Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes W126's

Options
  • 28-03-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Are there many people on here running a W126. What are they like to run?

I've read the buying guides warning about rust under the rear window as well as front wings - is this all of them or just cars from a specific era.

Can't stop looking at SEL's at the moment. Really fantastic looking car - reminds me of the '80's, Miami Vice etc:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

My favourite S-class. Hell my favourite saloon car of all time!

Best of luck finding one, I will one day own one too. Or a C126 :D

Silberdistel metallic is such a cool 80s colour:

csm_W126_-_420SE_87dkm_silberdistel_-_01_35_1_61fcbfbd64.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

unkel wrote: »
    My favourite S-class. Hell my favourite saloon car of all time!

Best of luck finding one, I will one day own one too. Or a C126 :D

Silberdistel metallic is such a cool 80s colour:

csm_W126_-_420SE_87dkm_silberdistel_-_01_35_1_61fcbfbd64.jpg

Yeah I'd have an SEC too, but when they are so big might as well go for the saloon. There seems to always be a few for sale. I would be looking at the lower end of the market, project region 😂‚

Thinking about looking for one with engine trouble and putting an OM606 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Ah, droppin an aul dayshul in her

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Ah, droppin an aul dayshul in her

Well that or lpg a V8 one

Merc made them in diesel in other markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

The 500 V8 with gas would be a nice motor to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

I have one ......

IMG_1252_zpsb13ec987.jpg

Mines a 300SE. I don't use it every day though. There are lots of rust places to look for, not just under the rear window. They are no different to any other car really in that respect. Most parts are available but getting expensive. Stay away from the 560 SEL with SLS - they are a nightmare. Best are the SE cars as the suspension is simpler to keep maintained. There was a lovely one on DD recently for €11k of there abouts. If you buy one for about €6000 you will get a good one. If you buy one for €3000 you'll spend €3000 getting it right. Avoid any car that's damp inside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭goochy

And don't buy from charles ironside ! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I have a W126, 380 SE, they are a brilliant car. Some people rave about the W123, but I think W126 is a far superior car, and good on petrol, if you don't hammer it. Mine is on D.D. @ E 5,950, but I am open to offers. Search under Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

w124man wrote: »
    I have one ......

Mines a 300SE. I don't use it every day though. There are lots of rust places to look for, not just under the rear window. They are no different to any other car really in that respect. Most parts are available but getting expensive. Stay away from the 560 SEL with SLS - they are a nightmare. Best are the SE cars as the suspension is simpler to keep maintained. ...
    That one looks lovely W124Man :).

I wouldn't mind a W126 with the SLS setup, but I may be the only one with that opinion. I used to have a few S124, and as I remember, three of them needed work done to the rear suspension. I am not a mechanic, but I managed to fix them all with second hand (and some new) bits and they stayed reliable and smooth after that. The SLS is the icon of Mercedes-Benz of this era and a great, well engineered system. It is simple and rather easy to maintain and service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I had a good few of them in my hands about 20 years ago, buying them in Germany and driving down to Niger to sell them. Gorgeous car, rock solid and easy and cheap enough to fix most of the time.

The facelifted post '85 ones are better and more economical, most of the rust issues were sorted by then. Built till 1991, the later the car the better.

SEC's are rising in price in every market, but you'll need at least €7000 and a bit of luck at that to get a good SEC, expect to pay €10,000+.
    gn3dr wrote: »
    Well that or lpg a V8 one

Merc made them in diesel in other markets.

USA and Canada only. So only available in LHD. There used to be loads of conversions here in the 90's for sale, Merc or Nissan 2.8 or 3.3 engines in them, mostly used by farmers showing off the few bob, or taxi's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Can't stop looking at SEL's at the moment. Really fantastic looking car - reminds me of the '80's, Miami Vice etc:D:D

Victor Maitland* had the best one - a black 500SEL :)

*The villan in Beverly Hills Cop 2, played by Steven Berkoff

berkoff_beverly_hills_cop.jpg

1984-Mercedes-Benz-500-SEL-W1263-300x162.jpg

goochy wrote: »
    And don't buy from charles ironside ! Lol

Charles is a lovely fellow! What did he do on you?

Seweryn wrote: »
    It is simple and rather easy to maintain and service.

I was speaking to a chap at Terenure who was trying to sell his rebuilt 560SEL. He spent a dictators ransom on the SLS and parts are becoming NLA in the normal channel

IMG_1156_zpsd1bfa1b6.jpg

I was speaking to a chap at Terenure who was trying to sell his rebuilt 560SEL. He spent a dictators ransom on the SLS and parts are becoming NLA in the normal channel

IMG_1156_zpsd1bfa1b6.jpg

Your car looks spotless. I assume from your username you have a W124 as well. How would you compare the 2 models?

Yeah I'd have an SEC too, but when they are so big might as well go for the saloon.

When I was doing a quick image google yesterday, I did find that the C126 was looking a bit dated now with the W126 looking a lot fresher. I guess it has aged better (well in my view it has)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭goochy

I would be a lovely person too if I was charging what he does. We had this debate a few yrs ago. Just winding u up !

When I was doing a quick image google yesterday, I did find that the C126 was looking a bit dated now with the W126 looking a lot fresher. I guess it has aged better (well in my view it has)

I think it depends on colour - especially compared to bumper colour
    this one I think looks fantastic and very fresh
    sec1.jpg

Fresh indeed. So fresh it's a bit too bling for me :D

Hope there are no rampai where he lives :p

Your car looks spotless. I assume from your username you have a W124 as well. How would you compare the 2 models?

As an everyday driver classic the W124 is much better than a W126.

A popular misconception with the W126 that everyone makes is size. An SE W126 is smaller in every way that a current Passat - except length, but a Passat is catching up!!

goochy wrote: »
    I would be a lovely person too if I was charging what he does. We had this debate a few yrs ago. Just winding u up !

Did we? I'm old so I forget stuff easy. Anyway, his stuff is good and always negotiable, however there's plenty of rich folk who keep him in business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

Did we? I'm old so I forget stuff easy. Anyway, his stuff is good and always negotiable, however there's plenty of rich folk who keep him in business!

have you bought from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

We have had a silver 1985 280SE since 2008. It gets brought out occasionally at the weekends to potter about in (anyone spotted it on the roads?)

What I can say about it:

It's an absolute tank of a car. The badge is so far away to remind you it's a slightly bigger car than normal. There is a satisfying thud from the doors. It has a huge boot. Ridiculously comfortable :)

A very responsive drive, even with wooly failing bushes and ball joints. Brakes are absolute crap (278mm front and 279mm discs at the rear pre 1986) in order to fit those 14 inch balloon tyres. We have W140 S600 brakes to fit someday, for our own sanity. Later wheels will need a minimum of 10mm spaced out to correct the offset and clear the calipers.

It will rust in awkward places. Wings/under the rear windows are common spots however there is rust above the diff that needs seeing to and surface rust dotted along the doors. Source new!

It's not very economical, but who gives a sh*te :D a very smooth 4 speed gearbox (keep the oil changed) and can go when needed (this has 185 bhp). They like good gogo juice, 98 ron. Fuel pumps love to go, surprise surprise, but are very easy to change (beside the right rear wheel)

Parts are readily available. Recently we had to get an exhaust for it, the centre section. Over 40 units still available in Germany from Mercedes and in the local dealer in a few days.

Cloth seats are ****. They fall to bits and smell like a cats arse if it gets any way damp, the smell of damp is then impossible to fully remove. Carpets love to become soggy too, take them out, wash thoroughly and dry. Bin cloth seats for leathers immediately.

Electrics are.... Fun. He lied. Poor idling/overfuelling is usually a faulty warm up regulator. Window regulators/central locking module often give bother. Fusebox takes the continental style fuses and loves to get corroded; new fuseboxes are readily available, inexpensive and aren't as scary to change as they look. This is often the root cause of French style electrics....

Recommend as a daily driver? You bet! A reliable sod of a car, just sort out the niggly bits and you have a car much more fun than some modern econo dirtbox with a pint sized engine :cool:

20653_104239449595512_7287985_n.jpg?oh=181d2e9b50e8441aaf8a30e1ac173cf0&oe=577757E3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I have owned and run several, recently sold an '86 Irish 300SE with zero rust on the floor/sills/usual area but needing paint, which it is now getting. They are a terrific car, mechanically very strong. I currently look after many of them for customers from 280SE-560SEL. The V8's have longer gearing and are better cruisers but even the 6's, in good condition are lively enough, but not like a modern CDI which would leave them sitting.

Personally the best advise I can give is buy a rust free example with good bodywork, as there is a lot of it to repaint if needed. Drive a few and dont be scared of the SLS suspension, its all straightforward to fix. Be careful of UK/ex-UK cars as despite having recent MOT's they can have suffered from dodgey amateur MOT welding in the past, and all fittings/fixtures will be well seized so mechanical work can be challenging.If you buy a V8 get the T-chain, tensioner and guides done straight away, I just saved a 420SEL this week from lunching its engine, by minutes. Two guides broke and dropped into the cavity, the owner thought the sound was a cracked manifold.

You can slag some of the huge prices being asked, but at the end of the day a Top Notch S-Class is worth the money. I've seen 3 W126's, low mileage from these high end dealers, and whilst top money was paid, they drove like new. You'll know the difference !

WDB123 wrote: »
    have you bought from him?

Yes. I bought my W126 from him and I have to say he was good to deal with as I knew exactly what I was buying and I would have no issues in buying from him again

We have had a silver 1985 280SE since 2008. It gets brought out occasionally at the weekends to potter about in (anyone spotted it on the roads?)

What I can say about it:

It's an absolute tank of a car. The badge is so far away to remind you it's a slightly bigger car than normal. There is a satisfying thud from the doors. It has a huge boot. Ridiculously comfortable :)

A very responsive drive, even with wooly failing bushes and ball joints. Brakes are absolute crap (278mm front and 279mm discs at the rear pre 1986) in order to fit those 14 inch balloon tyres. We have W140 S600 brakes to fit someday, for our own sanity. Later wheels will need a minimum of 10mm spaced out to correct the offset and clear the calipers.

It will rust in awkward places. Wings/under the rear windows are common spots however there is rust above the diff that needs seeing to and surface rust dotted along the doors. Source new!

It's not very economical, but who gives a sh*te :D a very smooth 4 speed gearbox (keep the oil changed) and can go when needed (this has 185 bhp). They like good gogo juice, 98 ron. Fuel pumps love to go, surprise surprise, but are very easy to change (beside the right rear wheel)

Parts are readily available. Recently we had to get an exhaust for it, the centre section. Over 40 units still available in Germany from Mercedes and in the local dealer in a few days.

Cloth seats are ****. They fall to bits and smell like a cats arse if it gets any way damp, the smell of damp is then impossible to fully remove. Carpets love to become soggy too, take them out, wash thoroughly and dry. Bin cloth seats for leathers immediately.

Electrics are.... Fun. He lied. Poor idling/overfuelling is usually a faulty warm up regulator. Window regulators/central locking module often give bother. Fusebox takes the continental style fuses and loves to get corroded; new fuseboxes are readily available, inexpensive and aren't as scary to change as they look. This is often the root cause of French style electrics....

Recommend as a daily driver? You bet! A reliable sod of a car, just sort out the niggly bits and you have a car much more fun than some modern econo dirtbox with a pint sized engine :cool:

Well I must say I have never experienced any of the issues mentioned above and never experienced any damp inside my car!

A really good W126 will command a good price. You can buy a cheap one and spend a fortune trying to get it to the standard of a good one which you could have bought for the same money.

A full set of bumper chromes can cost almost €2500 so be careful what buy with a view to 'doing up' ........

• Registered Users Posts: 35,747 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A popular misconception with the W126 that everyone makes is size. An SE W126 is smaller in every way that a current Passat - except length, but a Passat is catching up!!

A Passat is slightly wider and taller, but 10 inches shorter and 350kg lighter (for the lightest petrol model)

A much better comparison is with the new E-class, which is a good bit wider, taller and only a fraction shorter and lighter (for the lightest petrol model)

Or just one model size grown in nearly 40 years. I'd say it took the likes of say VW less than half that time for their models to gain a size...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Well I must say I have never experienced any of the issues mentioned above and never experienced any damp inside my car!

A really good W126 will command a good price. You can buy a cheap one and spend a fortune trying to get it to the standard of a good one which you could have bought for the same money.

A full set of bumper chromes can cost almost €2500 so be careful what buy with a view to 'doing up' ........

It's not one, but 2 we had issues with damp with... We bought a condemned 500SE (tinworm on the chassis legs) for parts, again it had damp under the rear carpets.... Apparently a common problem :(

If driven everyday I'd take a guess and say a lot of issues wouldn't be present, however the 280 was in a barn for 9 years before we got it. The electrics are still a bit haywire at times (lights sometimes staying on after switching off for example)

A Passat is slightly wider and taller, but 10 inches shorter and 350kg lighter (for the lightest petrol model)

A much better comparison is with the new E-class, which is a good bit wider, taller and only a fraction shorter and lighter (for the lightest petrol model)

Or just one model size grown in nearly 40 years. I'd say it took the likes of say VW less than half that time for their models to gain a size...

Most mass market manufacturers seem to add to the dimensions of a model every time its updated. During March a new VW Polo type 6C arrived into the household and I parked it beside a Mk2 Polo that I still have and the difference is enormous. The Polo is no longer a little car

The lightest W126 Gen11 300SE is 1550 kgs according to MB which oddly is lighter than a Gen1 280SE whereas according to VW their lightest Passat is 1367 kgs. The next 'S' class weighed up to 2240 kgs

However, back in the day, the W126 was always a huge car and it feels like a huge car but as soon as you park it in Tesco's car park its dwarfed by just about everything and looks kinda lost.

@ fancy pigeon. Have you tried drying out all the relays? Some of these are on the floor so might have got wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The new model E-Class is actually almost an inch narrower than the outgoing model but quite a bit longer !

Advertisement