Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway electrification

Options
  • 27-02-2016 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

Surely it's about time we electrified our mainline railway. People say we're not big enough but other European countries such as Denmark which has a similar population as us have them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Surely it's about time we electrified our mainline railway. People say we're not big enough but other European countries such as Denmark which has a similar population as us have them.

Prepared to bank roll it, easily 20 year's off before we see any wide scale electrification. Commuter around Dublin likely within 5-10 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Prepared to bank roll it, easily 20 year's off before we see any wide scale electrification. Commuter around Dublin likely within 5-10 though.

one problem with electrification in the next few years (which i think does need to be taken into account) is where would the perfectly good suburban diesels go? cork and limerick have perfectly good stock of their own which should give another 15-25 years service respectively, so the 2900s wouldn't really have a home in either place? irish rail won't entertain returning the 2900s to heuston either. they could of course retire the 26/800s early but they are more flexible and suit the nature of those services better (them being mostly 2 car with the odd 4 car working) so it would be wasteful.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

one problem with electrification in the next few years (which i think does need to be taken into account) is where would the perfectly good suburban diesels go? cork and limerick have perfectly good stock of their own which should give another 15-25 years service respectively, so the 2900s wouldn't really have a home in either place? irish rail won't entertain returning the 2900s to heuston either. they could of course retire the 26/800s early but they are more flexible and suit the nature of those services better (them being mostly 2 car with the odd 4 car working) so it would be wasteful.

Cork commuter will likely expanded, Northern Commuter north of Balbriggan will be much closer to 10 years before electrification and expanded in meantime as for the stock they will be in 10 years:

2600 will be 33 years old in 2026
    2800 will be 26 years old in 2026
    2900 will be 24 years old in 2026

Can we see the 2600 sticking around longer than 33 years, while great unit for IE surly economics will not favor them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What will be interesting to see is when the 8100 DARTs will be withdrawn due to age. They are 32 years old this year and it's been 9 years since the refurb program. There will be a big EMU order needed to replace them and add capacity at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What will be interesting to see is when the 8100 DARTs will be withdrawn due to age. They are 32 years old this year and it's been 9 years since the refurb program. There will be a big EMU order needed to replace them and add capacity at the same time.

I would imagine they'd be gradually phased out I couldn't see been withdrawn all at once.

• Advertisement

I would imagine they'd be gradually phased out I couldn't see been withdrawn all at once.

Exactly, they'll have to be replaced as they go over time. As is is there are not enough DART units to meet projected demands.

Dart Underground will likely mark full end of 8100 class or else there will be some complicated scheduling to keep them overground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

People say we're not big enough but other European countries such as Denmark which has a similar population as us have them.
    I assume Denmark got a significant increase in public finances once North Sea oil started flowing back in the 80's'. No facts to support my opinion! Just a random thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Rashers72 wrote: »
    I assume Denmark got a significant increase in public finances once North Sea oil started flowing back in the 80's'. No facts to support my opinion! Just a random thought. :)

I'm not sure if Denmark has oil but it does have access to cheap, Norwegian, hydro electricity. And, of course a much higher population density.

Cost of electrification outside of heavily used commuter routes is prohibitive even with saving in rolling stock, maintenance and energy. The DU did envisage electrification of lines to Maynooth, Balbriggan and Hazelhatch and a large purchase of EMUs. I presume that the DMU would go to serve the longer commuter routes but that was before the recession and the expanded 22 fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Yeah I've heard that the 8100 series as well are really on their last legs and within the next 10 years a major EMU purchasing and expansion program is gonna be needed with the eventual DART expansion to balbriggan and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

But the 8100 series were virtually rebuilt only a few years ago, as mentioned. how could they already be "on their last legs"? I would have assumed that the mid-life refurb programme would've added at least 20 years of good usable life to them?

highdef wrote: »
    But the 8100 series were virtually rebuilt only a few years ago, as mentioned. how could they already be "on their last legs"? I would have assumed that the mid-life refurb programme would've added at least 20 years of good usable life to them?

11 years ago it started, most recent refurbs would be 9 years old, most trains need major overhaul every 10 years

They did get a good 23 year run in service before the refrubs though. But in the early 2000s they really were starting to look knackered and failures started to become more frequent. I was on two sets that had brake failures and one set had a partial power failure on morning. The last 2 of a 6 car set lost all power, this was a rush hour morning train and everyone was just standing in there wedged in complete darkness all the lights went out and the emergencies didn't kick in. The driver only found out by the station monitor.

I can't see them going for 23 years again. I reckon they have about another 5 in them, they would want to start looking for replacements now and start the tendering process.

One thing to remember as well is the 1st batch of units were built back in 1982 and even tho they didnt enter service till 1985 they'd be still close to 35 years old at this point. Money was wasted on the refurb by Fearns as well he spent money on unneeded ICR trains instead of ploughing the money into replacing the old fleet entirely with more modern japanese EMU models. Take into account the older trains cost more to maintain as theyre having to replace parts more and more and you see where im coming from.

Those ICRs are needed now. There is a shortage of them on peak Dublin area services. A 6 ICR set to Drogheda at 5pm is not enough, an 8 car 29K would be better suited capacity wise over comfort. Overall there is not enough rolling stock on the network at peak times.

On the flipside on off peak times there is hardly enough spare to store the excess 29K sets in the Connolly area.

Those ICRs are needed now. There is a shortage of them on peak Dublin area services. A 6 ICR set to Drogheda at 5pm is not enough, an 8 car 29K would be better suited capacity wise over comfort. Overall there is not enough rolling stock on the network at peak times.

On the flipside on off peak times there is hardly enough spare to store the excess 29K sets in the Connolly area.

Maybe but ICRs are not suitable for rush hour commuting theyre too narrow in the interior and a nightmare for those on the platform as they restrict movement and have increased dwell over the 29000's as a result.

Infini2 wrote: »
    Maybe but ICRs are not suitable for rush hour commuting theyre too narrow in the interior and a nightmare for those on the platform as they restrict movement and have increased dwell over the 29000's as a result.

i think he was agreeing with that. i also agree with you. the problem is however ICR sets on the connolly side are maintained at droghida, meaning either an ECS move or running in service. as i said, whoever decided to have their principal maintenence depots for trains serving dublin outside dublin, should be banned from making decisians again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The ICRs were a silly investment on the part of ir. They are designed to be intercity trains which could be served by mk3s would be perfectly good with a bit of tlc. If they needed more commuter trains they they should have gone something similar to the 29k which would be much better for commuter routes.

The ICRs were a silly investment on the part of ir. They are designed to be intercity trains which could be served by mk3s would be perfectly good with a bit of tlc. If they needed more commuter trains they they should have gone something similar to the 29k which would be much better for commuter routes.

the problem was there were not enough mk3s to go around had they kept them, so the ICRS were needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

the problem was there were not enough mk3s to go around had they kept them, so the ICRS were needed.

They would not have needed so many ICRs if the Mk III coaches had not been prematurely scrapped.

Mk III would be more appropriate on principal mainline services, although ICRs have better acceleration for stopping services.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    They would not have needed so many ICRs if the Mk III coaches had not been prematurely scrapped.

Mk III would be more appropriate on principal mainline services, although ICRs have better acceleration for stopping services.

i think we still would have needed the same amount of sets even with the mk3, seeing as the rolling stock monster likes swallowing them up dispite there being more sets then we ever had loco hauled sets.

Are we really going over the ICR debate almost 10 years since they entered services.

The facts are IE financial position would be much worse, service levels reduced and old stock running around the country. Don't get me wrong the Mark III were great but even with a refurb they would never compare to the ICR's.

As for Intercity/Commuter yes not designed for very high density commuter routes but currently it's the best solution short term. There is also a very good case for Dundalk commuter first/last stop before the city center been Donabate or at a push Malahide but line capacity doesn't allow for this. Bet if it was the case ICR's would be a good fit on the route.

With a batch 2700 coming back in the next 12-18 months it may help with getting ICR's off major commuter routes.

The facts are IE financial position would be much worse, service levels reduced and old stock running around the country. Don't get me wrong the Mark III were great but even with a refurb they would never compare to the ICR's.

its hard to know about service levels reducing. cork to bi-hourly at a stretch maybe. however i couldn't see it happening (politically it wouldn't look good if anything) but anything is possible i guess.
    As for Intercity/Commuter yes not designed for very high density commuter routes but currently it's the best solution short term.

thing is it isn't a good solution at all, from the couple of times i have seen them on suburbans they really don't look to me as if they can handle the large amount of traffic they are being asked to handle. in my personal view its more about cutting the ECS moves or other operational conveniences, and therefore nothing will change in terms of their operations. (i agree about cutting ECS moves in theory)
    With a batch 2700 coming back in the next 12-18 months it may help with getting ICR's off major commuter routes.

i would doubt it tbh. i can't see ICRS ever coming off suburban routes 2700 or no 2700. wonder are the 2700s having their couplings fixed so they can work in multiple again, or will the 2800s return to dublin and the 2700s to limerick?

I never thought the 2700s would be considered back for service seeing as Irish Rail put them all up for sale.

The 2700s can work in multiple, their is nothing wrong with their couplers anymore. That was all in the past. Still they are not the most reliable and need far more maintenance than the 26 or 2800s. They were terrible at keeping time on the Rosslare route too, the 2800s were great on that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

We can't even get a few measly CPOs to keep DARTu going, so I doubt our anti-rail FG lot will pony up the dough. Pending their removal from govt. though electrification of mainline would be fantastic. EMUs capable of 250km/hr averaging around 210 km/hr would suit Ireland perfectly allowing people to cross the country in 90 mins.

Before that though we need to get serious about rail in the Dublin region. things cannot continue as is.

I never thought the 2700s would be considered back for service seeing as Irish Rail put them all up for sale.

i think IE maybe realizing they are needed after all?
    The 2700s can work in multiple, their is nothing wrong with their couplers anymore. That was all in the past. Still they are not the most reliable and need far more maintenance than the 26 or 2800s.

oh i didn't know that they fixed the coupling issue. i always thought that IE didn't bother in the end and just left them as 2 car. oh i agree, still though they were a lot better then the other product we got from their constructors.
    They were terrible at keeping time on the Rosslare route too, the 2800s were great on that run.

oh don't i know, i remember the little julting backwards and forwards the 2700s used to do while "trying" to run along the route. horrid horrid things. the 2800s did well but are noisy things and as for the seats, a concrete block is more comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dart Underground will likely mark full end of 8100 class or else there will be some complicated scheduling to keep them overground.

DART Underground has effectively been cancelled. Planning has lapsed and it has no further work planned on it.

cgcsb wrote: »
    We can't even get a few measly CPOs to keep DARTu going, so I doubt our anti-rail FG lot will pony up the dough. Pending their removal from govt. though electrification of mainline would be fantastic. EMUs capable of 250km/hr averaging around 210 km/hr would suit Ireland perfectly allowing people to cross the country in 90 mins.

Before that though we need to get serious about rail in the Dublin region. things cannot continue as is.

Yeah I'd agree with you there Rail has far greater capacity and badly needs new investment and some new management expecially people who know how things run and can deliver actual improvements as well as work with their staff not the current lot. Fine Gael are hopefully on the way out and maybe someone with real interest in improving things might step in. EU report there as well mentioned public transport in dublin is crap as well.

its hard to know about service levels reducing. cork to bi-hourly at a stretch maybe. however i couldn't see it happening (politically it wouldn't look good if anything) but anything is possible i guess.

Not Cork but service increases such as happened on Galway/Westport etc and the morning express services from Galway/Waterford would not be in place.
    i would doubt it tbh. i can't see ICRS ever coming off suburban routes 2700 or no 2700. wonder are the 2700s having their couplings fixed so they can work in multiple again, or will the 2800s return to dublin and the 2700s to limerick?

Suspect 2700 will move to Limerick/Ballina/WRC and 2800's will return to Dublin.

The 2700s can work in multiple, their is nothing wrong with their couplers anymore. That was all in the past. Still they are not the most reliable and need far more maintenance than the 26 or 2800s. They were terrible at keeping time on the Rosslare route too, the 2800s were great on that run.

Word is 5 or 6 will be back.
    DART Underground has effectively been cancelled. Planning has lapsed and it has no further work planned on it.

It will at some point happen in some way but not for a long time.

• Advertisement

Suspect 2700 will move to Limerick/Ballina/WRC and 2800's will return to Dublin.

that is what i suspect as well, all though the 26 and 2800s do make a nice little common fleet between cork and limerick.
    Word is 5 or 6 will be back.

is that all? i hope it isn't and they bring the vast majority back (obviously i would get all can't come back as a couple of units will be needed for parts)

Advertisement