Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I like PWB, but I hope this is realistic and she's playing Indy's nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Pratt would just play his character from Jurassic Park which would be a disaster in my opinion.

It’s hard to think of someone who could do a good job.

brevity wrote: »
    I think Pratt would just play his character from Jurassic Park which would be a disaster in my opinion.

It’s hard to think of someone who could do a good job.

Are we talking a reboot, or a passing on of the torch whip to A.N. Other?

Agree about Pratt though. I like him (mostly for Parks & Rec), but he's limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Could they not ... find a new/unknown actor ... just like Harrison Ford was pretty much at the time he did Star Wars and later Raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

how can it be anything but garbage

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Be thankful it's not Howard the duck 5.

Indiana Jones and the Zimmerframe of Ward 5

Will still be better than Skull

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge joins the cast.

Oh dear me.

Is she being added to make Indy more woke and relatable to women like she did with the Bond script.

They should have stopped after the Last Crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The soundtrack will probably be the only good thing about this.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Oh dear me.

Is she being added to make Indy more woke and relatable to women like she did with the Bond script.

They should have stopped after the Last Crusade.

I stopped reading at "woke".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you've read the Bond script? Or seen the movie?
    Could they not ... find a new/unknown actor ... just like Harrison Ford was pretty much at the time he did Star Wars and later Raiders.

and a new idea, like Star Wars and Raiders were at the time.

loyatemu wrote: »
    you've read the Bond script? Or seen the movie?

and a new idea, like Star Wars and Raiders were at the time.

Star Wars was a new idea???

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The torch should have been passed to Kyle Chandler 20 years ago.

Funnily enough, I looked up his age yesterday to see if it could still be done... He's 55! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Would love if they managed to Rocky Balboa it. Seemed like that Franchise was getting worse and worse but the 2006 movie really managed to leave on a much better note then the previous few movies.

I didn’t really enjoy Crystal Skull, but I don’t mind them making a new Indy movie once it’s good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Drumpot wrote: »
    Would love if they managed to Rocky Balboa it. Seemed like that Franchise was getting worse and worse but the 2006 movie really managed to leave on a much better note then the previous few movies.

I didn’t really enjoy Crystal Skull, but I don’t mind them making a new Indy movie once it’s good.

Thing is though, what is the series really? It's one of those Boomer IPs whose creators made as a love letter to their childhood. I don't think you can properly make an Indy movie without having that sensibility towards the time it's tethered to. Otherwise it comes off as a hollow, pointless knock off like Stephen Sommers' The Mummy film; I liked that 1999 flick but it felt a little "off" all the same.

Of course. This is all about money. Disney now own all the IPs, and they wanna gouge the shít outta the demographics still fondly attached to those franchises while we have disposable income. Not even like the action adventure, globe-trotting film even exists anymore, not in the mould we're talking about. Mission Impossible is the exception that proves the rule really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

pixelburp wrote: »
    Thing is though, what is the series really? It's one of those Boomer IPs whose creators made as a love letter to their childhood. I don't think you can properly make an Indy movie without having that sensibility towards the time it's tethered to. Otherwise it comes off as a hollow, pointless knock off like Stephen Sommers' The Mummy film; I liked that 1999 flick but it felt a little "off" all the same.

Of course. This is all about money. Disney now own all the IPs, and they wanna gouge the shít outta the demographics still fondly attached to those franchises while we have disposable income. Not even like the action adventure, globe-trotting film even exists anymore, not in the mould we're talking about. Mission Impossible is the exception that proves the rule really.

I get the hate for Disney but it being “all about money” is not a factor if the movie is entertaining. I’d be interested to understand if some people allow this dislike of Disney and them churning out sequels of popular franchises (“‘movies nobody asked for), skewer their enjoyment of what we get (generally paint by numbers safe circa 6/10). I don’t care who makes a movie for whatever reason, once it’s entertaining. Possibly a low bar but I get no satisfaction in getting angry about movies that disappoint or I don’t want to see so I only focus on what I might like.

I’d be holding off my gunpowder until after the movie is released. Like I said, I really enjoyed Balboa, I’d be hoping maybe a new Indy can somewhat redeem the franchise. I’m not actually “looking forward to this movie” but I’m interested to see what they do. If they didn’t do another Indy with Ford , I’d be ok but since it’s being made, why not see what they do....

I see many people in these forums find it hard to discard poor or lessor movies in franchises. They allow one movie spoil others, maybe im lucky, I can still enjoy originals (aliens , Indy, predator etc) even if later movies are not as strong. I think aswell some people struggle to enjoy a later franchise movie if it doesn’t fit in with rigid expectations. Again, I’m lucky that I’m not as precious about the originals, I can enjoy a movie within a franchise for what it is, even if it does feel out of kilter with the main franchise.

For example I think solo is a really good space heist Movie. But as an origin story for Han Solo it doesn’t really feel right. So I enjoy it, with the kids , as a space heist movie.

If this Indy movie can somehow create the charm, heart and fun of original (something the newer SW trilogy failed miserably at doing), then I’m all for it, regardless of financial motive.

Or Fillion 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe Tom Holland after he practices the role in the Uncharted movie.

Too late for Sean Patrick Flannery to return to the role?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Star Wars was a new idea???
    Which movie released before 1977 do you think it resembles most?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

mikhail wrote: »

The Hidden Fortress apparently.

and the original Flash Gordon shorts

mikhail wrote: »

Hidden Fortress

py2006 wrote: »
    The Hidden Fortress apparently.

and the original Flash Gordon shorts

Wasn't Lucas not getting the rights to make Flash Gordon that set him on the path to make his own version that ended with him making... you guessed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Drumpot wrote: »

For example I think solo is a really good space heist Movie. But as an origin story for Han Solo it doesn’t really feel right. So I enjoy it, with the kids , as a space heist movie.

If this Indy movie can somehow create the charm, heart and fun of original (something the newer SW trilogy failed miserably at doing), then I’m all for it, regardless of financial motive.

Incidentally its the same writer for Solo and Indy 5, Jonathan Kasdan son of Lawrence Kasdan.

Jonathans resume is pretty poor to say the least, its fair to say the only reason he got the role is beacuse of who his Dad is.

Ford is just too old for the role, he is pushing 80, there is just too much suspension of belief .
    Disney arent the studio to make it work either, too much moviemaking by commitee.

Wasn't Lucas not getting the rights to make Flash Gordon that set him on the path to make his own version that ended with him making... you guessed it.

You just read the wikipedia article didn't you? :D

Harrison is old, yes. But looks VERY well and VERY fit for his age. Bit if hair dye or hide it under the fedora. Perhaps limit his stunts and I think he could pull it off.

It does sadden me that Spielberg pulled out of it.

You just read the wikipedia article didn't you? :D

No. But possibly previously.

It does sadden me that Spielberg pulled out of it.

Initially and briefly yes, but then remembered Spielberg hasn't been that type of director for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

I can't think of a better fit.

I always thought the idea of crystal skull was that Shia Le Beouf would take over afterwards.
    I'm not sure if his personal issues put a stop to that or if maybe it wasn't the plan at all.

• Advertisement

Initially and briefly yes, but then remembered Spielberg hasn't been that type of director for a long time.

Yea but one final foray with Ford and all that.

I sure hope they (Whoever is working on this) learns the lessons of the criticisms of the last installment. The son thing didn't work for me, the CGI really didn't work for me.

They need old school practical effects (prob not allowed these days as it would be considered cruel to bugs or snakes :rolleyes: etc).

Advertisement