Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chill insurance can't transfer policy to new car

Options
  • 26-03-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

so i just got a new motor today and rang up to transfer my policy across, went through all the boring stuff and then we seemed to hit a brick wall, he said he need an authorization code from the underwriter but they werent available to give it today. basically said theres nothing they can do till tuesday. no temporary cover, said there was nothing he could do. so here i am paying for extortionate insurnace for a car i no longer have and i have a new toy sitting in the garden that i cant uses for the next 3-4 days.

pi55ed of right now is lightly putting it. its after driving me into a rage

what a useless shower :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What was your old car and what's the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Ring them back and speak to someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Easter bank holiday weekend, to be expected really if the broker is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Stheno wrote: »
    What was your old car and what's the new one?

old car 2002 1.3l mitsu colt

new car 2008 1.4 toyota auris,

10 years full licence

no claims

he said its something to do with my job been high risk. iv been in the same job for the last 12 years, cant believe the horse crap we have to deal with. :mad::mad::mad:

Easter bank holiday weekend, to be expected really if the broker is closed.

but if my car had broke down or even worse id been in a crash and i needed a temp car. theres nothing they can do for me. i dunno but with the premiums we all have been paying recently im finding this a hard pill to swallow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Ring them back, you may not hit the same wall with a different rep.
    I changed car last year an got the same story because the nct was 12 months out of date, despite me booking an nct & emailing it across to them straight away. I rang the next day, got a different person, they transfered everything across no problem & no mention of nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The may not be able to get an override code off the underwriter because they closed but they are are to do a temporary vehichle substitution, Ring them back. It happens every Saturday in my job since the underwriters dont open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Lunatics in their 1.4 avensises

Keep those madmen off the roads :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,523 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A 1.4 Avensis, are you sure it's 1.4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

They're just brokers. They likely transact business electronically. So if the system is generating a referral then they and you are stuck till insurer is open.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote:
    The may not be able to get an override code off the underwriter because they closed but they are are to do a temporary vehichle substitution, Ring them back. It happens every Saturday in my job since the underwriters dont open.

Temp subs restricted to garage cars these days. So they won't have authority to do that either.

Lunatics in their 1.4 avensises

Keep those madmen off the roads :p

auris sorry

peteb2 wrote: »
    Temp subs restricted to garage cars these days. So they won't have authority to do that either.

I have no trouble doing it daily for non garage cars in my job, which company did you hear of only allowing garage cars?

They're just brokers. They likely transact business electronically. So if the system is generating a referral then they and you are stuck till insurer is open.

surely they should have some sort of process in place for some sort of temporary cover. i mean like chill are open every Saturday till 5pm. what the point in them opening if they cant get quotes and amend polices from these underwriters???????

evosteo wrote: »
    surely they should have some sort of process in place for some sort of temporary cover. i mean like chill are open every Saturday till 5pm. what the point in them opening if they cant get quotes and amend polices from these underwriters???????

Just call and speak to somebody else, if the company I work for can do it they can do it. Advise them you just looking for temporary cover until they open on Tuesday, its as easy as leaving a note on your file with the new car details and the start and finish date of the temporary cover. They may charge you an administration fee.

ASOT wrote:
    I have no trouble doing it daily for non garage cars in my job, which company did you hear of only allowing garage cars?

Aig, axa, patrona. It's all the rage. We've a spreadsheet dedicated to it.

Again above depends on your delegated authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ASOT wrote: »

He means insurers do not accept temp sub's onto vehicles owned by the policy holder.

It doesn't have to be a garage car but the policy holder cannot be the registered owner.

Nope. I meant it has to be from a garage. And not a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭goochy

So u bought a new car without arranging insurance first ? Clever .

• Advertisement

goochy wrote: »
    So u bought a new car without arranging insurance first ? Clever .

Useful answer thanks

Look, the moral of the story here is that you should always make any alterations during regular business hours when dealing with a broker. The only way this would have worked for you was if you were direct with an insurance company.

My office works till 5.30 but it doesn't mean we can do anything after 5pm if it requires an insurance company to approve it. So it doesn't matter if Chill opens Saturday.

Look, the moral of the story here is that you should always make any alterations during regular business hours when dealing with a broker. The only way this would have worked for you was if you were direct with an insurance company.

My office works till 5.30 but it doesn't mean we can do anything after 5pm if it requires an insurance company to approve it. So it doesn't matter if Chill opens Saturday.

Im now fully aware of this and will be considering it when choosing a new company at renewal. Thanks for the usefull answers. Mods please lock this thread thanks. Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

evosteo wrote: »
    Im now fully aware of this and will be considering it when choosing a new company at renewal. Thanks for the usefull answers. Mods please lock this thread thanks. Steve

Start a new policy over the internet, like through AA.

You'd get cover immediately - and cancel it after couple of days when you managed to transfer your old (or cancel that old one - depending on the transfer quote). You'll get full refund and only be charged a few quids administrative fees.

grogi wrote:
    You'd get cover immediately - and cancel it after couple of days when you managed to transfer your old (or cancel that old one - depending on the transfer quote). You'll get full refund and only be charged a few quids administrative fees.

No you won't. You'd be charged short term rates. You would have to lie and say you had a no claims bonus to use which you don't as you have a live policy . Or if you were even thinking of using cooling off period you'd wanna be sure you want to be sure nothing happened because you would have had no cover for the period of "new" policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I used to work for AonInsure.ie and the AA. Basically with these companies, they get better prices from the underwriters than you typically would direct (same way supermarkets get their stuff cheaper for buying in bulk, is my assumption at least). The problem is that these underwriters give set policies - so it's more like buying a suit off the shelf than getting it tailored. Where this can suck is that the underwriters are targeting a particular type of risk through that intermediary/brokerage and will not accept others. So while Zurich might be fine taking on a type of car, or 4 penalty points, directly, they might not offer any quote at all through the AA for someone with pp's, or for certain makes (even bland normal ones, not boy race mobiles). What that means is that is Zurich (via the AA) refuse to quote on Avensis' but are fine to quote Golfs, and you have a Golf and go with them... switching to an Avensis mid-year can potentially cause major issues.

For everyone: if you use the AA, Chill, AonInsure or any company who deals with a large number of underwriters, make sure to double check before changing the car! I find it hugely irresponsible that they do not make this clearer at the time.

I usually worked new business so it wasn't an issue I came across much, but did a bit of customer service in the AA when demand was high and in AonInsure after 123.ie bought them out and they were winding down. On one instance I had someone who was 'downsizing' from a 2l BMW to a 1.3 Gold (might have been Polo, think it was a Golf) and I had to tell them their insurance was going to go up by €180 for the year. Then again twice something similar happened in reverse, and I got to tell them their bigger, stronger car had saved them a good few bob on the insurance!

It was odd that the underwriter wouldn't treat it as a temp substitution though, and that they have reservations on a Toyota less than 10 years old. Because one thing I remember well about making new business quotes was being delighted hearing the car was a Toyota... underwriters will happily kill each other to get those on their books. Very low risk, and usually a low risk profile to the driver too.

Ole lad did a temp sub in early March, twice. Not a garage car.

Billy86 wrote:
    It was odd that the underwriter wouldn't treat it as a temp substitution though, and that they have reservations on a Toyota less than 10 years old. Because one thing I remember well about making new business quotes was being delighted hearing the car was a Toyota... underwriters will happily kill each other to get those on their books. Very low risk, and usually a low risk profile to the driver too.
    We've already explained why not temp sub. If you can't get a permanent change you won't get a temp
    Billy86 wrote:
    For everyone: if you use the AA, Chill, AonInsure or any company who deals with a large number of underwriters, make sure to double check before changing the car! I find it hugely irresponsible that they do not make this clearer at the time.

What's irresponsible? That when you go on cover for one car they don't tell you then that in the future premiums may go up or down depending on the car grouping should you change?? You can't have been that long in insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No you won't. You'd be charged short term rates. You would have to lie and say you had a no claims bonus to use which you don't as you have a live policy . Or if you were even thinking of using cooling off period you'd wanna be sure you want to be sure nothing happened because you would have had no cover for the period of "new" policy

If you cancel withing 14 days, you get 100% refund. From T&C: "If You cancel during Your Cooling off Period, Your Insurer will refund You the full premium providing no claims have been made on Your policy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

grogi wrote: »
    If you cancel withing 14 days, you get 100% refund. From T&C: "If You cancel during Your Cooling off Period, Your Insurer will refund You the full premium providing no claims have been made on Your policy"

Yup, I remember a fella I know used to run Quinn direct and do this, get insured for the 10 days on a dirtbox. When it was up he would sell the car on and get the bus. Then do it all over again!

Advertisement