Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards X-Division Championship Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Jay lethal I always really enjoyed his matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Jay Lethal because I enjoyed his black machismo gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Yep Lethal for me. Lowki had some amazing matches but Jay just pips it. The Black Machismo stuff was really enjoyable and he somehow made it unjobber-like legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jay administers the Lethal Injection and cruises into the final 4. Who will join him there? This one is the toughest yet...

Austin Aries

The Greatest Man That Ever Lived

534967_10150954028141026_1871016515_n-200x300.jpg

Vs

AJ Styles

The Phenomenal One

AJStyles1-2_original_crop_north.jpg?w=428&h=397&q=75

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ouch. Two deserving finalists here. Very hard to separate them but gonna go with Aries. Styles embodies TNA but as far as X Division goes I feel Aries had the better run with the belt. Really brought back a legitimacy to the title that hadn't been seen since, ironically Styles and Joe et al.

So Aries for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

This is a very hard choice for me. Both men did a lot for the division, but I think I have to go for Aries. He nearly defined the generation being the step towards holding the world title.

Ffs cruel draw.

Aj for me.
    even in the x-div where aries was excellent he still didnt produce what aj did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

As good as Aries was he was just Styles Version 2.0 when it came to defining the X division. Whereas Styles is the reason there is an X division. Yes he moved up to the world title but he defined what a great X div champ should be.

AJ Styles gets my vote

I'm gonna vote for A Double because I not only enjoyed his epic hybrid style in the ring (always reminded me off Guerrero and Malenko mixed in) but his character was fantastic. So over every time. He made you believe the Greatest Man That Ever Lived shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Austin Aries just scrapes it for me, for much the same reasons as Omackeral identified above me. I really enjoyed his character when watching TNA. I'm stoked to see him in WWE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Said it since the start, Aries deserves to win this whole thing. AJ may have made people notice the Divison, but Aries made that belt feel more important than any other champion before or after him

Congrats to Austin Aries, he books his place in the semi final, knocking out a strong contender in AJ Styles.

As per previous rounds ending, just gonna touch on the history of the physical belt itself. This is the 3rd stage of evolution for the X-Division Championship belt.

ll.jpg

What did you think of this strap? Why the colour change, was it to go with the Impact Wresting branding or was it to set it apart from other titles? Do you feel it represented the X division well? The X was still on it but was more subtle. Did it remind you of the WWF Intercontinental title from late 90's that Ken Shamrock held or is that just me?! All comments, observations and discussion welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Beautiful belt tbf. Might have been nicer if they kept the red but the blue in fairly decent. Not many blue belts I can think of.

Can't think of a champion that held it (my TNA fandom has been pushing Daisies for a few years now). It terms of prestige, the belt I'm wearing right now to keep up my pants could probably equal it.

Edit: just after seeing your comments about the last 90s IC title. It is very much like it alright.

Yeah it's funny cos the likes of Samoa Joe, Low Ki and Chris Sabin have held this version of it and yet I'd associate them more with the original NWA:TNA Giant X version, never mind the round slick edition. I felt like this kinda didn't fit them or their roots. It's conflicting, it's a nice enough design and looks well but it can't match the times where the x champ has been more prominent.

We've arrived at the final four. In an homage to the various multi-man matches that the x division has been home to, we'll employ those tactics here. So it's Ultimate X time...

latest?cb=20110404145203

All four wrestlers willbe in the match at the same time. Whichever two competitors have the most votes will progress to the final. So pick your top two from the following.

Austin Aries

Vs

Jay Lethal

Black Machismo

jaylethal02.png

Vs

Samoa Joe

The Samoan Submission Machine

SamoaJoe2screened.com_display_image_crop_north.jpg?w=266&h=177&q=75

Vs

Chris Sabin

The Motor City Machine Gun

sabin_newchamp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

AA and Joe for me. Really hard to choose any over each other, as all 4 deserve to win. Im simply an AA mark and Joe really elevated the division to new heights.

Nice idea and while I hate leaving two out,its Jay and Aries for me. Jay for this exact reason he was in some awesome 3way dance matches. Aries lit up the division.

Joe and sabin would both be credible finalists also though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

For me, I'm voting for Aries and Sabin. Aries worked very hard to raise the division up during his time as champ, and did a damn fine job of it I think. Sabin was one of the best of the division, record setting number of reigns and a lot of memorable stuff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Joe and Aries for me. My favorite X Division Champions - no real other reason.

A really good match underway here, the reasons are fantastic and everyone is getting their names involved. I'll keep this open til tonight. I'll also put my votes in here.

Chris Sabin- Won every version of the belt from the NWA:TNA days to Impact Wrestling. He was champion a whopping 8 times.

Austin Aries- The originator of Option C and the one it fit perfectly. Has left his imprint on the division and was the perfect fit.

Honourable mentions to Joe and Lethal though. Joe truly encompassed the whole "no limits" factor when it came to the X style and Jay is a fantastic in-ring talent and so charismatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Austin Aries and Jay Lethal get it for me. I just really like the overall package from both of them and Austin Aries is the guy I think of when I think of the title, for some reason.

Chris Sabin and Austin Aries get my vote. Sabin was the flag bearer and either champion or challenger for so long that its hard to think of the X div and not think of Chris Sabin. And he has had so many memorable moments in the X div he deserves to be in the final. Aries because as said above he did soo much to elevate the X Title during his time as champ. He evolved not only himself as champion but also the whole division changed for the better due to his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For me, I'm picking Sabin (I've stuck with him throughout). When I think of the X Division in the early days, he immediately comes to mind.

I'm torn then on choice 2. I love Jay Lethal, but he doesn't immediately come to mind for me as an X Division champ.

Admittedly, I hadn't seen a lot of Austin Aries as X Division champ, so solely by process of elimination, my Second choice is Joe

So Chris Sabin and Samoa Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I said it since the start, Aries deserves to win the whole thing, and I think out these other 3 should be the man he meets there. Joe helped establish the Divison and not just a cruiser weight leauge, and was involved in more memorable matches than Chris or Jay. Chris I associate more with the tag team belts, so Joe deserves to go through

Austin Aries 44.44%
    Chris Sabin 22.22%
    Samoa Joe 22.22%
    Jay Lethal 11.11%

It looks like it will be an interesting final match tomorrow with a photo finish. Check in with us when we look to crown our PW Boards X-Division Champion.

Until then, the final stage of our title belt evolution leads us to the current design. Here it is...

tumblr_nq0bmdFfIb1trdauao1_500.jpg

What do you make of this? It seems to be just a colour change from its predecessor. Why do you think they went this route? How does it rank among the other designs? Does it look like a D-Generation X custom belt to you perhaps?! Let us all know!

Awful design. The IC title rip off look is bad anyway but the DX green that was seemingly brought in to tie in with the GFW feud just makes it look even worse. To think that belt cost anywhere from $5,000 up to $20,000 to make is just insane.

Don't like this design. I wasn't hot on the blue one, and I think green suits it even less.

As you say Omak it may suit dx or maybe the hurricane but otherwise nope,just hideous.

Kankan14 wrote: »
    As you say Omak it may suit dx or maybe the hurricane but otherwise nope,just hideous.

I think you planted the idea in his head...

55cb914951207e1d5b94744e1859553d.jpg

• Advertisement

With a controversial finish to the semi final, we couldn't split 2 from 4 so, fittingly for the X Division, this match will be contested under Triple Threat Fatal 4-Way rules.* The competitor with the most amount of votes after 12 hours will be declared PW Boards X-Division Champion

Austin Aries

Vs

Samoa Joe

The Samoan Submission Machine

SamoaJoe2screened.com_display_image_crop_north.jpg?w=266&h=177&q=75

Vs

Chris Sabin

The Motor City Machine Gun

img_3593.jpg

Vs

Christopher Daniels

The Fallen Angel

daniels.jpg

*I mistakenly miscounted votes against Daniels in Round 1. A poster voted Low Ki in one message and Kaval in a seperate message. I counted both as votes when I shouldn't have. In the interest of fairness, Daniels gets a deserved second chance here.

Advertisement