Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To NCT and Tax or not before selling

Options
  • 16-03-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before.

Having an NCT seems to be the be all and end all for a lot of people when they're buying a car. How much do people think it actually adds to the value of your car when your putting it up for sale?

My car has no Tax and the NCT is also just out, I'm wondering is it really worth the hassle, cost and time of paying for a new tax disc, putting the car through the test and the possibility of having to retest after getting whatever bits & pieces need to be done for the retest......or just sell it with no tax or test for a lower price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

definitely NCT it.

As for tax, if its in a cheap enough band Id even throw 3 months on it. People like buying a 'ready to go' car. If its good to drive away and has tax / nct, you'll get a lot more people coming to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

Tax is out 2 months so it would be 3 months tax plus the arrears plus NCT fee plus retest fee plus the cost of any parts needed......probably looking at close to €500 there that's what has me wondering would it cancel out any extra money made on selling the car by getting it NCT'd

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just stick it in for the test. If it passes it'll be easier to shift and if it fails you can show to potential buyers.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just stick it in for the test. If it passes it'll be easier to shift and if it fails you can show to potential buyers.

As in show the potential buyer all it failed on is front suspension (it's an Alfa!)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Pretty much. Loads of ads say stuff like "only needs a few bits to fly through the test" but when you ask what they are they've no idea. If you have a fail sheet showing something relatively simple to fix it's less of an unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Definitely NCT it. Very few people barring some petrol heads will even consider a car without an NCT.

Don't bother with the tax if you're 2 months behind

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As in show the potential buyer all it failed on is front suspension (it's an Alfa!)

All the more reason to NCT it, at least the prospective buyer knows what he's getting, otherwise they will run a mile if they have any sense.

Whatever is actually wrong with it, a prospective buyer will assume it's in an even worse state and will offer you buttons. Any sales pitch you try will fall on deaf ears because uppermost in their minds will be the fact that you didn't risk putting it in for the test so there must be something seriously wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CarFan100

Is it not risky driving it with no tax and test to get it nct'd

Is it worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Having an NCT seems to be the be all and end all for a lot of people when they're buying a car. How much do people think it actually adds to the value of your car when your putting it up for sale?

My car has no Tax and the NCT is also just out, I'm wondering is it really worth the hassle, cost and time of paying for a new tax disc, putting the car through the test and the possibility of having to retest after getting whatever bits & pieces need to be done for the retest......or just sell it with no tax or test for a lower price?

I wouldn't buy one with out a NCT, it can fail for silly things that cost a fortune to fix

CarFan100 wrote: »
    Is it not risky driving it with no tax and test to get it nct'd

Is it worth it

It's legal to drive to the test centre with out an NCT. Tax is always a risk.

• Advertisement

Yes.

It's legal to drive to the test centre with out an NCT. Tax is always a risk.

Good to know
    How does insurance play out if there was an accident and car was defective, for arguments sake

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do get it NCT'd. There's a lot of cars for sale and if yours is without NCT people will probably not even bother to come view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nothing, you're selling a car that's roadworthy. I have to laugh at sellers that will sell a car without nct and charge €300 extra if you want them to nct it.

Good to know
    How does insurance play out if there was an accident and car was defective, for arguments sake

Same as if the car has an NCT and it's defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭tphase

Get an NCT pass but skip the tax.

I sold a car last year - advertised for 2 months without an NCT but got nothing but a handful of lowball offers. Put it through the NCT, re-advertised, sold it in 2 days for just below the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP you obviously know the car is defective otherwise you would test it before selling so are you prepared to list known faults in your ad?

I too wouldn't even ring about a car without test, it's s non starter for the vast majority of people so unless the car is something special or highly desirable then your not going to get much interest in it.

You'll save in the long run by testing it and st least having a fail sheet to show potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It's legal to drive to the test centre with out an NCT.
    No, it's not.
    Tax is always a risk.

Except in case when vehicle is declared off the road, then it can be legally driven to NCT centre for purpose of the test - and back home after the test.
    But this only applies if car is declared off the road.

Still it doesn't make legal to drive a car which is not NCTed, even if it's just to NCT centre for the test.

Same as if the car has an NCT and it's defective.

Well, not exactly same, as just pure fact that car has no NCT, might affect the insurance policy if in policy's terms and conditions is listed that car must have valid NCT. And vast majority of insurance policies issued nowadays, do have such stipulation.

Roadworthiness of car is different matter and might not be linked to NCT.

F.e. car might be perfectly roadworthy, but without NCT insurer might refues to pay out for damage to the car, based on fact that it didn't have valid NCT and it was stipulated in the policy that car must have valid NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Do you not just write 'It''ll flie throo,,,,,,,,' on the add?

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    No, it's not.

Except in case when vehicle is declared off the road, then it can be legally driven to NCT centre for purpose of the test - and back home after the test.
    But this only applies if car is declared off the road.

Still it doesn't make legal to drive a car which is not NCTed, even if it's just to NCT centre for the test.

So I missed a step. Declare car off the road then do NCT.

The last line contradicts the paragraph above it.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Please don't be one of those people that creates an advert with this in it:

"No NCT but will fly through the test"

I personally wouldn't touch a car without an NCT it's just not worth taking the risk that it fails over emissions.

No tyre kickers or test pilots! First to see will buy (Accompanied by crap photos taken as its getting dark)

So I missed a step. Declare car off the road then do NCT.

The last line contradicts the paragraph above it.

No it doesn't contradict paragraph above.
    Paragraph above relates to tax - not NCT.
    Have a look at my post again, as I split your quotation in two to differenciate between tax and nct.

In short - if car has no valid NCT, the only legal way to get it to test centre is to have it towed on a truck or trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

No NCT is a very tough sell. A fail sheet at the very least will make life easier for sure! Tax doesn't really add any value at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

NCT 100%. Wouldn't bother with the tax.

Some people see a 'fresh' nct as a sign that the car is 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No NCT means to me: "I don't have enough faith in this car to put it through... but I'd like you to buy it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Ive been to see a few cars where they had advertised it as "only needing a few bits to pass the NCT" or "no NCT but will pass no problem". The mindset being that the car will be cheaper to buy than one with an NCT. The "few bits" I can fix but ive stopped viewing these type of cars, because the few bits tend to add up to a car that is uneconomical to fix given the price the seller wants (the reason its for sale in the first place).

So when you offer them what the car is worth, the get offended (which is in my mind, what the car is worth in good nick, minus the cost of parts to fix, minus 10-15% for the hassle of doing the work, NCT'ing etc. The 10-15%??? damn right, else why not just buy the car in good nick in the first place).

Saying all that, the NCT is not the holy grail either. Ive seen some poor condition cars with valid NCT's. I see a lot of cars for sale also with maybe two or three months NCT left. These also tend to be (not always) cars that have issues, but the owner is getting rid before they need to NCT it themselves.

So, in my mind, if your happy to sell a car, and you want to get what the market value is in terms of cash, NCT it at a minimum. Its then up to the punter to use his/her eyes and determine if the car is good.

If you sell a car without an NCT "but it will fly through", don't be offended by a low ball offer. If you want more, NCT it. If not, let it go for the sort of cash that will attract a person handy with the spanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You will recoup the amount it costs you to nct it in the sale price, plus more.
    Without an nct you are just losing money.

You might know the car will only require a couple hundred of euro to pass, a perspective buyer will assume there is something major wrong, why else wouldn't the seller nct it themselves?

I notice a lot of cars for sale now with 3 months nct
    Are these mostly cars that have been put through the nct early and failed and is there any way of checking this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I notice a lot of cars for sale now with 3 months nct
    Are these mostly cars that have been put through the nct early and failed and is there any way of checking this?

I noticed when booking my last nct on their mobile site that you only have to enter in the cars reg, so to check, you could just log the reg in the ncts.ie site and it should say ifs it a periodic inspection, retest or voluntary test.

Advertisement