down to Montpellier or across to the Czech German border in one sitting so a suitable seat/driving position is important and I just think the W124 is better. There is also the economy thing as well and on a trip like those my W126 300SE will be averaging 25 if Im lucky and my E220 W124 would do 35 and that adds up to a tankful either way.

Would the economy difference be down to the different final drive ratios as your w124 would be 3.07 and the w126 would be 3.46. Very curious as I am doing up a 300se for a daily as had a 300ce and was able to get 30-33mpg on primary routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

just replying here with information on the rear windscreen for W126 SEC - in case anyone else needs this.
    Took ages to find anyone who stocked these who could send to Ireland

Part number A1266701580 or A1266701680 (one is clear, one is tinted, I think they only offer the untinted one)

OEM Pilkington one with demister elements delivered to Ireland for €337.80 plus €120 insured delivery

From here

http://eshop.original-teile.de/

===========

The €636.10 price shown on site for that part number is probably the price of the original Mercedes part. If you sign up for an account, put in your address , then email them the customer number, they will send you an invoice for something like €460

A1266701680 is the tinted version
    A1266701580 is the standard version

Genuine Parts GmbH
    +49 5175 980 500
    Björn Seyfferth <info@genuine-parts.de>

The rubber seal will definitely need to be replaced, if your screen has ever been taken out and put back in, you will likely need the frame bits also, as they've probably been bent out of shape.

Here's the other bits

http://www.avtochast.ru/mercedes/car...7&subgroup=030

8 A 1266700239 SEALING FRAME x 001
    11 A 1266781530 FRAME REAR WINDOW PANE,LEFT TOP x 001
    14 A 1266781630 FRAME REAR WINDOW PANE,RIGHT TOP x 001
    17 A 1266780437 JOINT COVER x 002

theredx19 wrote: »
    Would the economy difference be down to the different final drive ratios as your w124 would be 3.07 and the w126 would be 3.46. Very curious as I am doing up a 300se for a daily as had a 300ce and was able to get 30-33mpg on primary routes.

Yes that's it exactly! At 80 mph the engine is almost on 4000 rpm !!

woejus wrote: »
    just replying here with information on the rear windscreen for W126 SEC - in case anyone else needs this.
    Took ages to find anyone who stocked these who could send to Ireland

Tinted, heated rear window and rubber are available from MB. If you've taken the window out properly - ie slicing the rubber you wont need the chromes. Taking the rear screen out is very risky as its likely to have been there for a long time so the most logical way to get it out, without breaking it, is to sacrifice the rubber.

I had this very situation recently whilst mine was in for a respray and I wanted everything taken off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Yes that's it exactly! At 80 mph the engine is almost on 4000 rpm !!

On My SL at 80, I'm under 2k rpm. V8 power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Further to my post about the SEC rear screen, that aforementioned crowd couldn't find one.

This crowd on ebay seem to have lots in stock

BestTeile24.de

I've bought it for €549 and will be sorting out some way of getting it over here without it smashing.

Advertisement