Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 Rant

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Vast majority I've talked to, in work and casually, either:

- Have absolutely no idea i.e. 'Sure, that's the driving lane' and my assumption can only be that as humans we like symmetry so middle 'makes sense'

- Are indifferent and see no issue in doing so i.e. 'Sure, what harm is it doing?'

- Flay out laziness, usually a combination of being too lazy to overtake, so sit there, or too scared to move out to let someone merge at each junction. Net result, just plain lazy.

But once again, you could go through your entire driving life and you will never, ever been told what lane to drive in as part of motorway driving. So really, the blame rests with the authorities and it would be such a simple attitude to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I dunno Pat I think you should just keep on undertaking. I've been doing it for Donkey's years & I've never had a problem with Cops. I go across and back over the M50 every day and I'd say I undertake between 50 and 100 cars each day (you're probably one of them ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Truck drivers are the absolute worst. It's not uncommon to see 2-3 trucks in a line in the middle lane causing absolute havoc. Utterly infuriating.

• Advertisement

No its not. Its a mad manoeuvre that is actually more problematic than undertaking.
    I understand your frustrations Pat. The only thing is I often find it easier to do so cos I'm the only one in the left lane !

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Truck drivers are the absolute worst. It's not uncommon to see 2-3 trucks in a line in the middle lane causing absolute havoc. Utterly infuriating.

I have some sympathy with truckers on the M50. They try to keep their speed constant (around 55mph) but with all the idiots merging underspeed the trucks have to brake and it takes them ages to get back up to speed with a heavy load (not to mention fuel economy). With a lot of (bad) merging taking place within a mile or two of each other it'd often be nigh on impossible for a trucker to stay left on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Silvera wrote: »
    There needs to be a combination of enforcement and education to improve driving standards on all Irish motorways / carraigeways.

I'd say that it's a safe bet to say that a large majority of drivers wouldnt have a clue about the 'keep left unless overtaking' rule ..and in particular how this applies to dual carraigeways and motorways. Imho, the RSA needs to place newspaper and online ..even tv.. adverts to educate drivers about the 'keep left' rule.

I recall when I was driving around New Zealand in 2004 that they had lots of roadside 'KEEP LEFT' signs in place, particularly on dual carraigeways and 'two plus one' roads.

In conjunction with this, some tickets for offending drivers would really highlight the issue!

I agree, if the government wanted to fix the m50 they could easily:

- introduce motorway driving into the driving test
    - have 2 motorbike gardai on each side 24/7 giving out points & fines for anyone in the wrong lane

Education+enforcement and you're done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I agree, if the government wanted to fix the m50 they could easily:

- introduce motorway driving into the driving test
    - have 2 motorbike gardai on each side 24/7 giving out points & fines for anyone in the wrong lane

Education+enforcement and you're done.

Should these motorcycle gardaí spend all their time policing the annoyance you are caused or should they also police the habitual motorway speeding guffed about by many regulars on this board?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Should these motorcycle gardaí spend all their time policing the annoyance you are caused or should they also police the habitual motorway speeding guffed about by many regulars on this board?

Enforce all the laws because currently exceeding the speed limit is all that is, rarely, enforced. Just like middle and outside lane dawdlers people exceed the speed limit because there is little chance of being caught. They should also so the cyclists and pedestrians to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I joined the M50 this morning at exit 1 in front of me was a very Nice Aston Martin. In front of the Aston was a white van man and in front of that was a taxi. Bar the odd car coming in and out to over take these two muppets (and to a certain extent the Aston) held the outside lane up all the way around to the Exit for Inchicore (7 IIRC).
    Hard to understand how they got from the tunnel to Ballymun junction staying in the outside lane all the way around....

Del2005 wrote: »
    Enforce all the laws because currently exceeding the speed limit is all that is, rarely, enforced. Just like middle and outside lane dawdlers people exceed the speed limit because there is little chance of being caught. They should also so the cyclists and pedestrians to.

Speeding is not what is causing the current m50 problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Speeding is not what is causing the current m50 problems

So just to be clear;

You think a rule that suits you should be enforced, at some expense, because it causes you some slight delay / you are unable to deal with the frustration of driving at or slightly below the speed limit / you are unable to deal with the frustration of driving behind other cars.

And on the other hand you don't want a law designed to mitigate the damage and death done in car crashes / minimize the number of crashes, enforced, because it doesn't annoy you?

So just to be clear;

If clarity is what you seek you should re-read my posts.
    You think a rule that suits you should be enforced, at some expense, because it causes you some slight delay / you are unable to deal with the frustration of driving at or slightly below the speed limit / you are unable to deal with the frustration of driving behind other cars.

Where did I say that
    And on the other hand you don't want a law designed to mitigate the damage and death done in car crashes / minimize the number of crashes, enforced, because it doesn't annoy you?

Again are we reading the same thread, I never said that

Most accidents on the m50 are caused by poor driver observation and lane discipline, not speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Hard to understand how they got from the tunnel to Ballymun junction staying in the outside lane all the way around....

Tunnel?

My Satnav tells me I'm joining on E01 As I come out of that place near Swords. I'm coming from da Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Tunnel?

My Satnav tells me I'm joining on E01 As I come out of that place near Swords. I'm coming from da Northside.

E01 goes from the top of Norway to Gibraltar via the M50 :pac:

ironclaw wrote: »
    E01 goes from the top of Norway to Gibraltar via the M50 :pac:

Thankfully I got rid of the **** Garmin I had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Goose81

I think the main problem with the m50 is the lack of enforcement. Today a car cut across 2 lanes in front of me, no indicators and dangerously close to another car. They then proceeded to go right up another cars arse.

Where are the gardai?
    They should be patrolling the m50 in unmarked cars and giving out tickets like candy, that's the only way people will learn.

Clearly these people can't drive so they need to be thought.

How is it every time any one of us goes on this road even for 3 minutes we could come on here and post about the numerous dangerous incidents we came across even in a couple of minutes , lack of policing is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Drove halfway around the M50 late tonight coming home from work, and I swear one of these days the men in white coats are going to have to come and take me off it :mad:

Whatever about (lack of) lane discipline when its stoppy-starty at busy times when you're trying to make progress, at 11pm there is NO excuse for not being in the left-hand lane and there should be NOBODY in the right-hand lane at all. Yet I'd say the majority of cars I saw/passed were in lane 2 and 3.

Jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

When in the west, my friends regularly referred to the hard shoulder as the "slow lane". And asked me did I always wear my safety belt. Nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭creedp

Jesus. wrote: »
    I have some sympathy with truckers on the M50. They try to keep their speed constant (around 55mph) but with all the idiots merging underspeed the trucks have to brake and it takes them ages to get back up to speed with a heavy load (not to mention fuel economy). With a lot of (bad) merging taking place within a mile or two of each other it'd often be nigh on impossible for a trucker to stay left on that road.

Don't mention the war about how long it takes a truck to pick up speed .. the amount of times I come across truck drivers trying to overtake another truck doing almost exactly the same speed during rush hour on the M1 and in the process causing massive unnecessary tailbacks as everyone else has to wait until they have finally managed to scrape past their conquest. If they were that concerned with fuel economy they would tailgate the truck in front for as long as possible or maybe they are doing the cycling stunt with each truck in a convoy taking its turn at the front .. sharing the economy benefits so to speak.
    The problem on the M50 is that the merging lances are too short .. if they were longer giving people more time to match the speed on the driving lane and find an appropriate gap to merge the problem you refer to above would be a lot less common. Because of this driving in the middle lane of the M50 during peak times is too attractive and probably safer for all concerned! Discuss!!

creedp wrote: »
    Because of this driving in the middle lane of the M50 during peak times is too attractive and probably safer for all concerned! Discuss!!

I'd be more than happy if they just didn't hog the outside lane TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

creedp wrote: »
    The problem on the M50 is that the merging lances are too short .. if they were longer giving people more time to match the speed on the driving lane and find an appropriate gap to merge the problem you refer to above would be a lot less common. Because of this driving in the middle lane of the M50 during peak times is too attractive and probably safer for all concerned! Discuss!!

There's definite inconsistency on the length of merging lanes but the ones I mostly use are the Tallaght exit and the Ballymun exit and they both have decent long stretches. Despite this, every single evening without fail, cars in the left lane of the motorway merge into the "on ramp" at Ballymun as soon as the hatching ends (if not before!) to exit at Finglas.

As everyone else has indicated here, the amount of people who don't understand how to use the lanes correctly is shocking.

I readily admit that I speed on the M50 but I'd totally accept a fine and penalty points if it meant that rules and regulations of motorway driving were enforced....

Advertisement