Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stena to UK €1 book by 18th [Expired]

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I did it twice last year and nobody asked for a passport. Over in Holyhead I got the impression I could have strolled onto the ship without even my ticket being checked, it was very casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Would they not have let you into Wales without a passport ?

Back in the 90s I to use regularly get the boat over to hollyhead without any need for a passport.

I don't know. They asked and we had them so it wasn't an issue. She did ask for ID, not passports

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Dodge wrote: »
    I don't know. They asked and we had them so it wasn't an issue. She did ask for ID, not passports

Was that the police that asked you for a passport ?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

UK immigration police do random checks on flights and ferrys from ROI to the UK, mainly to catch non-EEA citizens without valid visas attempting to enter the UK illegally. Garda immigration do similar random checks in the opposite direction.

If you're an Irish or UK citizen, you're not legally required to produce ID but it can be a hassle if you don't have ID to produce.

I imagine, if the UK leaves the EEA, these checks will become a lot more frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yeah it was civilian immigration officers

I was just posting for info

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As things currently stand there is no need to provide a Passport when travelling from Ireland to Britain > by ferry, although Stena does recommend some form of ID (as it might be required at the ferry port).

Of course, if in the next few years the UK triggers article 50 to leave the EU, then we might even have to show our passports when travelling into any part of the UK (including Northern Ireland), but that would be the nightmare scenario. Currently, ferry trips between Ireland & Britain are passport free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This offer is back up, not at 1euro but 6.50 return on a Tuesday, 12euro rtn on a Sun, Mon, Wed & Thurs

http://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-britain/day-trips/dublin-holyhead-superferry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know it was about 35 years since I'd last done the Holyhead crossing, but I was very impressed by the Stena Adventurer - very clean, plenty of seating etc.. Not at all what I remember from the old crossings. Food quite pricey though, so bring your own.

spurious wrote: »
    I know it was about 35 years since I'd last done the Holyhead crossing, but I was very impressed by the Stena Adventurer - very clean, plenty of seating etc.. Not at all what I remember from the old crossings. Food quite pricey though, so bring your own.

Flask and a carrier bag full of ham samwitches, like when Cork come down to Croker :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

scudzilla wrote: »
    This offer is back up, not at 1euro but 6.50 return on a Tuesday, 12euro rtn on a Sun, Mon, Wed & Thurs

http://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-britain/day-trips/dublin-holyhead-superferry

Only applies to day trips. On the Dublin-Holyhead route for instance, you have to travel on the 8:20am sailing and return on the afternoon or evening sailings back to Dublin the same day. Also, you're not allowed to bring any luggage over with you.

Could be used as a cheap way of bringing extra passengers with a car if travelling on that morning sailing though.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Suggestion here for ya, i'm from North Wales so know the area like the back of my hand

Get off the ferry and get the train to Conwy, leaves Holyhead at 13:07 and gets into Conwy at 1415

Spend the afternoon in Conwy, visit the castle, go the the smallest house in Great Britain, have a fish and chip dinner on the harbour, then get the 18:25 train back from Conwy, getting into Holyhead at 19:15

Train fare is 15quid return and Conwy really is a beautiful little town, less than 20quid for a day out

Quackster wrote: »
    Only applies to day trips. On the Dublin-Holyhead route for instance, you have to travel on the 8:20am sailing and return on the afternoon or evening sailings back to Dublin the same day. Also, you're not allowed to bring any luggage over with you.

Could be used as a cheap way of bringing extra passengers with a car if travelling on that morning sailing though.

Or go on a nice day out

Advertisement