Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello Tipperary - I've a question

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

Well try spending 7/8 hrs waiting in a hospital waiting and demanding answers after doing 150mile daily round trips for wks on end...he knows whos who to help get things sorted. He didnt bump my dad up a waiting list but got us in contact with the correct people to find out what the hell was going on. say what ye like he looks after people..

Maybe if people stopped insulting tipp people over it he might not be as popular at voting time
    i have done similar- no td

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Some bitterly disappointed posters here representative of some of those who voted AAA/PBP or right2change and mistakenly and naively presumed that the rest of the country felt the same
    Well, they don't
    Fact is Tipperay people don't give a toss what anyone thinks about them and are actually highly entertained by the shrill indignance of, for example, some of the posts in this thread
    Michael Lowry is a familiar face around the town and is accessible to everyone
    Just because some posters here won't see the TDs they elected last Friday until 3 weeks before the next election doesn't mean that those TDs are spotless clean
    Far from it
    So don't worry so much about us come down and visit Tipp in the summer
    We're doing just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why does Michael Lowry get your vote? I'd like to know. Thank you

Why not? He has never been charged in court with a criminal offence despite the rubbish that appears in social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭cml387

Lowry gets elected because he does a lot of groundwork.

He helps the many who are not well clued in to filling in forms and using the internet.

He has good contacts in the health services, and he will be told where care services are available and how to apply.

Never underestimate the resentment felt in the country about Dublin "gettin everything". This is not unique to Ireland (look at the complaints about London and how it seems a separate country) and how a local being attacked by the Dublin press will get a rush of support.

It's absolutely no mystery, not unique to Tipperary or Ireland, and no I did not vote for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Why not? He has never been charged in court with a criminal offence despite the rubbish that appears in social media.

Neither was Gerry Adams.

• Advertisement

Neither was Gerry Adams.

To the best of my knowledge Michael Lowry has never been brought in for questioning about the murder of a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Lights On wrote: »
    He does a lot for the area, as simple as that really. He looks out for the people who vote for him and that's why they keep voting for him again and again.

What exactly has he done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

To the best of my knowledge Michael Lowry has never been brought in for questioning about the murder of a woman.

Ok so as long as he's not questioned for murder he can do what he likes. That makes perfect sense. Feckin state of the country!!!

macgrub wrote: »
    What exactly has he done?

Obviously not very much. He's only after topping the poll 5 years on the trot!

Ok so as long as he's not questioned for murder he can do what he likes. That makes perfect sense. Feckin state of the country!!!

You compared him to Adams, not me!

• Advertisement

Obviously not very much. He's only after topping the poll 5 years on the trot!

You mean 5 GEs on the trot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

cml387 wrote: »
    Lowry gets elected because he does a lot of groundwork.

He helps the many who are not well clued in to filling in forms and using the internet.

He has good contacts in the health services, and he will be told where care services are available and how to apply.

Never underestimate the resentment felt in the country about Dublin "gettin everything". This is not unique to Ireland (look at the complaints about London and how it seems a separate country) and how a local being attacked by the Dublin press will get a rush of support.

It's absolutely no mystery, not unique to Tipperary or Ireland, and no I did not vote for him.

Do you not mean Dublin pays for everything? Because that's what's happening right now.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Do you not mean Dublin pays for everything? Because that's what's happening right now.

Really! So all those hundreds of people walking around Dublin estates in Pyjamas and tracksuits at 11am during the week are contributing to the State?
    Maybe if ye had a worker like Lowry up there to kick ass Dublin might not look so miserable.

The GAA and a certain horsey establishment were supposed to be canvassing for him in dinky VW Beetles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Maybe if people stopped insulting tipp people over it he might not be as popular at voting time

So essentially you're saying you all voted him in out of spite. That really doesn't make Tipp look any better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

So why does Lowry have power? Why does any backbench TD have an in with a hospital in Dublin? Or cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd be more concerned how people could vote in a fianna fail TD after what that party done to this country.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

digzy wrote: »
    This is a fact!

The son of a tipp councillor was getting a flight from cork. He lost his passport and rang the dad. Instead of using his influence with the td from his own party the dad rang Lowry who sorted it out with the passport office. Lad picked up his passport the following day!

Lowry gets the things done people want. Most of them aren't worried about his tax affairs or corruption.

You can moan and groan about Lowry and tipp people all you like but it's a ridiculous system that allows glorified county councillors to be elected to a national parliament.

I was due to fly somewhere and realised, the day before, my passport had expired. I got on to the passport office and got it sorted. It is very straightforward. I don't understand why you would need to get a national politician involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Helps out people big time.my own dad was in hospital for wks hospital wasnt telling us a thing as a family stressed to the max once he found out went to the top in the hospital sorted the whole thing out..
    also heard of him been of untold help to a family who had the misfortunate of having to bring a body home from aboard...if u have a disabled family member hes the one that will help you out
    he will know u anywhere in the world ud meet him

What did he do?

The GAA and a certain horsey establishment were supposed to be canvassing for him in dinky VW Beetles.

They were canvassing, but not for Lowry

• Advertisement

So essentially you're saying you all voted him in out of spite. That really doesn't make Tipp look any better

Thank God in Ireland nobody is entitled to an explanation as to how or why anybody else votes, but while your here....
    Who did you vote for and why? I demand you explain yourself? Was your No. 1 elected? What expenses did he or she claim? Whiter then white?
    We've already explained why Tipperay votes for Lowry, now you owe us the same courtesy
    Go ahead there

sasta le wrote: »
    What did he do?

If you live in a big heavily populated urban area it's difficult to imagine, but people in Thurles in particular are used to seeing their TD around the town, or they at least know where and how to access him.
    If your having difficulty accessing a service or obtaining your rights, he seems to have the magic touch when it comes to sorting that out
    That's about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Really! So all those hundreds of people walking around Dublin estates in Pyjamas and tracksuits at 11am during the week are contributing to the State?
    Maybe if ye had a worker like Lowry up there to kick ass Dublin might not look so miserable.

Lets get something clear. Dublin has the lowest unemployment rate in the country. Tip doesn’t, so don’t think for a minute a cent of Tip money is going towards Dublin. The Subsidies are heading one way, and that’s from the cities to other areas, in some cases Dubliners are subsidising their country counterparts in the funding of local services by up to 50 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Thank God in Ireland nobody is entitled to an explanation as to how or why anybody else votes, but while your here....
    Who did you vote for and why? I demand you explain yourself? Was your No. 1 elected? What expenses did he or she claim? Whiter then white?
    We've already explained why Tipperay votes for Lowry, now you owe us the same courtesy
    Go ahead there

Wow, a bit sensitive there, aren't we?

I reviewed each of my candidates websites and pamphlets and tried my best to make an informed decision to vote for the candidate whom I felt would work in the best interest of national economy going forward. In fact, I did not give any preference to the candidate who has been most prominent around our community because I did not agree with his position on the more national issues.

I certainly didn't vote on the basis that someone somewhere else in the country might be "mean" to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Didn't vote for him myself. But Tipperary has got f**k all off any Government anyway in terms of employment and regeneration. Kelly announcing a few jobs in Nenagh just before the election probably was the main reason he got in at all.
    Might as well vote for the lad that fixes the traffic lights.

In terms of the Government, FF, FG, Lab, and soon to be SF they are all centrist cheeks of the same arse anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

They pay for everything because half the country has to live in Dublin in order to get employment.

Wow, a bit sensitive there, aren't we?

I reviewed each of my candidates websites and pamphlets and tried my best to make an informed decision to vote for the candidate whom I felt would work in the best interest of national economy going forward. In fact, I did not give any preference to the candidate who has been most prominent around our community because I did not agree with his position on the more national issues.

I certainly didn't vote on the basis that someone somewhere else in the country might be "mean" to me.

Not sensitive really. More amused really at the condescension shown and the patronising position taken by those disappointed in the emerging result of the GE who, instead questioning their own voting strategy, decide it's all the fault of voters in another constituency, about which they no absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

You cannot have a go at the People of Tipp without mentioning the people of Dublin Mid-west, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin South-West, Cork North-Central and Dublin West who voted in AAA-PBP Utter Crack pots. Ruth Coppinger said openly that she wanted to nationalise Dell... and the 6.5k people voted for her in Dublin-West.....

You cannot have a go at the People of Tipp without mentioning the people of Louth who gave 10.5k votes to Gerry Adams who wants to abolish the Special Criminal Court.

You cannot have a go at the people of Tipp without mentioning the people of Dublin Central where only 52% of voters bothered their holes to go out and vote.

Like it or loath it, but it is blindingly obvious why Michael Lowry was voted in, in Tipperary - Because he works hard for his constituents day in and day out solving the problems they see on an every day basis. It's the exact same reason Paul Murphy etc were voted in. They were voted in by people who do not want to pay water charges, keep their entitlements etc etc.

The big difference is that Michael Lowry can actually deliver on what he is promising (no matter how local it is), but AAA-PBP, Sinn Fein and a lot of other Independent candidates are promising pure fantasies that they could never deliver on even if they were in government.

c_meth wrote: »
    I was due to fly somewhere and realised, the day before, my passport had expired. I got on to the passport office and got it sorted. It is very straightforward. I don't understand why you would need to get a national politician involved.

Yeah but you had to pay for it right?
    We cut through all that kind of stuff here in Tipp.

• Advertisement

Lets get something clear. ...., in some cases Dubliners are subsidising their country counterparts in the funding of local services by up to 50 times.

And yet ye Dubs think that ye are smarter than we are.:D

Advertisement