Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I want Danny DeVito as Indiana Jones...

"Indy, how did you defeat that guy with the impressive swords skills?"
    ff1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Dades wrote: »
    I see you, George Lucas. :pac:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if when this comes out we see complaints about what a missed opportunity him not being there to offer some ideas was. Love him or hate him Lucas is still one of the best in Hollywood for worldbuilding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Raiders is an absolute stone cold classic. None of the sequels come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

trashcan wrote: »
    Raiders is an absolute stone cold classic. None of the sequels come close.

it goes on my list of movies I have seen several times and would have no problem watching again

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Love it. Fun fact, this scene was originally written as a big choreographed fight between Indie and the badguy. On the day they were shooting it HF had bad tummy trouble from the local cuisine and wasn't in the mood for leaping around the place doing stunts. He asked Spielberg 'look, why can't I just shoot the guy?'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The over reliance on CGI was definitely one of the big failing points of KOTCS.

I think part of the greatness of the Lucasfilms of that era (including Star Wars) was the fact that they went for outrageous physical stunts, but there was always going to be a limit to what they could achieve.

This maintained by default a basic sense of realism. If the script called for something that the SFX or stunt guys just couldn't get to work, then they'd rework it to go as far as they could.

CGI by comparison has no limits. Whatever is written in the script can go onto the screen. The audience implicitly knows that it's unrealistic. And CGI allows for big spectacles to be overused. The gigantic space battle used to be a showpiece in a movie. Now every space movie starts with an epic space battle and has 3 or 4 more thrown in before the end.

Here's something I thought I'd never say... rewatched Skull during Christmas, and I thought it aged well. In that I enjoyed it, whereas I hated it beyond belief when it first came out. However, that tool swinging through the trees is still epic proportions bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they'll probably try and de-age him like in The Irishman and make a **** up like that film

They should just recast and go back to the Nazi era

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Indiana Jones And The Development Cycle of Hell

(Aka Spielberg Out, Mangold Maybe In)

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/steven-spielberg-indiana-jones-5-james-mangold-harrison-ford-1203515698/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That'd feel like a fairly regressive move IMO for Mangold, who has created a tidy, respectable CV for himself. Logan is probably the highest high, with a solid list of Legitimately Decent films. And Kate & Leopold.

Maybe with Iger stepping down this will get lost in the transfer of power. One can hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

James Mangold reportedly in talks to take directing reigns from Spielberg.

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1232976165884829696?s=19

FunLover18 wrote: »
    James Mangold reportedly in talks to take directing reigns from Spielberg.

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1232976165884829696?s=19

That's a pity. It's George Lucas' sticky fingers that need to be kept away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

pixelburp wrote: »
    Logan is probably the highest high, with a solid list of Legitimately Decent films.

Would be wonderful if Mangold got control and killed Indy off as perfectly as he killed
    Professor X and Wolverine.

But forget it, Jake, it's Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Do we know why Spielberg is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

buried wrote: »
    No love for 'The Last Crusade' here either. Was gimmicky as feic. I knew I was going to have problems once I seen some young lad playing Indiana right from the get go. This forced cartoonish explaination of mannerisms of the character that the audience don't really need, "oooh look so thats where he got his scar" "ooooh look so that's where he learned to use the whip" all in the space of two minutes too. The whole story was just a way to shoe-horn in his father and the rest of the boys from Raiders. There is no darkness or sense of the occult that is heavily prevailant in the first two. The soundtrack is really really forgettable too, nothing I can remember standing out except the theme that was already taken from 'Raiders'. No real editing of the score tracks to the scenes on the screen which was masterfully done in the first two either. Its definitely the weakest of the three for me.

Agreed, never got the love for the last crusade.

I've no truck with temple of doom either however, Mrs Spielberg makes it unwatchable alone

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

I've just finished watching the initial trilogy and agree that The Last Crusade is fairly weak. Especially in the first hour.

There's plenty of exciting stunts and humour in the final hour but it definitley feels different to the others in tone. Too much levity.

El Duda wrote: »
    I've just finished watching the initial trilogy and agree that The Last Crusade is fairly weak. Especially in the first hour.

There's plenty of exciting stunts and humour in the final hour but it definitley feels different to the others in tone. Too much levity.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Agreed, never got the love for the last crusade.

I've no truck with temple of doom either however, Mrs Spielberg makes it unwatchable alone

While I agree Raiders is the most iconic, saying Last Crusade is weak is going to get you taken off my Christmas card list! Fair warning :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

py2006 wrote: »
    Do we know why Spielberg is out?

No, but I can't imagine it's anything more straightforward than an apathy to return to the well for a fifth time, especially as Crystal Skull was received so poorly, with the realities of Harrison Ford's age. Spielberg doesn't seem that invested in Blockbusters anymore, more content to direct output like Bridge of Spies or The Post.

Besides, blockbusters just don't look like Indiana Jones anymore, heck they don't even look like National Treasure. The recent Tomb Raider reboot was a pretty unashamed Indy clone (obviously), but felt so derivative I just don't think the appetite or zeitgeist is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pushed back to July 29th 2022 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

frash wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55270909

Can't see it working but hopefully I'm wrong - he'll be 78
    Releases in July 2022

How about Joaquin Phoenix as his enemy nemesis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Skerries wrote: »
    they'll probably try and de-age him like in The Irishman and make a **** up like that film

They should just recast and go back to the Nazi era

They should leave it alone, is what they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

No love for 'The Last Crusade' here either. Was gimmicky as feic. I knew I was going to have problems once I seen some young lad playing Indiana right from the get go. This forced cartoonish explaination of mannerisms of the character that the audience don't really need, "oooh look so thats where he got his scar" "ooooh look so that's where he learned to use the whip" all in the space of two minutes too. The whole story was just a way to shoe-horn in his father and the rest of the boys from Raiders. There is no darkness or sense of the occult that is heavily prevailant in the first two. The soundtrack is really really forgettable too, nothing I can remember standing out except the theme that was already taken from 'Raiders'. No real editing of the score tracks to the scenes on the screen which was masterfully done in the first two either. Its definitely the weakest of the three for me.

Ah ya miserable pip squeak!! It was enjoyable popcorn movie with good chemistry between Ford and Connery. Some gooood humour too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

py2006 wrote: »
    Ah ya miserable pip squeak!! It was enjoyable popcorn movie with good chemistry between Ford and Connery. Some gooood humour too

Ah yeah its alright like, its just that if it was on TV I wouldn't actually sit to watch it with a box of sweets like the other two. Yeah, there was good humour in it, but there was way way too much humour shoehorned into it just for the sake of it, up to the point very early on it became gimicky and very franchisey. It totally killed the sense of threat or any semblance of darkness that was in the other two. No balance to it.
    I was nearly expecting Indiana's auld wan to show up somewhere along the lines giving out to the whole lot of them.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 15,756 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah yeah its alright like, its just that if it was on TV I wouldn't actually sit to watch it with a box of sweets like the other two. Yeah, there was good humour in it, but there was way way too much humour shoehorned into it just for the sake of it, up to the point very early on it became gimicky and very franchisey. It totally killed the sense of threat or any semblance of darkness that was in the other two. No balance to it.
    I was nearly expecting Indiana's auld wan to show up somewhere along the lines giving out to the whole lot of them.

Oh come on, it's Indy, not fawkin Citizen Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Oh come on, it's Indy, not fawkin Citizen Kane.

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but the first two films are such proper 'stand alone' pieces of good work, good sequential, proper sequential editing 'popcorn' pieces of work, and they are really are. They may not be 'Citizen Kane' but 'Raiders of The Lost Ark' isn't far off from the forward pushing boundaries 'Citizen Kane' had to showcase either, 'ROTLA' is the first motion picture to edit the images on the screen to the sounds and the music emanating from the orchestral score made by John Williams, for example. 'Last Crusade' had literally none of that.
    Even 'Temple of Doom' had some of that brilliant stuff going on in the background too. It made it more than it was. The last crusade was lazy as f**k compared to them.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but the first two films are such proper 'stand alone' pieces of good work, good sequential, proper sequential editing 'popcorn' pieces of work, and they are really are. They may not be 'Citizen Kane' but 'Raiders of The Lost Ark' isn't far off from the forward pushing boundaries 'Citizen Kane' had to showcase either, 'ROTLA' is the first motion picture to edit the images on the screen to the sounds and the music emanating from the orchestral score made by John Williams, for example. 'Last Crusade' had literally none of that.
    Even 'Temple of Doom' had some of that brilliant stuff going on in the background too. It made it more than it was. The last crusade was lazy as f**k compared to them.

Agree strongly with this. For me, the whole series can be rated exponentially downwards in chronological order. The first two were a perfect blend of action, humour and darkness. 'Crusade' played too much for laughs between Connery and Junior and neglected largely the dramatic tension of the earlier instalments. The FX were lazy and and denouement too far fetched to be any way credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

James Mangold is a good pick to conclude the Indiana Jones series. His take on Logan shows how he can freshen things up. This movie is only being made to give a more fitting send off to the character, similar to Stallone going back to make Rocky Balboa after the awful Rocky V.

Crystal Skull isn’t as bad as some would make it out to be, but it’s the movie that never gets taken out of the boxset ahead of the other three. Spielberg made a mess of it by using so much CGI which looks worse as the years go by. The CGI free scenes are ok (motorcycle chase/graveyard chase)

Hopefully Mangold ditches the CGI and films in actual locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

John Williams is returning to score, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge joins the cast.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    John Williams is returning to score, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge joins the cast.

I'm still astounded this is still happening. Ford is just so old at this stage, it's farcical to think they can hide this. Especially in the modern era of action films being so much more kinetic than before.

Wish they'd just rip the band aid off and cast Chris Pratt. Don't want him myself, or anyone else in the role but I just have this inking the executives have Pratt lined up for the reboot. Better it be done now and let the series die then than watch Ford degrade himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It feels like a geezer teaser at this point.

Advertisement