Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find my past vs Ancestry vs Roostireland versions of the RC parish registers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

So i'm out of luck on Irish Genealogy as i want Galway (boyounagh) records and they don't seem to be there. 
    @Montgo - i'm having a look at Roots baptism search now..and i don't see a sponsor search field. Is there a trick to this.  In any case - the records i want aren't on roots either as of yet (confirmed via email) so only FMP/Ancestry are any use to me and then it's visual trawling of the images for sponsor names.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I've been comparing civil records on Irishgenealogy with the parish registers on NLI/FMP/Ancestry & I've discovered some discrepancies in the records.

There are differences in the dates of ceremonies - some people have already commented on people being baptised before they were born [usually to do with covering up for late registration]; however, I've found a few marriages where the parish register has different dates & names and the priest only bothered to record the male witnesses.

So it's always worth checking both sources.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

hblock21 wrote: »
    Really? How?

When you search for a name in the church section, results show the most relevant ones first, i.e. a primary individual in the record, and then below that records were the name is a secondary like a witness or godparent or parent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

This is probably old news to the pros here, but i noticed on Roots Ireland that you can put a zero in the surname field as a kind of master wildcard.  Then you can whittle your matches by Sponsor or witness or whatever you're after.  I also noticed that roots mark unreadable entries as ILLEGIBLE - so it's worth putting that word in the surname field too for completeness when searching.  

I have an Ancestry and a Roots sub and i find that the transcriptions on Roots are much more accurate- but they have less records (or at least don't have the ones i'm looking for).  On Ancestry, Cunningham often becomes Currigan so if you're aware of the common mistakes i would advise testing a few variants in your search field (CUN* and CUR*) etc.

Advertisement