Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi mi 5

Options
  • 07-03-2016 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Any idea when the Xiaomi mi 5 / 4s will be officially sold in europe? i want one but buying them off the chinese websites seems very risky and i really coudnt afford for it to be delayed/broken.

Alternatively any good 300 euro ish phone coming out in the next month or two?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Ciandoyle wrote: »
    Any idea when the Xiaomi mi 5 / 4s will be officially sold in europe?
    Never...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

There are rumours that it might be sold in other markets later on. It'll be released in India next.

When the initial specs were published by various tech websites, the specs contained global 4G bands. However subsequently these were denied by xiaomi.

Earlier it was reported that the Mi5 and Mi4 would be released first in Poland. However that rumor had since been squashed.

I personally believe (perhaps incorrectly) that a European version could be released later on - don't forget that xiaomi already have their official store in place.

For the price it's one amazing looking phone, so let's hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Have I something horribly wrong here but why can't we just buy off the xiaomi website, or from an authorised seller?

Am I missing a trick here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Yes you can buy it off other chinese websites, some may have a Europeanc warehouse to avoid having to pay customs.

Although that version of the phone won't have all the LTE 4G Bands we use here, so you might be stuck with 3G.

Also the phone itself might all be in Chinese and you'd have to find and flash an English ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ciandoyle

biebiebie wrote: »
    Yes you can buy it off other chinese websites, some may have a Europeanc warehouse to avoid having to pay customs.

Although that version of the phone won't have all the LTE 4G Bands we use here, so you might be stuck with 3G.

Also the phone itself might all be in Chinese and you'd have to find and flash an English ROM.

Plus the customer service of these websites is awful if you ever had a problem with the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ciandoyle wrote: »
    Any idea when the Xiaomi mi 5 / 4s will be officially sold in europe? i want one but buying them off the chinese websites seems very risky and i really coudnt afford for it to be delayed/broken.

Alternatively any good 300 euro ish phone coming out in the next month or two?

Officially? Never.

Semi officially? Soon... https://www.facebook.com/xiaomiforsale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Review on Gizchina for those interested:

http://www.gizchina.com/2016/03/14/xiaomi-mi5-review/

Serious phone. Spec is salivating.

Only issue for those of us looking for a device as 'off the shelf ready' as it can be from China, is that if you run through all the best suppliers out there for us (Honorbuy, banggood, aliexpress, igogo, etc) the Mi5 comes loaded with what will be a lucky dip of any one of many multiple after market roms / attempts at copying MIUI original that are out there, so no OTA updates, possibly patchy performance depending on how close the supplier you choose was able to mirror MIUI, some bloatware, and phone doesn't work on 4G anyway.

Serious phone though and would love to pull the trigger on it!

myshirt wrote: »
    Serious phone. Spec is salivating.

Only issue for those of us looking for a device as 'off the shelf ready' as it can be from China, is that the Mi5 for us in Europe comes loaded with a lucky dip of any one of what are many multiple after market roms / attempts at copying MIUI original, so no OTA updates, possibly patchy performance depending on how close they were able to mirror MIUI, some bloatware, and phone doesn't work on 4G anyway.

Serious phone though and would love to pull the trigger on it!

If Xiaomi releases a Global ROM for it - and there is global for Mi4i Mi3 Mi4 and a few other, so chances are high - it will come with Google Play and OTA updates.

Google Pllay is not open source. Can official rom include?

If so, didn't know that.

Also, can anyone direct me to how I flash official global rom version for prior models mentioned above as I am contemplating getting one of these, or even holding out for Mi5 global rom if you say is coming.

Cool. Cheers man.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    Google Pllay is not open source. Can official rom include?

Xiaomi, as a member of OHA, MUST ship with Google Play outside China.
    Also, can anyone direct me to how I flash official global rom version for prior models mentioned above as I am contemplating getting one of these, or even holding out for Mi5 global rom if you say is coming.

Go to http://en.miui.com/download.html and download what you need?

I'm not saying Mi5 Global is coming. The chances are big, they definitely will want to sell it officially in India, Philippines, Singapore etc.

Is there instructions on how to flash the global rom to the device?

I take your point, not confirmed for Mi5, but likely, so we'll keep the eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 WheelyFeely

I ordered an Mi 5 from Ebay for about €312 about 2 weeks ago. I got all the packages and bought a case with it as well for €15(including shipping). The downside is that they haven't added much other European countries as a locale which Ireland is not even listed.

The shipping came from Hong Kong and I've checked the seller's info and is seemed trust-worthy based on his continuous business and is actually well known.

I ordered an Mi 5 from Ebay for about €312 about 2 weeks ago. I got all the packages and bought a case with it as well for €15(including shipping). The downside is that they haven't added much other European countries as a locale which Ireland is not even listed.

The shipping came from Hong Kong and I've checked the seller's info and is seemed trust-worthy based on his continuous business and is actually well known.

Be careful with it... Mi5 was aready mentioned in one the Beatles songs: Let it be[nt].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2jav7UdQtE

grogi wrote: »
    Be careful with it... Mi5 was aready mentioned in one the Beatles songs: Let it be[nt].

I didn't even see the video until you showed me. Why you do this to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eddie1986

How are you getting on with the new phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

Any feedback so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

A lot of the Chinese sites seem to have this on sale for 11.11 (which looks like it is becoming their version of Black Friday).

Just don't buy from Gearbest

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Chad_Fantastics

A lot of the Chinese sites seem to have this on sale for 11.11 (which looks like it is becoming their version of Black Friday).

Yep, some pleasing price drops alright, I need to get through the shop sites but 245 from oppomart with 18 for delivery is the best I've seen from a decent seller that ships from a EU warehouse. That's the 32gb version of course.

Anybody else got a hot deal on it?

Yep, some pleasing price drops alright, I need to get through the shop sites but 245 from oppomart with 18 for delivery is the best I've seen from a decent seller that ships from a EU warehouse. That's the 32gb version of course.

Anybody else got a hot deal on it?

Would you get done for duty also?

• Advertisement

Why not buy from them?

Sono wrote: »
    Would you get done for duty also?

Shipping details says its a EU (no vat/tax) option. As always I'd be prepared for a additional cost, just in case.

Honorbuy has it at 263 and EU warehouse shipping is 36 yoyo's. I suspect there will be better prices than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Shipping details says its a EU (no vat/tax) option. As always I'd be prepared for a additional cost, just in case.

Honorbuy has it at 263 and EU warehouse shipping is 36 yoyo's. I suspect there will be better prices than that.

Which is better Honorbuy or Oppomart?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

delta214 wrote: »
    Which is better Honorbuy or Oppomart?

top one from aliexpress which is very reputable sells the 32 GB version from 264 -275 euro (depending on colour) including DHL shipping which with this seller means that you will not be caught by customs

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

What cover have ye with this phone. Would like one that's comfortable in the hand but there's so many choices it's hard to choose. Don't mind about the price.

Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

I bought this from Gearbest on the 12th.
    Shipped the 15th
    Arrived today.
    64Gb, and a case, for 300 Euro with delivery through DHL. Got hit for 23 quid (which I had budgeted for)

Got mine from Oppomart today, ordered the 16th, 243 for the 32Gb version and 18 for EU customs compliant delivery.

Have to say it's a gorgeous bit of kit, glass and metal body feels really premium, lovely size and screen/camera look incredible!

My One Plus 2 is looking pretty dumpy now :(

I may have to convince the missus that she should take it on and I'll keep the strange china phone...

Got mine from Oppomart today, ordered the 16th, 243 for the 32Gb version and 18 for EU customs compliant delivery.

Have to say it's a gorgeous bit of kit, glass and metal body feels really premium, lovely size and screen/camera look incredible!

My One Plus 2 is looking pretty dumpy now :(

I may have to convince the missus that she should take it on and I'll keep the strange china phone...

What's putting me off getting one is the Chinese rom that will be on it, is there the play store on it? Thanks

What's putting me off getting one is the Chinese rom that will be on it, is there the play store on it? Thanks

It did have the Play store on it, that said I'm not sure if it was the global rom or a vendor spin of it. I'll have a proper look tomorrow and I'll be flashing the rom and maybe a CM build to see what's the best choice. I'll post links of what I used.

MIUI is grand day to day from previous phones but I've ended up on CM in the end due to degrading performance as the Xaiomi builds were released.

• Advertisement

eddie1986 wrote: »
    How are you getting on with the new phone?
    Any feedback so far?

Sorry for the late reply. The Mi5 is working remarkably well like any other up to date smartphones. I got a new phone recently which is the XiaoMi 5S Plus as a gift from my pops. He said it was cheaper than my Mi5 and its specs are higher than the Mi5 along with its large screen size and phone memory as well.

Advertisement