Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chill insurance can't transfer policy to new car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

grogi wrote: »
    If you cancel withing 14 days, you get 100% refund. From T&C: "If You cancel during Your Cooling off Period, Your Insurer will refund You the full premium providing no claims have been made on Your policy"

Yes but you are missing the point. The "cancellation" is from the date the policy was taken out. So you effectively never had cover for that period. So if something every arose and you had to produce insurance cover for that time, you couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

peteb2 wrote: »
    Yes but you are missing the point. The "cancellation" is from the date the policy was taken out. So you effectively never had cover for that period. So if something every arose and you had to produce insurance cover for that time, you couldn't.

It's good to see some people know what they are talking about when giving advice about something as potentially troublesome as motor insurance. Some of the advice I've read in here over the years is flabbergasting!

Temp subs restricted to garage cars these days. So they won't have authority to do that either.
    It's good to see some people know what they are talking about when giving advice about something as potentially troublesome as motor insurance. Some of the advice I've read in here over the years is flabbergasting!

I wouldn't give him too much credit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Augeo wrote: »
    I wouldn't give him too much credit ;)

I think peteb2 is highlighting a trend for insurers beginning to restrict temp subs to vehicles provided by garages. Trust me, if some head down this route, all will follow in due course. The more that smart buckos abuse a handy policy benefit, the more likely it will be withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No, you cannot have it both ways.

The state of the policy at certain point of time cannot be different if observed from two different points of time. I cannot say it wasn't there on the 25th when yesterday I was saying it had been valid.

The policy might be void from the beginning (if one provided untruthful information) and such fact remained undiscovered, but the state of the policy does not change. If your policy if void, it is void for the whole period.

Cancellation does not void the policy. It just terminates it.
    I think peteb2 is highlighting a trend for insurers beginning to restrict temp subs to vehicles provided by garages. Trust me, if some head down this route, all will follow in due course. The more that smart buckos abuse a handy policy benefit, the more likely it will be withdrawn

Absolutely. The more abuse, the more push against it. Usually to the general public disadvantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

We've already explained why not temp sub. If you can't get a permanent change you won't get a temp
    I've got people granted t-subs for non garage cars before through Kennco and AIG/Chartis. Though true enough, one thing I did miss is that the OP owns the vehicle.
    What's irresponsible? That when you go on cover for one car they don't tell you then that in the future premiums may go up or down depending on the car grouping should you change?? You can't have been that long in insurance
    I was referring to being denied coverage on your new vehicle, not just a rate increase. That should have been obvious as it is exactly what I was talking about in the paragraph prior.

I did get out of insurance after about 18 months since you seem curious. It's the most vile industry around, and really is just rotten to the core. More than glad I'm done with that.

He said "Temp subs restricted to garage cars these days." that was a blanket statement, not a statement suggesting a trend, as myself and others have mentioned insurers (some) are still doing temp subs.

My own broker has offered me a free temp sub at any time over the period of my cover as there was an issue on their side resulting in my disc and docs being sent out a week later than they initially said they'd be. I'm with Liberty. Now I don't expect to use it but I did need a temp sub a year ago.

My own broker has offered me a free temp sub at any time over the period of my cover.......

Firstly, a broker cannot commit an insurer to agree ANYTHING other than the original contract and, secondly, no insurer is OBLIGED to offer temporary substitutions and can therefore alter their current practice at any stage within your policy period

Firstly, a broker cannot commit an insurer to agree ANYTHING other than the original contract and, secondly, no insurer is OBLIGED to offer temporary substitutions and can therefore alter their current practice at any stage within your policy period

Secondly it's clear at the moment the insurer my broker is referring to will facilitate temp' subs ;)

Secondly it's clear at the moment the insurer my broker is referring to will facilitate temp' subs ;)

Could change tomorrow and there is nothing your broker can do about it. Like I said earlier, abuse of usual benefits is seeing them withdrawn on a regular basis

• Advertisement

He said "Temp subs restricted to garage cars these days." that was a blanket statement, not a statement suggesting a trend, as myself and others have mentioned insurers (some) are still doing temp subs.

My own broker has offered me a free temp sub at any time over the period of my cover as there was an issue on their side resulting in my disc and docs being sent out a week later than they initially said they'd be. I'm with Liberty. Now I don't expect to use it but I did need a temp sub a year ago.

Oh I'm so so sorry Augeo :rolleyes: It has been highlighted by members of staff in the office where I work (in the last few weeks) that a growing number of insurers are restricting temporary vehicle changes to that of cars owned by garages i.e. car goes for a service and you get a lender, test driving a car before buying,

You'll probably find some places are a bit slow on remembering to ask the specific question.

A free temp sub??? Wow!! you mean they wont charge you a fee for it? Bargain! ;)

No, you cannot have it both ways.

The state of the policy at certain point of time cannot be different if observed from two different points of time. I cannot say it wasn't there on the 25th when yesterday I was saying it had been valid.

The policy might be void from the beginning (if one provided untruthful information) and such fact remained undiscovered, but the state of the policy does not change. If your policy if void, it is void for the whole period.

Cancellation does not void the policy. It just terminates it.

And you think an insurer wouldn't charge for that period of cover?? They would. its called short term rates. What one person was suggesting was that the OP relies on the 14 day cooling off period that allows you to void your policy from the inception date on the basis it didn't suits your needs or whatever your reason. His language was wrong in using the word cancellation, I didn't see the point in correcting his language. I thought I was clear enough.

Yeah they all facilitate temp subs.........subject to their criteria :eek:

And you think an insurer wouldn't charge for that period of cover?? They would. its called short term rates. What one person was suggesting was that the OP relies on the 14 day cooling off period that allows you to void your policy from the inception date on the basis it didn't suits your needs or whatever your reason. His language was wrong in using the word cancellation, I didn't see the point in correcting his language. I thought I was clear enough.

You cannot void a policy in the past. Law and contracts don't work backwards.

The policy was either void from the beginning or is terminated from the point one takes action. It could be argued that the intention to cancel the policy existed when the contract was agreed and hence voids the policy from the beginning - but it is long shoot.

If the provider accepts cooling-off period cancellation once the provision of services have already begun - and they are not obliged to do so, but some still allow that - the policy remains valid until you cancel it.

The policy was either void from the beginning or is terminated from the point one takes action. It could be argued that the intention to cancel the policy existed when the contract was agreed and hence voids the policy from the beginning - but it is long shoot.

If the provider accepts cooling-off period cancellation once the provision of services have already begun - and they are not obliged to do so, but some still allow that - the policy remains valid until you cancel it.

This isn't law. And its consumer protection code. Yet again you are missing my point. If within 14 days you decide the policy is not suitable for your needs you can have the policy voided ab initio as if no cover existed.

And yet again let me restate that someone else suggested that was a way to cover a car in its short term. I pointed out why you couldn't. Read further back in the thread than just the current page you see please.

There ya go buddy! Taken from the AA motor policy booklet. Maybe that explains it for your legal brain.

Cooling off Period
    The period in which You have the right to withdraw from this policy provided there has been no claim made. You can withdraw within 14 days of the starting date of cover or the date which You receive the full terms and conditions of the policy, whichever is later. Choosing to exercise this right will mean that no policy was ever in place and will entitle You to a full refund of any premium paid. No claim may be made at a later date.

There ya go buddy! Taken from the AA motor policy booklet. Maybe that explains it for your legal brain.

Cooling off Period
    The period in which You have the right to withdraw from this policy provided there has been no claim made. You can withdraw within 14 days of the starting date of cover or the date which You receive the full terms and conditions of the policy, whichever is later. Choosing to exercise this right will mean that no policy was ever in place and will entitle You to a full refund of any premium paid. No claim may be made at a later date.

Which contradicts with:
    CONDITION 4 - Cancellation
    Please note that if You cancel Your car insurance policy or it is cancelled by AAI or Your Insurer for any reason then all policy benefits shall automatically be cancelled on the same date. Any cancellation by You, the Insurer or AAI will not affect any rights and responsibilities arising before cancellation takes place.

And excercising the right to withdraw during the cooling-off period is a cancellation - it is listed later on when the conditions state how much will be refunded after policy is cancelled.

I wonder what takes priority... Either way it is too risky, a claim will be a big pain...

Yes which was exactly my fuxcking point! Sweet mother of God! Read back a little further, like from the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Which contradicts with:
    CONDITION 4 - Cancellation
    Please note that if You cancel Your car insurance policy or it is cancelled by AAI or Your Insurer for any reason then all policy benefits shall automatically be cancelled on the same date. Any cancellation by You, the Insurer or AAI will not affect any rights and responsibilities arising before cancellation takes place.

And excercising the right to withdraw during the cooling-off period is a cancellation - it is listed later on when the conditions state how much will be refunded after policy is cancelled.

I wonder what takes priority... Either way it is too risky, a claim will be a big pain...

Surely cancellation and cooling off period are two completely different things?

Oh I'm so so sorry Augeo :rolleyes: It has been highlighted by members of staff in the office where I work (in the last few weeks) that a growing number of insurers are restricting temporary vehicle changes to that of cars owned by garages i.e. car goes for a service and you get a lender, test driving a car before buying...............

Good to see you correcting the earlier incorrect info you posted, keep at the insurance game anyway, great career for some ;)

• Advertisement

Good to see you correcting the earlier incorrect info you posted, keep at the insurance game anyway, great career for some ;)

takes care of me alright. Thanks :p And you keep hanging around forums picking fault in syntax.

Advertisement