Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increased Demand for Teachers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

How many hours a year does a teacher work?

Do you mean class contact time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I was working, I was in school 8.30am to 4.30pm with a forty minute lunch 'hour' four days a week and till 1.30pm on Wednesdays. I would often do an additional two or three hours in the evenings at home. I used to try keep weekends free, but it didn't always work out.

While in school, there was never really a 'free' class, unless I managed to leave the building I was always needed to do something - supervise a class while a colleague went to the toilet, deal with a sick child, unannounced parents, phone calls etc..

I don't know, what does that work out at hours-wise? About 43 to 48 a week? Some times of the year it would be much more, with optional extra revision or project classes. That's not counting extra curricular stuff I used to do before the stupid Croke Park hours came in, it's also not counting said stupid CP hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes and I would usually be free from about the third week of June*, then back in and out once the exam results were out, mid August.

I used to do some CPD in July, but I copped on a good while before I actually left teaching.

*There are lots of small things that mount up that can only be done when the children are not in class. I had to work around exam centres, but it was possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement