Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on passat cc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Asking price is average enough, it's not a UK import but the spec is pretty decent for an original Irish car.

I had one for 2 years, very nice good looking car based on the regular Passat. Decent fuel economy from them too and plenty of poke especially if you get it remapped. Watch out for the usual things with diesel cars at that age and mileage such as signs of vibration though the clutch which can mean the flywheel needs replacing. Air conditioning compressor can fail on them too so makes sure it's working properly. Same goes with the electronic parking brake.

Also beware that that is a 4 seater model where the rear seat only seats 2 adults. They introduced the 5 seater in mid 2011 though the middle rear seat is not really suitable for adults on long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Hi
    Also considering a CC but would prefer auto. Anything to watch out for on these and what jind of difference should I expect for auto over manual?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

what does gt offer over regular cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi
    Also considering a CC but would prefer auto. Anything to watch out for on these and what jind of difference should I expect for auto over manual?

Thanks

VWs come with two DSG boxes - DQ250 DSG6 - which is relatively ok, and DQ200 DSG7 - which is not... The first one will go only with 2.0TDi, don't bother with looking at anything with a different engine.

Economy will, despite official figures, be even better with an autobox.

zweton wrote: »
    what does gt offer over regular cc?

GT is a UK spec and is the top spec in the CC. Usually adds depending on the year - full leather sport seats, touchscreen stereo with sat nav, 18" alloy wheels and rear privacy glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭shannonman81

I bought 2009 passat cc about a month ago. So far I couldn't be happier with it. It's a gt. 140 bhp.
    I was lucky enough in that it has a full main dealer service history and was well looked after.
    It is an import so it doesn't have leather seats.

I was looking at a4's but was pushed towards the passat on the forums here and I'm so happy I was. I have 20 month old and it can be a tad awkward getting him into his seat but the privacy glass is great.

Basically I'd recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Passed by that CC today, out alongside the road, just admiring it. They are a reputable crowd, know a few that have bought off them and were happy. Used to have the SEAT dealership, but lost it a few years ago.

Passed by that CC today, out alongside the road, just admiring it. They are a reputable crowd, know a few that have bought off them and were happy. Used to have the SEAT dealership, but lost it a few years ago.

yeah i took a spin up yesterday to have a look at it, its a light blue/grey color but wouldnt be gone on the color myself. they have a black 13 reg one too but its out of my budget. i spoke with them and they said they could get me one if i was serious about buying, seemed very decent in fairness and left my details with them. 1 year warranty with it too which is better than the standard 3 month. I have been looking for a while now and they are definatly the best to deal with so far by a long shot. No crap talk. Hopefully hear back from them soon.

Not a negative fact but just something to be aware of, according to motortax.ie ownership changed on 20/12/15 and motorcheck stats it's also a UK import. I'd just query the seller on that considering they mention in the advert it has had one owner from new.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

There is a version of the Passat which suffers serious engine problems. I'm trying to think back, so maybe bought in 2014 and two years old? So probably a 2012 model. In any case, aunt has had one since I was a child. They upgrade every couple of years to a newer model. About a year an a half ago, their car just collapsed (on the way to the airport - completely irrelevant lol). Dealership quoted €5k (and they went to a few) for repair. So they bought an older model or something, which had a different engine. I'd google the type you're looking at.

Those were certain versions of the PD engines. The CC has the newer CR engines.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Those were certain versions of the PD engines. The CC has the newer CR engines.

Thanks. I had a passat myself years ago so really like them. But my aunt and uncle were seriously ****ed over by this one. I don't know what PD/CC/CR means lol. My aunt still stuck with the Passat. It's a lovely 'safe' car. Aunts husband is an ex guard, so safety would be a big thing for him.

PD diesel engines were 1.4 to 2.0 litre TDI sold between 2002 and 2009.
    CR diesel engines were 1.6 to 2.0 litre TDI sold since early 2008. The Passat CC was launched in late 2008 and got the 2.0 CR TDi engines only from launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

I had two CC a 2010 and now 2012 the last one I have has DSG gearbox and I won't go back to manual it's that good.

bazz26 wrote: »
    PD diesel engines were 1.4 to 2.0 litre TDI sold between 2002 and 2009.
    CR diesel engines were 1.6 to 2.0 litre TDI sold since early 2008. The Passat CC was launched in late 2008 and got the 2.0 CR TDi engines only from launch.

My passat was 1.8 diesel turbo. At its death, I sold it to Africans who were probably exporting it (or parts). They were delighted with it. They negotiated me down to a ridiculous price (250?) for a '99 Passat. The electrics had gone haywire. I suspect it may have been involved in a few future crimes in its afterlife lol. It was a very fast car. Perfect choice for a high speed chase. (Not saying Africans were involved in any crime ever - they seemed nice).

My passat was 1.8 diesel turbo. At its death, I sold it to Africans who were probably exporting it (or parts). They were delighted with it. They negotiated me down to a ridiculous price (250?) for a '99 Passat. The electrics had gone haywire. I suspect it may have been involved in a few future crimes in its afterlife lol. It was a very fast car. Perfect choice for a high speed chase. (Not saying Africans were involved in any crime ever - they seemed nice).

Get your story straight - there was never a 1.8 turbo diesel from VW.

There was a petrol 1.8 R4 20vT though... Not without its issues, but very nice engine overall, got to Ward's 10 Best Engines many times.

grogi wrote: »
    Get your story straight - there was never a 1.8 turbo diesel from VW.

There was a petrol 1.8 R4 20vT though... Not without its issues, but very nice engine overall, got to Ward's 10 Best Engines many times.

Mine was. Husband has just verified. 1.8TDI.

Funnily enough, the African buyers kept asking me whether it had been modified and whether it really was a TDI. It was though. All the papers etc.

As a complete aside, I always suspected that it was an ex-cop car. It had high milage, was in unbelievably good nick and meticulously serviced (until I got hold of it).

• Advertisement

manual or auto lads?

manual or auto lads?

Never again manual.

manual or auto lads?

I've never driven auto. But if you like to 'drive', I would always go for manual.

Put it this way:

You're in a line of traffic and need to overtake:

You could be in a Yaris and sit there happily or unhappily (depending on whether you've added 10 minutes onto your journey time).

You could be in a Passat.

If you're in a Passat, depending on the pace, you're going to need to drop back distance, drop back gears and then floor it.

If you're in an automatic, I can't see you being able to have the same control.

PS, I'm not a boy racer. I'm a very safe driver (10+ years clean driving license).

yeah, i guess i meant reliability between the auto and manual?
    i dont really care otherwise, known issues between the two is what i want to know? e.g the is lexus is250 auto v manual is night and day when reading reviews on both. want to make sure same is not for the passat cc ?

yeah, i guess i meant reliability between the auto and manual?
    i dont really care otherwise, known issues between the two is what i want to know? e.g the is lexus is250 auto v manual is night and day when reading reviews on both. want to make sure same is not for the passat cc ?

A common belief is that Auto is less reliable. Well, it is (of course) more complex.

If properly serviced, a traditional torque converter based auto will, unless the particular box is faulty by design, generate less cost than manual. There is no clutch, there is no DMF... In addition, the torque converter not only smooths the load on the engine and the gearbox, but the engine always works in optimal rev range, resulting in much less wear. One needs to make sure the oil is changed, usually every 60kkm. And the gearbox will outlive the rest of the car. Most RWD, such as Mercedes or BMW will come with those.

You can find hydraulic boxes in FWD as well, these days typically it will be an AWTF-80 derivative (all over the place: Fiat, GM, Ford, Volvo, PSA...) or DP0/AL4 (in slightly older PSA or Renault cars).

Dual clutch boxes (like DSG (VW), Powershift (Ford), EDC (Renault); Hyundai and Kia use DC boxes now too) are like two gearboxes with two clutches operated by the computer. When one gear is used, the second gear can be prepared on the other half-box and immediately activated by coupling/de-coupling of the clutches. They can be very fast and enjoyable, but some have reliability issues. The most (un)famous is the DQ200, aka DSG7 from VW. I've started to see some negative reports about 6DCT250, aka DPS6 - the smaller Powershift too. DSG6 (VW) and MPS6 (Ford) are very reliable.

Those unfortunately need to come with DMF too. The stress on it is smaller than with manual - as the gearbox does not allow to work in most undesirable conditions - but it is a possible point of failure when comparing with hydraulic boxes. Dual clutch will deliver better economy, as there are no loses on compressing the oil, but will be marginally less refined too.

CVTs are different beasts and loads of people don't like them, as they "make the car sluggish". The truth is that's only the impression and the numbers show otherwise. You'll find them for instance in Audis (Multitronics - not praised for the reliability), in all hybrid Toyotas (very reliable; not using the belt but planetary gearset) or hybrid Hondas. Honda Jazz has CVT, new X-Trail, Subarus, Mitsubishis and many others. I've just noticed - they are all from Japan ;)

I am skipping a robotised manuals here - like the MMT from Toyota, EGS6 and ETG6 (not EAT6, which uses torque converter design) from PSA, i-shift from Honda, Comfort-Matic from Fiat and a few more. Those are just a joke and don't deserve more words.

-- TLDR:

With VW CC avoid DSG7 and you'll be fine. That means buy DSG only with 2.0TDI or (some) 1.8TSI. I don't know if they even sold it with anything smaller.

If you're in an automatic, I can't see you being able to have the same control.

Speak from experience, not prejudice please.

I can not see the logic in going for an automatic Passat. If you buy a Passat, you're buying a car.
    An automatic Merc, fair enough; when you're retired. But a Passat is sort of for when you are a parent, need to keep safe, but also need to get to places on time. Automatic and Passat should not be in the same sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

I can not see the logic in going for an automatic Passat. If you buy a Passat, you're buying a car.
    An automatic Merc, fair enough; when you're retired. But a Passat is sort of for when you are a parent, need to keep safe, but also need to get to places on time. Automatic and Passat should not be in the same sentence.
    cPCxdfc.gif

Advertisement