Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oakley and ray-ban sunglasses 2 for €230

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

2 euro in penny's lads, could have saved yourselves hundreds for same thing.

yeah 2 euro for a pair of ray-bans in Penny's ! how do they do it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

clevtrev wrote: »
    yeah 2 euro for a pair of ray-bans in Penny's ! how do they do it :P

They probably cost the same to manufacture as Ray Bans. All "luxury glasses" are manufactured by Luxottica who owns all the major sunglass brands and I mean all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

A one euro pair of plastic clear lab glasses have as much UV protection as the most expensive sun glasses.
    If it's uv protection your looking for save yourself and buy cheap glasses.
    The expensive ones absorb alot of visable light and all UV giving a clearer view.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

A one euro pair of plastic clear lab glasses have as much UV protection as the most expensive sun glasses.
    If it's uv protection your looking for save yourself and buy cheap glasses.
    The expensive ones absorb alot of visable light and all UV giving a clearer view.

is there any tech involved in sunglasses at all so?

jmorrisey wrote: »

Yip, in the advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

jmorrisey wrote: »

No, if it weren't for gullible, money to burn selfie takers, no one would buy them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is nothing separating cheap ones from good ones. However they look good, that is why they are popular. Sure you can get knockoff ray-bans for €10 on aliexpress and the life that look similar :D

So I ran some tests in the lab and can confirm that expensive ray bans, cheap knockoffs and a pair of clear plastic glasses all had the same UV protection, 100%

Ray bands left the least visable light through followed closely by the cheap knockoffs. The clear plastic left almost all through.

The profile of the visable light allowed through by the ray bans and knockoffs is different. I'm guessing the intensity of the wavelengths allowed through by the ray bans creates more texture and contrast than the cheap knockoffs. When wearing the ray bans I can see things much clearer and sharper.

My conclusion is that all sun glasses have 100% UV protection but some give a better view due to their filtering effects.

I'm guessing there's little difference between the most expensive pair of sunglasses and a quality unbranded pair that you can get for 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

So I ran some tests in the lab and can confirm that expensive ray bans, cheap knockoffs and a pair of clear plastic glasses all had the same UV protection, 100%

Ray bands left the least visable light through followed closely by the cheap knockoffs. The clear plastic left almost all through.

The profile of the visable light allowed through by the ray bans and knockoffs is different. I'm guessing the intensity of the wavelengths allowed through by the ray bans creates more texture and contrast than the cheap knockoffs. When wearing the ray bans I can see things much clearer and sharper.

My conclusion is that all sun glasses have 100% UV protection but some give a better view due to their filtering effects.

I'm guessing there's little difference between the most expensive pair of sunglasses and a quality unbranded pair that you can get for 20 euro.

Correct, very little difference indeed. My company tests sunglasses for international compliance, so I second the above. Labels and type of materials are what you're paying for essentially.

Edited to add it doesn't even need to be a 20 euro pair, 1 and 2 quid ones too.

For those that are not on an austerity roll and enjoy branded goods this deal is also available in House of Fraser and the Sunglass shop in Dundrum.

For those that want to buy their sunglasses in Pennys or advise about the stupidity of buying branded sunglasses they probably should head over to the Living Frugally topic and set up their own thread.

• Advertisement

For those that are not on an austerity roll and enjoy branded goods this deal is also available in House of Fraser and the Sunglass shop in Dundrum.

For those that want to buy their sunglasses in Pennys or advise about the stupidity of buying branded sunglasses they probably should head over to the Living Frugally topic and set up their own thread.

Anyone looking for a bargain is better served knowing that the most expensive pair available anywhere is no better than a pair next to the tills in boots.
    More information leads to more informed decisions on purchases :)

Anyone looking for a bargain is better served knowing that the most expensive pair available anywhere is no better than a pair next to the tills in boots.
    More information leads to more informed decisions on purchases :)

Well on that basis it probably doesn't make much sense to purchase watches from Rolex or perfume from Chanel or cars from porsche or computers from apple. Most people realise that they are paying a significant premium for brands but this has been the case for a very long time and I think most people are aware of this fact and dont need to be educated in such a manner on bargain alert

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Difference there is there isn't exact knockoffs with the same ability and components for a fraction of the price. The main difference in cheap sunglasses and expensive ones will be hinges, and if you want a particular pair you pay the premium as it can be hard to find a knockoff of some. That said I have no problem buying the real ones if they are nice.

Checked this offer out in Brown Thomas today, pretty crap selection on offer, better off using the site.

Well on that basis it probably doesn't make much sense to purchase watches from Rolex or perfume from Chanel or cars from porsche or computers from apple. Most people realise that they are paying a significant premium for brands but this has been the case for a very long time and I think most people are aware of this fact and dont need to be educated in such a manner on bargain alert

I don't think most people are aware that the protection offered by the cheapest pairs is as effective as the most expensive.
    Build quality is much better with branded ones however in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭s8n

There is no oakleys in the link anymore only RB's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

I bought a pair of Oakley about 18 years ago for 200 punts, they're worth probably about 400 euro today. So if you can guess the future classics you could make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

s8n wrote: »

That's because in the link only ray-bans are selected. Go to sunglasses section a select Oakleys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

s8n wrote: »

I was in BT Limerick today and they have removed Oakleys from the promo. The girl said they were "flying out the door".

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

Picked up my sunglasses yesterday bought carbon fiber aviator ray-bans and a pair of Oakley half jackets. Unbelievable difference between these and cheaper alternatives. Both pairs are polarised and when driving there is virtually no glare. I had numerous cheaper sunglasses and nothing even comes close to these.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's so predictable how some people will say that quality sunglasses are the same as cheap ones. I too have a pair of Oakleys that I bought 20 years ago & could sell for more than I paid for them.

I wear sunglasses a lot & there is a massive difference. My current Oakleys are 4 years old & totally unmarked even though they are worn almost every day especially driving. I use them as safety glasses too. Every part is replaceable.

The lens & frame choice is amazing. I used to prefer RayBan lenses until I discovered that Oakley do a similar & better lens. The Oakley website allows a huge amount of customisation. Choose what you want & then go to a recognised Oakley outlet on ebay. I paid €130 for my last pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

Discodog wrote: »
    I used to prefer RayBan lenses until I discovered that Oakley do a similar & better lens.

Both 'brands' are made in the same factory. Do they manufacture separate lenses for each brand

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Thanks op, picked up a pair for me and the other half on Friday in BT cork. Seeing as he has been looking for nice ray bans at a reasonable price a while he's delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

cletus wrote: »
    Both 'brands' are made in the same factory. Do they manufacture separate lenses for each brand

I think the story is that the frames may well be made similarity made but each brand has their own stamp on lens quality (particularly the glass lens).

There's no doubt in my mind that the quality of ray bans/Oakley is far better than cheap knock offs but it's not worth €200! That's purely down to marketing and the brand image.

I have had 4 pairs of 150-200 ray ban/oakleys over the years but my problem is I always sit on them/drop them, scratch the lens so nowadays i just go for standard wayfarer style cheapies.

The UV protection is same, the look is close enough, I just don't have the logo and the accompanying price tag and therefore don't care when I sit on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭jefferson73

Oakley Europe currently have a friends & family 30% off offer valid until 03/04/16.

Take 30% off eyewear, apparel and accessories.
    Redeem this one-time use code in-store and online:

cletus wrote: »

Yes & a quick look at the Oakley site will show that. Toyota & Lexus are the same manufacturer. Lots of companies run premium & budget lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wasn't aware that there was no special "tech" in sunglasses so was glad to read it, I had always presumed there was a difference. Your other examples do have definite differences, well I have no knowledge or interest in perfumes but the others do.

rubadub wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that there was no special "tech" in sunglasses so was glad to read it, I had always presumed there was a difference. Your other examples do have definite differences, well I have no knowledge or interest in perfumes but the others do.

The guys that set up Oakley would disagree. There is lots of "tech" that is unique to Oakley. You will often see that people buy several pairs but that must be because we are all fooled :)

Any time I see people on forums posting about oakleys tech it has always been oakley shills. Not saying you are one but it's generally accepted that brand means little but some quality and design. Main problem with oakley is they are ugly.

Any time I see people on forums posting about oakleys tech it has always been oakley shills. Not saying you are one but it's generally accepted that brand means little but some quality and design. Main problem with oakley is they are ugly.

Well I guess that proves that we place functionality first :)

Oakley are totally different to any other manufacturer. Have you looked on their website ? No one offers that range of frames & lenses. The website alone is amazing. You can see various views under different lighting & compare all the lenses. You get a detailed specification eg if you need colour neutrality like a pilot, light transmission, uv etc.

Oakley didn't originate as a designer brand. When i bought my first pair you could only get them in cycle or sports shops. They are totally different to a fashion company that decides to add sunglasses to their portfolio.

I have a pair of cycling style Oakley Radars. I wear them a lot by the sea walking my dogs as they shield my eyes from sand & salt spray. The proof of their quality is that the image remains crystal clear right to the edge & they don't get sand blasted.

The US military don't make them standard issue for fashion. They are optically perfect enough when firing a rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Discodog wrote: »
    The US military don't make them standard issue for fashion./QUOTE]

Never actually considered BT as a military shop..

Advertisement