Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsistent Road signage in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

vicwatson wrote: »
    I notice they’ve changed where the stop lines are too, obviously for sight lines but now cars are stopped where pedestrians must walk
    They've also put a ped xing one car's length back to solve that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

lawred2 wrote: »
    All look pretty much the same to me :/

I don't see the problem, they're all legible and convey the information. When they're faded or damaged, replace them then.

My biggest bugbear was replacing hundreds of bilingual signs to Irish only in the Gaeltachts to satisfy a handful of language zealots.
    And yes as mentioned previously the condition some roads are getting into, almost came a cropper with a monster pothole yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I don't see the problem, they're all legible and convey the information. When they're faded or damaged, replace them then.

My biggest bugbear was replacing hundreds of bilingual signs to Irish only in the Gaeltachts to satisfy a handful of language zealots.
    And yes as mentioned previously the condition some roads are getting into, almost came a cropper with a monster pothole yesterday.

My point was, the companies that create signposts for the various councils around the country should adhere to the standards set out by the Department of Transport in their manuals, including types of arrows, fonts, colours, placement, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

chewed wrote: »
    My point was, the companies that create signposts for the various councils around the country should adhere to the standards set out by the Department of Transport in their manuals, including types of arrows, fonts, colours, placement, etc.

Should. But it's not a big deal really.

Surely once the meaning of the sign is clearly being communicated.. then that's sufficient I would have thought.

No harm being consistent all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

chewed wrote:

The current Traffic Signs Manual was published in 2010. Alot of the inconsistencies mentioned here would be in signage which predates the current manual.
    TII implement a strict adherence to the manual on all National Routes, however Local Authorities are notorious at ordering oddball signage which doesn't comply with the current manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

lawred2 wrote: »
    Should. But it's not a big deal really.

Surely once the meaning of the sign is clearly being communicated.. then that's sufficient I would have thought.

No harm being consistent all the same

No harm, but no point in wasting money until the signage is past its best or no longer fit for what it's supposed to do. I really don't give a rat's ass if the red border is 5mm thicker than the rest or it's slightly an incorrect shade of yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They've also put a ped xing one car's length back to solve that issue.

Like as if pedestrians will use that ! 9 out 10 times a car will be on that crossing too.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Like as if pedestrians will use that ! 9 out 10 times a car will be on that crossing too.

It would be far safer to walk behind a car at the stop line than to walk in front of a vehicle when the driver is looking for a gap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Nobody from Lahinch spells it with an 'e'.

Except this local of course....

https://goo.gl/maps/xEnpKXE3cdK2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Except this local of course....

https://goo.gl/maps/xEnpKXE3cdK2

Directy, unedited, from their website :)

The Lehinch Lodge is a beautiful family run 3 star guesthouse located in the heart of Lahinch, Co. Clare

• Advertisement
Advertisement