Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on passat cc?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Some serious thread hijack/derailment going on here. 1.8 tdi super car with Hollywood blockbuster beginning/end to its life. Das fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've never driven auto. But if you like to 'drive', I would always go for manual.

I hear this a lot from some people. You could also argue the same point for power steering, abs, or any driver aid these days if you want to be a purist. Manuals have their place but automatics hardly take from the driving experience imo.
    Put it this way:

You're in a line of traffic and need to overtake:

You could be in a Yaris and sit there happily or unhappily (depending on whether you've added 10 minutes onto your journey time).

You could be in a Passat.

If you're in a Passat, depending on the pace, you're going to need to drop back distance, drop back gears and then floor it.

If you're in an automatic, I can't see you being able to have the same control.

I'm sorry but that is simply not true with the majority of automatics these days.

Modern day automatics are very smart especially dual clutch ones. They have no problem shifting to the appropriate gear when they need to just as quickly if not quicker as engaging the clutch and shifting down in a manual.

I can not see the logic in going for an automatic Passat. If you buy a Passat, you're buying a car.
    An automatic Merc, fair enough; when you're retired. But a Passat is sort of for when you are a parent, need to keep safe, but also need to get to places on time. Automatic and Passat should not be in the same sentence.

An automatic Passat is now dangerous as well as slow? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

If you think that an automatic can know that you're planning on backing up and going into fourth or third gear in order to accelerate enough to overtake, then you're talking ****e. Automatics change gears due to speed. You can't 'drive' an automatic car.

If you think that an automatic can know that you're planning on backing up and going into fourth or third gear in order to accelerate enough to overtake, then you're talking ****e. Automatics change gears due to speed. You can't 'drive' an automatic car.

Go drive an automatic and report back to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

The DSGs of the world don't need to know what you're planning. Floor it and it downshifts in ms (that's milliseconds, as in thousands of a second). Try doing that in a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    An automatic Passat is now dangerous as well as slow? :confused:

And the automatic gearbox takes so much space you can't fit children inside anymore! That's a bummer... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I can not see the logic in going for an automatic Passat. If you buy a Passat, you're buying a car.
    An automatic Merc, fair enough; when you're retired. But a Passat is sort of for when you are a parent, need to keep safe, but also need to get to places on time. Automatic and Passat should not be in the same sentence.

With due respects, I don't think you understand the genius of the modern DSG transmission at all.

Have a look at this Youtube and even thought it's a Golf GTI, it will give you a good idea how the DSG performs.

I have an A4 with this sort of transmission and I can tell you it does everything better than a human can....at least better than me anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Mine was. Husband has just verified. 1.8TDI.

Vw NEVER made a 1.8TDI passat in 1999 ..........or ever.....but if your husband says so, tell him to go update the wiki page........and all other sources of information about that engine...in the world

. VW did a 1.8T Petrol and a 1.9 TDI (1896cc if i remember correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

God, i really should have read your other posts before replying to the one about the "unicorn 1.8TDI Passat"

Cheers for making me smile.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

I'm just after searching through my emails and found the title of my ad on Donedeal (ad removed) which reads "VW Passat 1.8T 99"
    It was petrol though.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

I am talking from experience and DSG is far superior than the manual. I had both and won't go back to manual a human can't change the gears as quick. Also from standing start the DSG beats manual everyday of the week fact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

zoom_cool wrote: »
    I am talking from experience and DSG is far superior than the manual. I had both and won't go back to manual a human can't change the gears as quick. Also from standing start the DSG beats manual everyday of the week fact

Agreed 100%. I had a Mk v GTI DSG, then changed for a 2008 Jetta manual. Big mistake and I regretted it the minute I went back to manual.

I have S-Tronic trans now and happy days again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

sorry to be a pain just wondering what ye guys think of this one? budget is 15k. thinking of the 170 bhp. not sure about the garage, anyone know?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-volkswagen-passat-cc-bmt-gt-170bhp/11659394

i drove this one today and loved it. obviously way over budget.
    http://www.derekconsidinecarsales.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1335950

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

I'm just after searching through my emails and found the title of my ad on Donedeal (ad removed) which reads "VW Passat 1.8T 99"
    It was petrol though.

Hopefully the hubby always makes the trip to refuel.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

If you think you can talk about modern autos without having driven one then you're the one talking ****e

Who buys a Passat to be a drivers car anyway :eek:

Advertisement