Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The G.A.A. - A Good or Bad thing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

Find it hilarious how so many people are saying "Its a cultchie sport"..

Why is it that nobody wants to acknowledge when Dublin are probably one of the best (if not the best right now) Senior Gaelic Football team or the fact we are All Ireland champions..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Find it hilarious how so many people are saying "Its a cultchie sport"..

Why is it that nobody wants to acknowledge when Dublin are probably one of the best (if not the best right now) Senior Gaelic Football team or the fact we are All Ireland champions..
    To be fair, Dublin has a quarter of the country's population and get to play all their matches at home.

There would be something seriously wrong if they weren't winning All-Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Torricelli wrote: »
    To be fair, Dublin has a quarter of the country's population and get to play all their matches at home.

They've only won 3 in the last 30 years. It's not all down to population, resources etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

Torricelli wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't realise that fan support affected your ability to play the sport..

We had a few away games in the league this year and had equal support in other countys if not more, so you can't play that card unfortunately ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I have very little doubt that the Irish suicide rate for young men would be considerably higher only for the GAA. Participation in team sports is good for physical and mental health.

I have no affiliation with the GAA at any level for what it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

The GAA is extremely well organised as a sporting organisation. It's a pity it can't sort out certain rogue clubs within Northern Ireland from their political leanings. Is that because they have leanings??? Possibly..

Football in NI has plenty of sectarianism as well. The difference is that there are loads of mixed clubs, probably the norm and even the footie clubs that are composed of one supposed side of the divide or other still play against other teams in their leagues etc.

This is not the case within the GAA in Northern Ireland. There are in effect very few to no one from the broad unionist community playing Gaelic games (aside from some token exercise for pr) and considering the size of it there is no use saying "oh I know a couple of Protestants who play and no one cares"

Friend of mine recently said his son went to a GAA club for training to help his football. (With a GAA mate) He liked the training. But the kid didn't like the digs about black bastard or saying how he must love oranges from a few of the twats at it. He obviously stopped going. There is little to no chance of many ones from a unionist perspective ever playing GAA games (in Northern Ireland)

I have yet to see anything from the GAA to suggest they are in the slightest bit interested in addressing this. (Other than window dressing)

timthumbni wrote: »
    In Northern Ireland the GAA has a long way to go to shed its political baggage from the recent past.

The recent guard of honour by bellaghy Wolfe tones gac seen walking a few yards from an INLA guard of honour at the funeral of mad dog mcglinceys son isn't perhaps the sort of outreach to unionists the GAA should be trying.

The norn iron team's support base is primarily of the 'no taigs here' type. The vast majority of nationalist football/soccer fans in the north support the ROI team.

The GAA had members abducted and murdered by so-called 'loyalists' who did very little without the knowledge of RUC special branch. GAA players were shot in the back by British Army murderers who got off scot-free too.

Maybe you should make sure your own underpants are clean before pointing at the laundry of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Iang87 wrote: »
    enjoyable sports. Repulsive organisation

Very hard to argue with that but the same could be said about any sporting body

The norn iron team's support base is primarily of the 'no taigs here' type. The vast majority of nationalist football/soccer fans in the north support the ROI team.

The GAA had members abducted and murdered by so-called 'loyalists' who did very little without the knowledge of RUC special branch. GAA players were shot in the back by British Army murderers who got off scot-free too.

Maybe you should make sure your own underpants are clean before pointing at the laundry of others.

Well this is a thread about the GAA young Tom. You are probably just proving my point certainly within Northern Ireland the GAA has a long way to go. It is just a sporting organisation is it not Tom???.....

I wonder if the NI team ever provided a guard of honour beside the uvf or any other terrorist organisation. Probably not but then it's a "mixed" team.

I wonder if the bellaghy Wolfe tones honour guard were mixed?? As they walked in front of the INLA guard in their wee frank Spencer berets???? (The inla with the berets btw)

Their is no comparison. Football in NI is played by all sides in great numbers. GAA games are played by one community aside from... Well aside from nothing. That's a sad state of affairs or are you happy enough from a safe distance to allow things to just stay the way they are.

• Advertisement

certainly within Northern Ireland the GAA has a long way to go.

The GAA doesn't exclude you or even people from organisations that murdered its members from joining.

We can't say the same for the Orange Order and 'loyalist' drum-bangers, the former being deeply sectarian by definition and the latter who celebrates centuries old sectarian battles.

As I've said, make sure your own knickers are clean before inspecting the laundry of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Prominent Northern Unionist Willie Frazer disclosed in a interview with Pat Kenny on Newstalk that he played Gaelic Football as a child.

A really interesting one is the late LVF founder Billy Wright. He grew up in a Catholic area in south Armagh and played football up to minor level. At 18 he moved to Portadown and fell in with the wrong crowd.

The GAA doesn't exclude you or even people from organisations that murdered its members from joining.

We can't say the same for the Orange Order and 'loyalist' drum-bangers, the former being deeply sectarian by definition and the latter who celebrates centuries old sectarian battles.

As I've said, make sure your own knickers are clean before inspecting the laundry of others.

So you are now comparing the GAA (a supposed "SPORTING" organisation only with the orange order..... Ffs Well done Tom.... Jaysus you should actually move nearer the action up here in Northern Ireland. You would be right on the ball. :-)

Lol.

It can be stifling if you're not a part of it. Socially for definite in small towns but the bigger problem is lack of support for other sports.

My school cared more about mediocre Gaelic subs than brilliant young golfers. Absolutely zero support or recognition. Where was my physio?

So you are now comparing the GAA (a supposed "SPORTING" organisation only with the orange order..... Ffs Well done Tom.... Jaysus you should actually move nearer the action up here in Northern Ireland. You would be right on the ball. :-)

Lol.

I remember wee billy bingham conducting its sports and social section in a sectarian singalong in windsor park in november 1993 against the RoI.

Prominent Northern Unionist Willie Frazer disclosed in a interview with Pat Kenny on Newstalk that he played Gaelic Football as a child.

A really interesting one is the late LVF founder Billy Wright. He grew up in a Catholic area in south Armagh and played football up to minor level. At 18 he moved to Portadown and fell in with the wrong crowd.

I knew about Wright playing Gaelic and there was another one from that area who did the same when they were younger. Maybe that's why young ones from the unionist side don't play it anymore. It stops them from turning into a scuzbag.

Probably not but then it's a "mixed" team.

Yeah, mixed like a couple of cats in a dog pound.
    I wonder if the bellaghy Wolfe tones honour guard were mixed?? As they walked in front of the INLA guard in their wee frank Spencer berets???? (The inla with the berets btw)

The guard of honour was for an individual's service to the club not for his membership of a terrierist organisation. How would you feel about decoupling all militarism from sport? Would you approve of the removal of the British Army memorial arch of Ulster's (9 county) home ground?

I watch and support Ulster Rugby despite its links with enemies of Irish independence. In fact I was quite impressed that they didn't bow to Poppy-stalinism despite the Jim Allisters of the world getting their knickers in a twist over it.
    GAA games are played by one community

Whose fault is that? You're aware of that nutcase Paisley types saying 'The GAA is the IRA at play' aren't you? One wonders how much that lunatic Paisley inspired the murderers who chose GAA people for death for nothing other than their choice of sport.

I remember wee billy bingham conducting its sports and social section in a sectarian singalong in windsor park in november 1993 against the RoI.

What song was that out of interest? I know charlton admitted they played Irish rebel songs on the bus on the way up. What did wee Billy "conduct"? Serious question as I know that night was rough enough.

I'd prefer an all Ireland football/soccer team myself just like George Best did. Would you like that Timthumbni?

Yeah, mixed like a couple of cats in a dog pound.

The guard of honour not for his membership of a terrierist organisation. .

"Terrierist" organisation???? After talking about cats and dogs.......

Have you killed a dog recently in the car or something? It's clearly playing on your mnd. I did mention that terrorist mad "dog" mcglinchy recently. Maybe that's it.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer an all Ireland football/soccer team myself just like George Best did. Would you like that Timthumbni?

No. Football supporters have too many in general who are too dickish and low class to mix so it's an obvious no from me. They are almost as bad as the GAA... :-)

waffle.. waffle.. waffle

You're avoiding my questions Tim. Here, I'll be a Gentleman and list them for you.

1. Would you like to see an all Ireland soccer team?
    2. Would you approve of the removal of the British Army memorial at Ulster Rugby's home ground?
    3. 'GAA games are played by one community' Whose fault is that?

No.

No? Why not? Irishmen like you an I would almost certainly enjoy more success if we drew our best talent from all of Ireland like we do for our Rugby team.
    Football supporters .. are too dickish and low class to mix ... They are almost as bad as the GAA... :-)

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Look, I hate the GAA, I don't think it's inherently a bad thing but the way it completely monopolised PE in just about every primary school back home was surely a bad thing. Christ I used to love when the rare time we'd be doing anything else at all because there was at least the possibility there'd be a more even playing field where you might be able to do more than just standing there and occasionally passing it to one of the guys who played for a club.

You're avoiding my questions Tim. Here, I'll be a Gentleman and list them for you.

1. Would you like to see an all Ireland soccer team?
    2. Would you approve of the removal of the British Army memorial at Ulster Rugby's home ground?
    3. 'GAA games are played by one community' Whose fault is that?

1. Refer to my post 232 above. Are you stevie wonder in disguise??? And what's with the "soccer" crap? Are you American?

2. No. But I wouldn't have thought the Ulster squad would be providing a guard of honour to one of the squad's da who was well known to be a terrorist. They may have sidestepped that one (as unlikely as it was) Nice trying to compare an old army world war memorial to the INLA though...

3. Well, I'm suggesting it is the GAAs fault... For not bringing into line blatant republican GAA clubs (and there are many) within Northern Ireland. In reality of course it suits the agenda of a lot of the Northern Irish GAA clubs. Not all of course. Some counties were more progressive than others even with the banning of security force members. I've no doubt certain counties within Northern Ireland would vote against allowing them even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I dislike the way the GAA monopolises state coffers.
    E35m of state money to build a 50k stadium in Cork when Munster already has three 45k stadia.
    Makes zero since and it's extremely dubious if it will ever be used to its full potential.

The thing that really grinds my gears is despite this level of public money investment the GAA won't allow "foreign games" in their grounds.

The pettiness of this was shown up recently when a small GAA club in Longford were given a relatively large fine for hosting a Jamie Carragher soccer event. Carragher was in attendance on the day and was later informed of the club being fined.

One of many such embarrassing consequences of the GAAs childish stance on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I dislike the way the GAA monopolises state coffers.
    E35m of state money to build a 50k stadium in Cork when Munster already has three 45k stadia.
    Makes zero since and it's extremely dubious if it will ever be used to its full potential.

The thing that really grinds my gears is despite this level of public money investment the GAA won't allow "foreign games" in their grounds.

The pettiness of this was shown up recently when a small GAA club in Longford were given a relatively large fine for hosting a Jamie Carragher soccer event. Carragher was in attendance on the day and was later informed of the club being fined.

One of many such embarrassing consequences of the GAAs childish stance on the topic.

More public money was used in the building of the AVIVA despite it not being suitable to play Gaelic Games in.

The stadium in Cork is being built as part of the Rugby World Cup bid and loads of GAA stadiums are being made available for that event.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

There are certainly some negative elements.
    Many rural communities become over dependent on their local GAA club.

People who dont play or support could be left feeling left out in the community.
    Also- GAA mad counties' athletes in other sports dont get much of the spotlight..
    Their thunder is taken away almost.

It is easy to understand why athletics athletes especially would have issues too.
    Their sports are individual and running or mountain climbing just wont have anywhere like the publicity of the GAA.

Also- The GAA supports a crony type culture..
    One of the boys. Not desirable really.

Saying that.. overseas GAA clubs seem to be very well run and accommodating to their members needs a lot.
    A lot of expats may have never played before or left the game for various reasons but suddenly become hooked such are the strong bonds and community like atmosphere that overseas clubs provide.

My overseas club.. I find much more enjoyable than my local one at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Both Whitecross I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

3. Well, I'm suggesting it is the GAAs fault... For not bringing into line blatant republican GAA clubs (and there are many) within Northern Ireland. In reality of course it suits the agenda of a lot of the Northern Irish GAA clubs. Not all of course. Some counties were more progressive than others even with the banning of security force members. I've no doubt certain counties within Northern Ireland would vote against allowing them even today.
    I absolutely resent your lies about Ulster GAA. Unless you can provide any evidence as to what the "agenda" of the "Northern Irish GAA clubs" is; other than promoting gaelic games, I suggest you shut up.

Exactly who are these "blatant republican GAA clubs"? Name them.

You have no idea of the voting intentions of the 9 Ulster county boards so stop pretending that you do. If history tells us anything, the ban on security forces was more than justified. Thankfully those days are behind us.

Advertisement