Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tractors with dirty wheels on roads.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Its totally impractical to expect a farmer who is spending his day driving in and out of a field going about is work in the limited time he has to keep stopping and hosing down the tractor it would take ages to do it. There may be no running water either and the risk of something like a powerhose being stolen if left in a field is extremely high.

Some people need to catch a hold of themselves, this is Ireland and agriculture is part of our country just because you sit in an office everyday doesn't give you some right to tell farmers to keep off the roads who are putting food on your table and trying to earn a lively hood for themselves. People who suggest things like tractors shouldn't be on the road at certain time or that they should have to clean the tractor after every time leaving a field which could be 10's of times per day haven't even got the slightest ounce of a clue about the practicalities and difficulties of farming.

I'm a farmer and the practicalities are you lput out warning signs to let motorists know about slippery conditions and heavy machinery crossing/turning while you are working. If conditions are very bad you need to make some effort during the day to clean the road and when you are finished a tanker of clean water will go most of the way to getting the road back to normal.

Wheel washes etc for a job that may only last a couple of hours are not remotely practical and the comparison doesn't with a site running for months doesn't stand up. I've seen plenty of wheel washes on sites over the years. Not too many of them worked a lot of the time.

Doctors differ and patients for as they say. In this area the council gangers/foremen would be in fairly lively to remind you of your obligations if conditions were bad. No one really expects a road sweeper standing by while the job is ongoing but everyone expects the road to be cleaned once the job is complete. Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Jawgap wrote: »
    I did mention it once to the local traffic sergeant (who comes along occasionally to the school parents' council meetings) - he promised to have a word with the farmer, but basically said it's a 'roads' rather than a 'traffic' issue.

"Roads" or "traffic" makes no odds, it's an offence and should be investigated as such by the Gardaí if a complaint is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its totally impractical to expect a farmer who is spending his day driving in and out of a field going about is work in the limited time he has to keep stopping and hosing down the tractor it would take ages to do it. There may be no running water either and the risk of something like a powerhose being stolen if left in a field is extremely high.

Some people need to catch a hold of themselves, this is Ireland and agriculture is part of our country just because you sit in an office everyday doesn't give you some right to tell farmers to keep off the roads who are putting food on your table and trying to earn a lively hood for themselves. People who suggest things like tractors shouldn't be on the road at certain time or that they should have to clean the tractor after every time leaving a field which could be 10's of times per day haven't even got the slightest ounce of a clue about the practicalities and difficulties of farming.

Its nothing to do with people who work in offices telling farmers what to do, it is in the Road Traffic Act that they are obliged not to create hazardous conditions on the roads. Motorbikers have lost their lives because of mud on the road so while some farmers may think it is harmless it clearly is not when the worst consequence is someone losing their life.

No-one is asking farmers to build wheel washes or have power washers at the ready. A simple yard brushing of the rear tyres of a tractor would get rid of the vast majority of the muck that ends up on their tyres. It is literally 90 seconds work. I don't think that is too much to ask, if I was a farmer I'd rather do that than have the death of someone innocent on my conscience due to not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

No one is suggesting they be pristine, just that the time is taken to knock the worst of the muck off, close valves on tanks properly etc.

And while yes, farmers put food on all our tables, are they also not supposed to be custodians of the environment.......and I didn't even mention the taxpayer funded subsidies and support they receive from all of us ;)

I'd agree with all said here except for the last bit.
    The reasoning behind subsidies is to allow farmers to provide cheap food to the masses, it was pioneered by the uk government after wwII to solve the problems surrounding rationing and food shortages and has been around ever since. Fresh produce is being sold at artificially low prices so if subsidies were gotten rid of it'd just result in food going up in price, something which would be disastrous given the current cost of living and the gap between the minimum wage and the "living wage" and also the struggles of those close to the poverty line. Subsidies are there for a reason, to think the government are just throwing out free money to farmers for no reason at all is extremely naive.

Relating to mucky tractor wheels I find driving at low speed with one pair of wheels very near the verge for the first couple of hundred yards after leaving a field to be a very effective method of limiting the amount of muck lost on the road, so much so that whats lost really causes no issues to other road users as whatever little falls off is out of the path of other road users tyres. It's the lads swinging out onto the road and flooring it driving sh1te up the height of the roof of the tractor that takes the p1ss really.
    Also those wheel washers on construction sites are usually ridiculously ineffective, at least most of the ones I've seen on Irish sites anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Clean their vehicles! I work for a construction company - we have to install wheel washes on large sites to clean muddy vehicles and on smaller sites we use smaller power washers to do the same. Same rules apply for farmers.

Yep they just don't follow them. Same for cow **** when they let their cows cross the roads and the state of the road outside farmers places all eaten away from the cow ****. They should be fined and charged for not cleaning up after themselves. It'll take a few legal cases where the crap they leave on the road causes accidents and they have to sell sizeable portions of their land to pay compo before they change their behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'd see it as a moderately serious safety issue (worries about damaged paint aside).

There's a farmer near us doesn't give a sh1t - or rather he does, but he gives all the sh1t to the road. He leaves the road in an awful mess around his yard (which drains on to the road) meaning in wet weather it's muddy and slippy and in icy weather there's usually a small strip of ice across the road.

It's bad enough in a car, but trying to get through his 'debris' on a motor bike or pedal bike is not easy - I always pity anyone swinging round the bend who doesn't know what a dirt bird he is.

Complain to the council and your told you live in an agricultural area :rolleyes:

The guards might be a better option. If there is a complaint they generally have to follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

irishgeo wrote: »
    The guards might be a better option. If there is a complaint they generally have to follow it up.

Grants for underpasses
    is what should be done

https://www.facebook.com/cumminsvoortman/posts/126683214171352

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/precast-walls-make-underpass-a-fast-job-162388

where possible of course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I often drive a tractor and there's nothing you can do with dirt on the wheels (esp this time of year with the land so wet and mucky) coming out of a field, you'd be all day cleaning the dirt off. What I try to do is drive with one wheel close/on the verge and the other in the centre bit (between where the car tyres do be). That way there should be less dirt being thrown up onto the sides of cars. Seeing dirt on the road is a pet hate of my own, especially after cleaning the car - I'd always go back with a shovel and brush and try to take most of it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No one is suggesting they be pristine, just that the time is taken to knock the worst of the muck off, close valves on tanks properly etc.

And while yes, farmers put food on all our tables, are they also not supposed to be custodians of the environment.......and I didn't even mention the taxpayer funded subsidies and support they receive from all of us ;)

Good job you didn't mention the taxpayer funded subsidies and supports, because you (plural) don't provide any.
    Funds for subsidies come from EU funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Good job you didn't mention the taxpayer funded subsidies and supports, because you (plural) don't provide any.
    Funds for subsidies come from EU funds.

Oh dear......

.......where does the EU get its money from?
    The EU Budget is funded by the member states of European Union and over 90% of the money is transferred back to them. The rest is used to cover the running costs of the EU institutions.

There are basically three sources of funding for the EU. The largest source of income is a contribution by each member state, which is based on each country’s GNI. For Ireland this contribution was about €978 Million in 2012. Secondly, the EU receives shares from each states value added tax (The Irish contribution being €191 Million in 2012). The third major component of income are traditional own resources, for example import duties on goods from outside the EU (Ireland: €204 Million in 2012). The member states are allowed to keep a part (25%) of the traditional own resources received to cover for administration costs. Additional money is received from fines on companies breaching European Competition Law, etc.

Ireland is a net recipient of European funds and this will remain the case throughout the current financial plan until 2020. In 2012 Ireland contributed €1.24 Billion to the EU Budget and €2.01 Billion of EU funds were spent on projects in Ireland.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

I agree with the OP. I would be better if tractor tires were roughly washed down before entering a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Living in a country area, I can appreciate both sides of the story.
    I do think that farmers should just do their civic duty and try to get the worst of the crap off the vehicles before moving onto the road. So what if it takes an extra 2 min each time coming out of a field. If there's regular traffic during a job then it would be acceptable to have correct signage up, and then clearing up the road at lunch and day's end. We have the right to bring the machinery onto the public road, and part of that is the responsibility to other road users to not create a danger.

It's not really about the unnecessary damage to a freshly cleaned car (though I do appreciate that this is a pain in the ass) but it's certainly about having roads that are safe to drive.

A few years back when the lighting rules were fully enforced on farming machinery, there was a similar outcry about how hard it would be on the farmers to comply. Nowadays, every farm machine that I see on the public road is properly lit up, and there have been far fewer crashes into the back of unlit farm machinery. It requires an attitude change on the part of the farmers, and that's no harm really.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think a penalty fee would quickly make sure farmers carried a broom/brush with them and would at least get the worst off before moving onto a public road.

That said, I'm not a farmer so can't judge how much work this would entail.

http://www.nfu-cymru.org.uk/news/latest-news/mud-on-roads-left-by-tractors-or-heavy-machinery/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭blackbox

blondchick wrote: »
    Would you like the tractors to stop and go through the wash on the way out of the fields? Oh I forgot there isn't one. One of those things. What do you expect them go do?

In other countries they have a hose at the gate and wash the wheels before going onto the public road.

Advertisement