Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 Rant

Options
  • 26-03-2016 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

I joined the M50 this morning at exit 1 in front of me was a very Nice Aston Martin. In front of the Aston was a white van man and in front of that was a taxi. Bar the odd car coming in and out to over take these two muppets (and to a certain extent the Aston) held the outside lane up all the way around to the Exit for Inchicore (7 IIRC).

There's going to be a really bad accident on that road unless there is some enforcement. Traffic was bunching up in dangerously wet condition because of a couple of supposedly 'professional' drivers. It's bad enough regular road users at it but Taxis should know better. There was plenty of road to be used if people had just pulled in and pulled back out again when they needed to overtake and I was only keeping an eye on the middle and outside lanes.

I try and keep my distance but that just seems to encourage these absolutely tools bimbling along in their own world.

Sorry, feel better now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I don't know why you include the vanman in your rant, he was stuck behind the roadhog taxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I don't know why you include the vanman in your rant, he was stuck behind the roadhog taxi

Taxi eventually moved, van man made an overtake with loads of road in the middle lane and could (or should) have seen a queue behind him that was obviously waiting to overtake. The Aston seemed to dither too but as I was pulling back across at that stage I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, he still had to get up the arse of the van to get him to wake up that people wanted to use the 'fast lane' for a bit of overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

It's not just the m50, the m1 is just as bad. There's a lad who drives a blue & white van for Dromad Hire, and he uses the lanes the opposite way around. He'll plod along in the overtaking lane, until he notices the few cars that inevitably build up on his arse, he'll hop into the left lane for a mo', then once there's room; straight back into the overtaking one again.

Every single morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Learn to Iove the undertake. Sad fact of life on the motorways.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Learn to Iove the undertake. Sad fact of life on the motorways.

Seems so tbh, just fecking annoys me. I might just have to give in to the wife and bimble along :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My route every morning is M2-M50, then M50-M1 in the evening. As above you just have to accept using the undertake (safely obviously), otherwise you just get nowhere.

Credit where it's due though, the M2 is a great drive for people sticking to the left. You can make some good progress without the corresponding frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I often use the M50 with cruise set to 100 in the left lane. Always going past slower cars in the middle lane. I refuse to make two lane changes to pass them on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Senecio wrote: »
    I often use the M50 with cruise set to 100 in the left lane. Always going past slower cars in the middle lane. I refuse to make two lane changes to pass them on the right.

Cant believe that anybody would use cruise control on the M50 with the amount of muppets on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

Taxi men HATE giving up the fast lane(:eek: get him lads!!!)

When you eventually do go to undertake, they speed up. All the way up to the airport exit then cut across 5 lanes last second.

Between them and trucks sitting in the middle lane with NOTHING inside them, they are effectively restricting the whole road to 2 lanes.

I love friday afternoons/evenings when it all comes to a head, the road is literally like a racetrack :pac:

Cant believe that anybody would use cruise control on the M50 with the amount of muppets on that road.

Frequently there's no one in the left lane. TBH I think that's what I'll do from now on is just sit in the left lane and not get wound up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭scuderia

I openly admit I undertake these sort of drivers. No shame whatsoever. I give them a dirty look as I pass by from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Early mornings and weekends when it's not so busy. Still idiots in the middle lane doing 85-95kph.

So coming back, on the M50 not 20 minutes ago. Nice clear outside lane, BMW up my jacksie and I couldn't go anywhere as there was someone in front, to be fair the BMW wasn't Audi close and the guy infront had let me on the motorway and out into the middle lane so was just doing a leisurely over take, fair enough. Opened the taps a bit one the lane was clear and I thought all was dandy, a few people in the outside lane moving over once me and Mr. Beemer where coming up, the BMW had dropped back quite away and I was constantly overtaking so I assumed he was grand where he was.

Sitting there thinking, you know what the lads on boards were wrong, people can drive on the M50. Now I admit to going faster than the 100Kph limit, outside lane is completely clear and there are cars behind me a little way back, but behind me no the less that are also over taking so I'm not going to hang about, I'm in a Fiat 500 so it's not as if I can hit supersonic speeds anyway. What happens... an utter prick in an 05 Laguna meanders out into the outside lane. No indication, obviously no mirror check, or perhaps there was and he decided he was going to police the M50 forcing me to slam on. Now if he's indicated I'd have put it down to going a bit quick but this was just dickheadary.

Overtakes the car in front of him, at maybe 5Kph faster than the guy in the middle lane, then sits there. He knows I'm there at this fecking stage. Does the next car like old people shagging and then sits there. Completely clear road in front of him at this stage. I've now got Mr. Beemer and a load of other card bunched up behind me because of this utter tool. Fair play to Mr. Beemer as he went for the undertake he let me into the middle lane and me and 5 other people passed him out in the middle lane.

As I pass, no word of a lie, I look over to see the flat cap.

Ahhhh, finding this thread cathartic. I'd just slow down and move across but I actually find the shenanigans in the inside lane more stressful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

It's bad enough regular road users at it but Taxis should know better.

Taxis are the worst offenders

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

As I pass, no word of a lie, I look over to see the flat cap.

I wear a flat cap. I don't hang around either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

"Dickhead" cameras on traffic gantries and flyovers, they'd need to actually have real people operating them though .. spend a couple of months sending
    Out warning notices ( to help promote good behaviour) then the fines kick in ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    "Dickhead" cameras on traffic gantries and flyovers, they'd need to actually have real people operating them though .. spend a couple of months sending
    Out warning notices ( to help promote good behaviour) then the fines kick in ..

Have to admit I'd be screwed if it measured speed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Jesus. wrote: »
    Taxis Professional and underpaid experienced drivers are the worst offenders

:pac:

I'm to and from the airport every so often with work and it actually stresses me greatly getting a taxi as without fail they'll sit in lane 2 or 3. It actually causes physical discomfort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

ironclaw wrote: »
    it actually stresses me greatly..... It actually causes physical discomfort.

Well it shouldn't do that. To be honest you're going OTT there Ironclaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

ironclaw wrote: »
    :pac:

I'm to and from the airport every so often with work and it actually stresses me greatly getting a taxi as without fail they'll sit in lane 2 or 3. It actually causes physical discomfort.

I'm the same, any time I get a taxi for work, it's before 5am and without fail, they all sail into the middle lane at Sandyford and stay there till the airport roundabout.

The last time I was on the m50 at night, lane 3 was closed from n3 to ballymount so all the MLMs switched from lane 2 to lane 1, presumably because lane 1 now felt like the middle lane to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There should be a dedicated Garda car for M50 N and M50 S policing it up and down everyday. The amount of fines for breaking the law with regards to lane discipline, dangerous driving, mobile phone use, etc would surely balance out the cost of running it. Not only that but the motorway becomes much more functional and more able to handle the volume of traffic it has.

Another idea would be erecting a barrier the length of the central median to prevent rubbernecking. Ridiculous that if there's a crash southbound between J1 and J2 that northbound traffic between J2 and J1 is heavy due to onlookers, as you frequently hear on AA Roadwatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

You could talk about the M50 all day and still need more time to rant.

Firstly I also am guilty of undertaking on it when required, I don't like doing it but it has to be done unfortunately.

What I think the M50 needs are more unmarked and motorcycle patrols and fixed penalty notices for those who hog lane 3. It would actually be a fairer way of generating revenue compared to the flash4cash vans imo.

Those electronic billboard type signs when not been used for warning purposes should display some sort of message about lane hogging and its consequences also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

The problem lays squarely in education. I drive for a living. Spend most of my day on the N7 and m50.

It's embarrassing as a country that we can't teach learners about the importance of lane discipline.

They (the morons) give me a funny look while I undertake them in a speed restricted van, as they chug along in the moron lane at 80kph.

I believe that they just don't know that they are morons. The same way my dog sometimes thinks it's a person .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aongus Von Heisenberg

For the volume on it the M50 isn't actually that bad for outside lane hogging compared to some other roads.The vast majority of drivers on the M50 don't do it. Although the amount of middle lane hogging is dreadful the stretches of the M50 with very closely bunched junctions make this the safer option at a lot of times.

The M1 is a mad-house in comparison, especially whenever it's remotely busy northbound from Dublin. Lane discipline is non-existent and vans and NI registered cars zoom around like a Mad Max movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Firstly I also am guilty of undertaking on it when required, I don't like doing it but it has to be done unfortunately.

It has to be done?

This issue comes up every now and then on the motors forum. I am always puzzled as to why so many posters feel that they are justified in breaking a law as it suits them and at the same time are apoplectic about other motorists driving either at the speed limit, or slightly below it in an overtaking lane.

It's worth noting that oitside lane hogging is not dangerous driving, not aggressive, and not really going to cause any harm to anyone, whereas undertaking on a moving motorway is all of these things.

In this case the main focus of ire seems to be someone on the m50 driving approximately 15 km under the limit between 2 exits.

Let's be generous and call that 5km?

If you are in such a hurry that 15km\h out of 100 over 5km will make you late, you probably need to reassess your timekeeping, leave a bit earlier, and calm down.

My admittedly limited maths indicates that this would be just over a 4 minute delay if it persisted for the entire length of the m50

Many Countries allow for over taking in any lane. Lane hogging is extremely dangerous and in my view even worse than undertaking. It causes traffic to bunch which on a motorway is potentially leathal.

No one minds someone doing under the speed limit in the overtaking lane as long as they are over taking. In fact everyone should be under the limit, even when over taking. People get annoyed at feckless morons not paying attention to whats going on around them, not indicating and not driving appropriately to the road they're on. If you're not in any hurry to get your journey done, and rightly so, pop on over to the left lane, slow down and enjoy the ride. Others want to get the drive done and get on with our day, it has nothing to do with time keeping.

Many Countries allow for over taking in any lane. Lane hogging is extremely dangerous and in my view even worse than undertaking. It causes traffic to bunch which on a motorway is potentially leathal.

No one minds someone doing under the speed limit in the overtaking lane as long as they are over taking. In fact everyone should be under the limit, even when over taking. People get annoyed at feckless morons not paying attention to whats going on around them, not indicating and not driving appropriately to the road they're on. If you're not in any hurry to get your journey done, and rightly so, pop on over to the left lane, slow down and enjoy the ride. Others want to get the drive done and get on with our day, it has nothing to do with time keeping.

You're suggesting that a 15km/h speed difference is enough to cause the likelyhood of you driving into the car in front of you to increase. If that is the case, in my opinion, you should not be driving a car.

If you are so limited in your ability to read what is ahead of you on the road, you certainly shouldn't be speeding on a busy triple carriageway, which I think is the implication with most people posting their rage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Senecio wrote: »
    Early mornings and weekends when it's not so busy. Still idiots in the middle lane doing 85-95kph.

Yep, used to work shift coming home on the M50. 1-2am and about a quarter of the cars were plodding along at 90kph in the middle. Usually up the arse of the car in front. You would get the rare right line only driver.

You're suggesting that a 15km/h speed difference is enough to cause the likelyhood of you driving into the car in front of you to increase. If that is the case, in my opinion, you should not be driving a car.

If you are so limited in your ability to read what is ahead of you on the road, you certainly shouldn't be speeding on a busy triple carriageway, which I think is the implication with most people posting their rage here.

If you read the actual words used you're see that's not what was said.

You don't seem to be able to understand the group behavior on roads. That's fine, but perhaps you should at least try and understand the actual meaning (by taking the literal meaning) of what people are saying rather than trying to create a argument on your own point.

If you've still an issue with comprehension I'd be delighted to try an assist your understanding.

• Advertisement

Yep, used to work shift coming home on the M50. 1-2am and about a quarter of the cars were plodding along at 90kph in the middle. Usually up the arse of the car in front. You would get the rare right line only driver.

Assuming you were intending to drive at the speed limit, this would cost you just over a minute if your journey was the entire length of the m50.

It also probably saved you a bit of fuel.

Getting wound up about this is nonsense. Just tuck in 2 seconds behind the other car, arrive alive, have a bit of a think about, anger and how you deal with it.

Advertisement