Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The G.A.A. - A Good or Bad thing?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

timthumbni wrote: »
    The GAA is extremely well organised as a sporting organisation. It's a pity it can't sort out certain rogue clubs within Northern Ireland from their political leanings. Is that because they have leanings??? Possibly..
    Name these clubs. Or retract your lie.
    Football in NI has plenty of sectarianism as well. The difference is that there are loads of mixed clubs, probably the norm and even the footie clubs that are composed of one supposed side of the divide or other still play against other teams in their leagues etc.
    Sectarianism is alive and well in NI soccer and is never far from bubbling on the surface. Other than for the purposes of elite schoolboy level there are very few mixed clubs.
    This is not the case within the GAA in Northern Ireland. There are in effect very few to no one from the broad unionist community playing Gaelic games (aside from some token exercise for pr) and considering the size of it there is no use saying "oh I know a couple of Protestants who play and no one cares"
    Oh really...yet you go on to say:
    Friend of mine recently said his son went to a GAA club for training to help his football. (With a GAA mate) He liked the training. But the kid didn't like the digs about black bastard or saying how he must love oranges from a few of the twats at it. He obviously stopped going. There is little to no chance of many ones from a unionist perspective ever playing GAA games (in Northern Ireland)
    If a crowd of UDA men from south Belfast can go to Croke Park for a match then I'm sure plenty of people from a Unionist background can partake in gaelic games. I'd love nothing more. Unfortunately it is ingrained within the Unionist psyche that the GAA is a cold house. Nothing could be further than the truth.
    I have yet to see anything from the GAA to suggest they are in the slightest bit interested in addressing this. (Other than window dressing)
    Really. While I admit there is more that could/should be done to make GAA more appealing, the Ulster Council is proactively reaching out to those from Unionist communities and is investing time, effort and resources into doing so. Now you and I both know there are limits as to how this outreach can take place; so it is mostly confined to schools. To dismiss it though as merely window dressing is simply being disingenuous. I would actually like to hear what YOU think the GAA should be doing.

More public money was used in the building of the AVIVA despite it not being suitable to play Gaelic Games in.

The stadium in Cork is being built as part of the Rugby World Cup bid and loads of GAA stadiums are being made available for that event.

Does...Rule 42 not prohibit that idea?

I thought the only relaxation was in relation to Croke Park.

As for Ulster, as mentioned by others, they wee traditionally the most opposed to relaxing the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Does...Rule 42 not prohibit that idea?

I thought the only relaxation was in relation to Croke Park.

As for Ulster, as mentioned by others, they wee traditionally the most opposed to relaxing the rule.

At the moment it still exists but I would imagine as soon as things become more official about the bid I the rule will be relaxed for this special circumstance, just like it did with Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

More public money was used in the building of the AVIVA despite it not being suitable to play Gaelic Games in.

The stadium in Cork is being built as part of the Rugby World Cup bid and loads of GAA stadiums are being made available for that event.

You mean like Casement Park? A stadium that was refused funding for the very reasons I stated. Namely it was questionable if it would be used to its potential. Similar questions have been raised around the redevelopment of Pairc ui Caoimh and it has even been suggested projected usage figure were exaggerated/falsified.
    As a result of that kind of messing around the world Cup bid is hanging by a thread.

You mean like Casement Park? A stadium that was refused funding for the very reasons I stated. Namely it was questionable if it would be used to its potential. Similar questions have been raised around the redevelopment of Pairc ui Caoimh and it has even been suggested projected usage figure were exaggerated/falsified.

Yeah it's a complete waste of money by the government, but it's all for the Rugby World Cup bid.

None of these stadia will be used enough as there aren't enough GAA matches played and the countries population isn't big enough.The government would have know that already don't see how they couldn't have.

There are already way too many large GAA stadiums in the country.

It's not up to the GAA to tell the government how to spend their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Yeah it's a complete waste of money by the government, but it's all for the Rugby World Cup bid.

None of these stadia will be used enough as there aren't enough GAA matches played and the countries population isn't big enough.The government would have know that already don't see how they couldn't have.

There are already way too many large GAA stadiums in the country.

It's not up to the GAA to tell the government how to spend their money.
    Its certainly not the GAAs job to turn down money but it is their duty to be truthful when applying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't think Casement was refused funding, Ravenhill, Windsor and it were all to get money. The problem was planning and objections AFAIK.

I'd agree Munster has far to many high capacity stadia, arguably Connacht as well. Pairc Ui Chaoimh is a bit of a death trap from what I hear.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't think Casement was refused funding, Ravenhill, Windsor and it were all to get money. The problem was planning and objections AFAIK.

I'd agree Munster has far to many high capacity stadia, arguably Connacht as well. Pairc Ui Chaoimh is a bit of a death trap from what I hear.
    Yes the proposed stadium rebuild at Casement is on hold due to planning objections and rightly so. A badly handled affair however there are more stakeholders at play here apart from the GAA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

My idea of Hell is being trapped in a room where GAA matches are being played 24 hours on TV, with radio commentary going on simultaneously. And where the only people in the room are GAA heads, talking about GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Full of tiny minds from tiny villages.

Was on the receiving end of an 'in or out' ultimatum from new management in my local GAA club because I played for soccer club aswell.

Hurling is awesome. The GAA and it zealot members...not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

the gaa is a ball of shi.te,they are only for themselves and everyone associated with it i feel sorry for them,it is about time it was disbanded,pathetic malingerers....a complete waste of time they dont care about results or organisation they only care about money.useless coc,ksuckers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

KingMonkey wrote:
    ....a complete waste of time they dont care about results or organisation they only care about money.useless coc,ksuckers

As opposed to other sporting organisations who have no care for money at all.

You can see their annual accounts on-line to see where all the money goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

As opposed to other sporting organisations who have no care for money at all.

You can see their annual accounts on-line to see where all the money goes.

obviously u are another pro gaa plant involved in this hoodoo

tbh its quite pathetic,a disgrace if u will

yay another replay,more money for the grab all association

i cannot think of the last time they did anything good for anyone

a shower of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

KingMonkey wrote: »
    they are only for themselves and everyone associated with it

They're hardly going to be in it for Indian cricketers or South American pan pipe players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

the gaa is a ball of shi.te,they are only for themselves and everyone associated with it i feel sorry for them,it is about time it was disbanded,pathetic malingerers....a complete waste of time they dont care about results or organisation they only care about money.useless coc,ksuckers

You need to get out a bit more bud...;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Dumb Facebook Posts Thread
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

obviously u are another pro gaa plant involved in this hoodoo

tbh its quite pathetic,a disgrace if u will

yay another replay,more money for the grab all association

i cannot think of the last time they did anything good for anyone

a shower of ****
    If you train really hard you might make the Under 14s next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Great if you play......disadvantaging if you're not.

I've seen brothers, nephews etc excel in life due to playing, having support from community etc. I've never had an interest and I've gotten "I didn't know you existed" on numerous occasions despite being involved with other things in community. I've also seen gaa players get further ahead in career purely down to profile than work ethic or skill.

I guess if you're good at it and are involved it's great but if not it can mean less opportunities opened, in my experience

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

caille wrote: »
    My idea of Hell is being trapped in a room where GAA matches are being played 24 hours on TV, with radio commentary going on simultaneously. And where the only people in the room are GAA heads, talking about GAA.

You could replace GAA with pretty anything there and I'm sure most people would agree. But thanks for sharing.

368100 wrote: »
    Great if you play......disadvantaging if you're not.

I've seen brothers, nephews etc excel in life due to playing, having support from community etc. I've never had an interest and I've gotten "I didn't know you existed" on numerous occasions despite being involved with other things in community. I've also seen gaa players get further ahead in career purely down to profile than work ethic or skill.

I guess if you're good at it and are involved it's great but if not it can mean less opportunities opened, in my experience

Very well put, I grew up in the country and never had an interest and I felt excluded and really isolated as a result. I come from a strong GAA family and they were completely accepted by the community but I was almost an afterthought, just because I didn't go to matches or want to go.

And what I detested most of all (and still do) is the way the GAA look after their own, with jobs, other supports etc. Absolutely disgusting, its just a me fein organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

And what I detested most of all (and still do) is the way the GAA look after their own, with jobs, other supports etc. Absolutely disgusting, its just a me fein organisation.

Well... maybe you describe how the FAI or IRFU (or any other sporting body of note in the country) look after non-members/fans/players? I mean compare like with like, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Well... maybe you describe how the FAI or IRFU (or any other sporting body of note in the country) look after non-members/fans/players? I mean compare like with like, right?

I'm sure that happens too.

What I disagree with is how participating in an unrelated discipline can advantage someone in their career over someone who has put more commitment and and higher level of skill into the same job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

368100 wrote: »
    I'm sure that happens too.

What I disagree with is how participating in an unrelated discipline can advantage someone in their career over someone who has put more commitment and and higher level of skill into the same job
    Exactly not what the way they should be probably doing stuff when we could be having a possible thing.

****ing disgusting is right. How dare their members engage in networking! I especially hate the way they have the audacity to rally around members with depression, addiction, ill-health etc. Would you like some salt and vinegar for that chip on your shoulder?

armaghlad wrote: »
    ****ing disgusting is right. How dare their members engage in networking! I especially hate the way they have the audacity to rally around members with depression, addiction, ill-health etc. Would you like some salt and vinegar for that chip on your shoulder?

No thanks, don't actually have chips on me right now, I stand by what I said and from my own long experience. So there :-)

No thanks, don't actually have chips on me right now, I stand by what I said and from my own long experience. So there :-)
    Well up yours :p

armaghlad wrote: »
    Well up yours :p

Right back at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I can't stand that King of the GAA fella, Mehall o Murrayhurtig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

There are so many that make good money from the GAA, journos, tv commentators, celebrities etc while the those doing the hard work i.e the players do it all for free.
    Its time for the GAA to pony up...same as the IRFU and FAI

• Advertisement

signostic wrote: »
    There are so many that make good money from the GAA, journos, tv commentators, celebrities etc while the those doing the hard work i.e the players do it all for free.
    Its time for the GAA to pony up...same as the IRFU and FAI

There isn't enough money currently to pay the players and the players know that as well.

Advertisement