Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are water meters still being installed?

Options
  • 26-03-2016 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭

They haven't been around my area in over 6 months (N. Dublin). There's still tarmcadam around the ones they did install as a temporary fix.

There's about ⅓ of my estate done, (I don't have one). And I'm wondering if they've just laid off everyone or are there some iron clad contracts in place where we're still paying for a load of guys to do nothing (much like our politicians)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yeah was wondering the same,haven't seen them in ages..
    Think there's a second phase of installation or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

There work is frozen until they find out what government if any is going to pay them for there work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

kneemos wrote: »
    Yeah was wondering the same,haven't seen them in ages..
    Think there's a second phase of installation or something.

I was wondering if it was all stalled late last year due to the impending election?

And won't start back up until that is all sorted.

I too, was a wondering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OU812 wrote: »
    And I'm wondering if they've just laid off everyone or are there some iron clad contracts in place where we're still paying for a load of guys to do nothing
    You're just here to score points, aren't you?

Otherwise, I'm not dignifying your paranoid delusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They have just started in this area in the last fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

They are alive and well in Cork. Visit the "Gurranabraher says no" Facebook page. They were trying to get into 6 northside estates.

There work is frozen until they find out what government if any is going to pay them for there work.
    If work is done, people usually get paid. There are no special considerations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

KC161 wrote: »
    They are alive and well in Cork. Visit the "Gurranabraher says no" Facebook page. They were trying to get into 6 northside estates.

They tried to install a meter in a derelict house, that hadn't a roof and was collecting their own water ???

Things are bad when they want money from the dead... I presume the owner has died to leave the house in such condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Raptor wrote: »
    They tried to install a meter in a derelict house, that hadn't a roof and was collecting their own water ???

Things are bad when they want money from the dead... I presume the owner has died to leave the house in such condition.

And if they skipped a property that may be derelict but still has mains water attached , meaning when restoration work is done in the future , a meter crew has to come back and install a meter it would be seen as a typical
    Irish waste of money that could have been done in the first place with the rest in the area................

Anyway, meters arent installed "in houses" . They are on public land on the branch of the main. It makes no difference if theres a house or a field in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yes, being installed in Ranelagh last week.

• Advertisement

The Raptor wrote: »

I grew up a stones throw from that house. It is like that a good number of years now. It burned down if i remember correctly. Whether or not it is structurally sound to rebuild god only knows. The chimney collapsed as well. Any repair job would be steep. Apparently they get paid by the job to install meters. As was pointed out,a great waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

And if they skipped a property that may be derelict but still has mains water attached , meaning when restoration work is done in the future , a meter crew has to come back and install a meter it would be seen as a typical
    Irish waste of money that could have been done in the first place with the rest in the area................

Anyway, meters arent installed "in houses" . They are on public land on the branch of the main. It makes no difference if theres a house or a field in front of it.

Isn't it their job to install a meter when building a house? I don't see what the difference is in installing a meter if/when works are being done on such a house. But not before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They've not shown themselves on my estate since early last Autumn, still loads of houses to be done.

This is where opinions are conflicting. They say outside your gate is public property, yet if a matter which results in a potential civil action less than 6ft outside it is in your head. I've seen it here in Cork with a neighbour. Yet the stopcock is at most 2ft outside. Is it a case of whichever law suits them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Why did you post this when its clearly not true?

They say outside your gate is public property, yet if a matter which results in a potential civil action less than 6ft outside it is in your head.
    On what basis? Have you been reading too much by the Freemen of the Land?
    Apparently they get paid by the job to install meters.
    Just like anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/micheal-martin-tells-enda-kenny-axe-water-bills-or-face-a-second-election-34574023.html

So FF won't support FG in forming a government unless they suspend water charges. FG saying no way José.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/micheal-martin-tells-enda-kenny-axe-water-bills-or-face-a-second-election-34574023.html

So FF won't support FG in forming a government unless they suspend water charges. FG saying no way José.

Its a sad state of affairs if they feel that a temporary suspension of water charges is the most important issue facing the country.
    Senior sources in Fianna Fáil say the single biggest obstacle to a deal is
    the parties' stances on water charges.

I'd take that story with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd take most Indo political stories with that pinch of salt.
    But you can see if FF are in opposition, they will not give this hostage to those on their left in that opposition. We saw well how SF tried to use the issue already in the Dail.
    If I was in FG, the choice between being in Govt or facing a second election on this issue is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Phoebas wrote: »
    Its a sad state of affairs if they feel that a temporary suspension of water charges is the most important issue facing the country.

Sad for you.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    They haven't been around my area in over 6 months (N. Dublin). There's still tarmcadam around the ones they did install as a temporary fix.

There's about ⅓ of my estate done, (I don't have one). And I'm wondering if they've just laid off everyone or are there some iron clad contracts in place where we're still paying for a load of guys to do nothing (much like our politicians)

There are many highly populated areas of Dublin,that have no meters installed.

Both North and South.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Seems my house doesn't have a stopcock. Nobody's ever been able to locate one. So they skipped us.

Installation has been ongoing tho and our water was Coca-Cola coloured as a result on several occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We ran the bastards from my estate then put blockades to the estate entrance and an early warning system in place in case they showed up again.

We have one entrance for entry & exit into our estate, we're motivated and the whores will never plant a meter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

Victor wrote: »
    You're just here to score points, aren't you?

Otherwise, I'm not dignifying your paranoid delusions.

Not at all, We have a long & less than illustrious history of contracts having to be bought out at great expense.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that they've temporarily laid off installers while awaiting clarification while still being paid for the duration of the contract.

They were run from my estate after completing about ⅓ of them (over a very long time, they got maybe four or five a day done). I can't see them coming back. There's none at my house & if they do figure this thing out, I'm not paying without a meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

12Phase wrote: »
    Seems my house doesn't have a stopcock. Nobody's ever been able to locate one. So they skipped us.

Installation has been ongoing tho and our water was Coca-Cola coloured as a result on several occasions.

They have come here twice looking for stopcock and they were told exactly where it is (at the base of a hedge) and each time they have gone off and looked in the wrong place.

Part of our rural road has been done but none where the stopcock isn't in your face startlingly obvious. Neighbor got missed as he had his car left parked over the meter. So it looks to me like they are just cherry picking the easy work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There still being installed last week Sunday's well in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

my3cents wrote: »
    So it looks to me like they are just cherry picking the easy work to do.

I suppose it makes sense really. If they're being paid by the unit and there's uncertainty whether the contract will be scrapped before completion, leave the trickier (and more costly) ones till last.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

my3cents wrote: »
    They have come here twice looking for stopcock and they were told exactly where it is (at the base of a hedge) and each time they have gone off and looked in the wrong place.

Part of our rural road has been done but none where the stopcock isn't in your face startlingly obvious. Neighbor got missed as he had his car left parked over the meter. So it looks to me like they are just cherry picking the easy work to do.

Looks like they skipped houses on the same street around here as well for some reason.
    Reackon they have a percentage in each area to complete.They were working practically around every corner but completely disappeared overnight.

"Are water meters still being installed?

That question is more relevant now than a week or two ago.

The most logical course of action at this point,is not to install or replace any meters.

They are simply not fit for purpose,at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

gladrags wrote: »
    "Are water meters still being installed?

That question is more relevant now than a week or two ago.

The most logical course of action at this point,is not to install or replace any meters.

They are simply not fit for purpose,at this point.

The meters are useful irrespective of whether water charges are in place or not. They provide information on the amount of water usage on the private side thus helping to assist in leak identification on the public side

Advertisement