Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

See you Jimmy! Aye you, ya bawbag!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 teddykrueger

Why are all the greatest rock bands Scottish?

Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Wet Wet Wet, Nazareth, Simple Minds, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers. . .

Why are they so far ahead of us with class bands when we ruled their asses for thousands of years? It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?

And f*cking Texas? I thought only David Brent liked them.

I think you're confused as to what rock music is.

Jesus, Texas were putrid.

But Simple Minds were outstanding. Not the stadium thumping post 85 political stuff, but the more synth and dance output prior to then. Theme for Great Cities is one of the greatest tracks ever...

https://vimeo.com/11682017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

All those bands are muck.

• Advertisement

Not rock, but then again Wet Wet Wet and Texas were barely music, but the finest artists from Scotland were in the world of electronic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Right, a brain dump in no particular order, chronological or otherwise:

Rory Gallagher
    The Pogues
    Van Morrison
    U2
    Thin Lizzy
    The Cranberries
    The Golden Horde
    Stiff Little Fingers
    My Bloody Valentine
    Horslips
    The Script
    The Boomtown Rats
    The Undertones
    The Blades
    Aslan
    Planxty/Moving Hearts
    Whipping Boy

And a sh1tload more.

galljga1 wrote: »
    The Golden Horde
    The Script
    Aslan

I was giving out about Wet Wet Wet and Texas, and you've just reminded me of how grim the music scene here could be too.

I was giving out about Wet Wet Wet and Texas, and you've just reminded me of how grim the music scene here could be too.

No taste man.
    Agreed about the wets.

On behalf of the Irish nation, I am claiming The Waterboys.

• Advertisement

galljga1 wrote: »
    No taste man.
    Agreed about the wets.

If I had to pick the worst, it would be Aslan. Solely on the basis that I only know a handful of songs by the other 2. But anyone who lived in Ireland in the late 80s or early 90s was left scarred by Aslan, the overhyped pomposity, Christy in his bare feet and his ability to talk for hours about himself, the utter dirge like Crazy World...it was awful.

If I had to pick the worst, it would be Aslan. Solely on the basis that I only know a handful of songs by the other 2. But anyone who lived in Ireland in the late 80s or early 90s was left scarred by Aslan, the overhyped pomposity, Christy in his bare feet and his ability to talk for hours about himself, the utter dirge like Crazy World...it was awful.

A great band, particularly live. Every album a cracker although their last would be my least favourite followed by their first. Crazy World: an all time classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Not rock, but then again Wet Wet Wet and Texas were barely music, but the finest artists from Scotland were in the world of electronic...

That's right!
    *A seagull passes overhead *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Mogwai, Franz Ferdinand, Teenage Fanclub, Jack Bruce, half of AC/DC, Biffy Clyro (if you're into them - I'm not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Rod steward

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Yeah Scotland has decent bands, but you are getting into the trap of thinking that Ireland is entirely about Boyzone and Westlife while forgetting about the joys of Eimear Quinn, Paul Harrington and Charlie McGettigan, and Niamh Kavanagh.....I'm sure there's someone I'm missing though....??

Rod steward

sorry

From The Faces to Blondes Have More Fun, yes. After that, it got a bit ropey, particularly the American Songbook noodling.

Yeah Scotland has decent bands, but you are getting into the trap of thinking that Ireland is entirely about Boyzone and Westlife while forgetting about the joys of Eimear Quinn, Paul Harrington and Charlie McGettigan, and Niamh Kavanagh.....I'm sure there's someone I'm missing though....??

You are.

And she's out there thinking "why me?"...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nazareth are the only good band on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

There's no comeback for Ireland after the Bay City Rollers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

Texas might not be cool but they have some very catchy pop songs. Halo, Summer Sun, Black Eyed Boy, I Don't Want A Lover and Inner Smile are great I think. Although the rest that I've heard are pretty bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

The Frames. Better than anything with a guitar that ever came out of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

50 replys in and no mention of prefab sprout

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why are all the greatest rock bands Scottish?

Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Wet Wet Wet, Nazareth, Simple Minds, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers. . .

Why are they so far ahead of us with class bands when we ruled their asses for thousands of years? It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?

Have you been drinking on a school night?
    Are you 60 ? :P

He's old, alone, with just his wee lucky for company, and not much to entertain himself with in the wilds of Donegal.
    They're popular, give them their dues!:pac:

I consider Texas to be a great rock band but I didn't include them in my OP because people think I'm weird for that opinion,:)

Texas are better than half your original list.

Wet Wet Wet ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The Humblebums (Gerry Rafferty and Billy Connolly) had some very nice tunes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I disagree.

When it comes to music we have Scotland well and truly trumped.

Food on the other hand, its easy to see who had the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

50 replys in and no mention of prefab sprout

i dont think they're scottish.

according to wiki newcastle based. deffo not scots. but anyway who gives a hoot

somefeen wrote: »
    I disagree.

When it comes to music we have Scotland well and truly trumped.

Food on the other hand, its easy to see who had the famine.
    I don't get why people say food is terrible in Ireland - there are countless great restaurants!
    emo72 wrote: »
    Aye, they're English, from the very far north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

theres my new thing learnt for today

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »

according to wiki newcastle based. deffo not scots. but anyway who gives a hoot
    They seem Scottish too - they remind me of The Blue Nile, or a much better Deacon Blue. Plus their singer has a very Scottish sounding name.

Either way, Prefab Sprout are fecking brilliant.

Advertisement