Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsistent Road signage in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

TheChizler wrote: »
    What do speed limit signs with grey instead of red signify? Temporary change of speed? They're on the approach to the Watergrasshill toll-booth for instance. https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.0293006,-8.3251015,3a,75y,168.95h,78.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5Hib61N9TJ6hYXiJHBKweQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Means nothing really, advisory maybe but even that is wrong, and advisory sign should be in black and white and always end in a 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

There's a grey one further back which is advising that in 500m it turns into a 50kph zone (here's the 200m warning on the other side). I can only assume that they made too many grey ones and thought "ah sure, twill be grand".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Here's another beauty. Spotted in Sutton Cross.

It's supposed to be "No Entry"! WTF?

432222.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The colours may be wrong, but the meaning is clear isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It's incompetence or total disregard. A failure by the dozy transition year student that made it, the quality checker and the installers. All paid for with public funds by the council.
    And a wiley solicitor might get a driving conviction quashed on the basis of an incorrect sign.

• Advertisement

It's incompetence or total disregard. A failure by the dozy transition year student that made it, the quality checker and the installers. All paid for with public funds by the council.
    And a wiley solicitor might get a driving conviction quashed on the basis of an incorrect sign.
    Plus the fact that they're so wrong that they show a total disregard of the rules for signage! The fact that they made it onto the poles says a lot about the whole team.

Plus the fact that they're so wrong that they show a total disregard of the rules for signage! The fact that they made it onto the poles says a lot about the whole team.

I emailed Fingal co co to ask who designed and approved them. Looking forward to their response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Of course the real inconsistency here is that the correct sign is the only 'restrictive' street sign along with STOP that is red with white, rather than black on white with red border. I understand why STOP is as it is but not No Entry which should use the same as No Turn Left/Right/U Turn to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Of course the real inconsistency here is that the correct sign is the only 'restrictive' street sign along with STOP that is red with white, rather than black on white with red border. I understand why STOP is as it is but not No Entry which should use the same as No Turn Left/Right/U Turn to my mind.

Stop sign should always be an octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

chewed wrote: »

I emailed Fingal co co to ask who designed and approved them. Looking forward to their response.

Slightly OT but have they knocked a shop / house there to make an exit from SuperValu? Strange move. Would have been worth 500k +

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3896865,-6.1078648,3a,49y,304.92h,90.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-eONrermlcRBzzhOL6UP9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

My point being if it's an exit the sign might have been erected by SV rather than FCC.

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »
    Slightly OT but have they knocked a shop / house there to make an exit from SuperValu? Strange move. Would have been worth 500k +

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3896865,-6.1078648,3a,49y,304.92h,90.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-eONrermlcRBzzhOL6UP9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

My point being if it's an exit the sign might have been erected by SV rather than FCC.
    Well SV ought to be ordered to put up the correct signs, because at that point it's traffic on the public highway that are reading (and acting upon them).
    It is a private road then there is no law stopping drivers who decide to ignore them to drive in that way.

432222.png

Eventually got a reply from Fingal county council on these signs...
    Apologies for the delay getting back to you. The signage in question is located on private lands owned by Supervalu and does not form part of the public realm. Consequently the Council does not have any control over the signage.

So, apparently you can put up any sign you like if it's on private lands!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But they are on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭JohnC.

But is the footpath public or SuperValu? It seems further in off the road than the public paths either side.

I've seen similar "customised" signs at service stations and industrial car parks, the only course of action is to point out to the owner of the shop that they look stupid!

Alternatively, get some red paint and white and make them right.

I've seen similar "customised" signs at service stations and industrial car parks, the only course of action is to point out to the owner of the shop that they look stupid!

Alternatively, get some red paint and white and make them right.

I've contacted SuperValu to enquire....I'll keep you posted. I'm not going to let this one go!

I've contacted SuperValu to enquire....I'll keep you posted. I'm not going to let this one go!

I eventually got a response from SuperValu
    Many thanks for your email.

Ref email addressing concerns by member of public ref road signs at Supervalu Sutton.

At the end of the project a site walk was conducted with the local Superintendent of An Garda Siochana and members of Fingal County Council. As part of this walk the signage in question was reviewed and deemed fit for purpose. As the signage is on Musgrave property is does not have to align with road safety standard signage and thus the sign is part of the Supervalu specification. As both parties deemed the signage fit for purpose no further action was deemed necessary.

We understand the concerns raised and upon review of the signage I have requested a Musgrave contractor to replace the signage in question with Road Safety Spec.

We hope to have the signage replaced in the coming days.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards.
    Sean Fleury
    Retail Project Manager
    Musgrave Store Development

So, the signage was reviewed and deemed fit for purpose? WTF? We really are a backward country with no consideration for rules and regulations.

I eventually got a response from SuperValu

So, the signage was reviewed and deemed fit for purpose? WTF? We really are a backward country with no consideration for rules and regulations.
    Ah Sure! they'll be grand. Obviously they decided to ignore the signs during the walk.

Good to see that they will replace them after complaints from the public.

432222.png

I was on Google Maps and noticed they finally changed these signs to the correct ones.

467582.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Banatamon

220px-Sinal_de_tr%C3%A1nsito_biling%C3%BCe_preto_de_Ennistymon.jpg
    corofin-my-part-of-county-clare.jpg
    149080_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.jpg

Its the spell check dept of Clare County Council I worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Banatamon wrote: »

Nothing to do with Clare CC, it's the difference between the NRA/TII name database and the actual local spelling. The older signs have the correct local spelling. Nobody from Lahinch spells it with an 'e'. Nobody from Ennistymon spells it with an 'i'. They've also put 2 'r's in signs for Corofin, which the locals aren't happy about either.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lehinch-ennistimon-and-corrofin-vote-on-misspelt-signs-1.2625638

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Banatamon wrote: »
    220px-Sinal_de_tr%C3%A1nsito_biling%C3%BCe_preto_de_Ennistymon.jpg
    corofin-my-part-of-county-clare.jpg
    149080_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.jpg

Actually Lehinch and Ennistimon are the correct official legal names, CCC got that correct. Lahinch and Ennistymon are only traditional non-legal names.

They were changed around 2011 when the OSI (as advised by the Placenames Commission - now the Placenames Branch under the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht) pointed out that the names previously used were not the correct legal names, rather local customary names, the legal names are legally required to be used on road signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Nothing to do with Clare CC, it's the difference between the NRA/TII name database and the actual local spelling. The older signs have the correct local spelling. Nobody from Lahinch spells it with an 'e'. Nobody from Ennistymon spells it with an 'i'. They've also put 2 'r's in signs for Corofin, which the locals aren't happy about either.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lehinch-ennistimon-and-corrofin-vote-on-misspelt-signs-1.2625638

It was actually thr OSI as advised by the Governments Placenames Commission that pointed out the signs were wrong and required the proper legal names to be used.

Indeed the older signs have the correct local spelling, but an incorrect legal spelling which is what is required.

Locals have been asking for a plebiscite to officially change the name to the traditional spelling for some years now, remember the "Dingle" or "An Daingean" name and street sign issue which successfully saw "Dingle/Daingean Uí Chúis" become the official legal name.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Make your mind up here

47504596_10158666248188636_5700284538031177728_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=94ad402dbb22131ad4e215571434c690&oe=5CAE444B

In fairness STOP is painted on the road here too but the two signs are in opposition

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Make your mind up here

47504596_10158666248188636_5700284538031177728_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=94ad402dbb22131ad4e215571434c690&oe=5CAE444B

In fairness STOP is painted on the road here too but the two signs are in opposition
    This at Manor West? There is a lane split where the yield sign is on the right, with traffic on the right using a roundabout and traffic on the left (turning left) avoiding the roundabout. The Yield is for traffic using the roundabout and the stop is for left turning traffic avoiding the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Unless its been changed since I last drove it, that lane has a stop and a yield. The other lane (for the roundabout) has two yields. Total 4 signs for the two lanes, 3 yields and a stop it doesn't add up.

you can see them all here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2633253,-9.6817106,3a,52.6y,305.12h,87.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssJb9dFGZD-r6DMZ43A1Irg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was driving back from the west on Saturday and ended up some back roads. I could not get over all of the inconsistencies in all of the road signs I encountered on my trip! This seems to be endemic across the country.

Are there not standard road sign templates that each of the councils should be using? In some cases it looks like it's just pure laziness or ineptness on the part of the council. It's as if they redesign each sign as required. E.g. Different fonts, spacing, different shades of yellow on warning signs, etc.

Also, is it a policy of all councils to have the signs placed incorrectly on the poles and at an angle? My biggest bugbear is when they erect a new sign and then leave the pole protruding at the top! Why do they do this?

Here's some examples that will look familiar

irish_signs.jpg

All look pretty much the same to me :/

lawred2 wrote:
    All look pretty much the same to me :/

You must work in the council!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I was on Google Maps and noticed they finally changed these signs to the correct ones.

467582.jpg

I notice they’ve changed where the stop lines are too, obviously for sight lines but now cars are stopped where pedestrians must walk

Advertisement